bibler tents

11:53 a.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

thanks to an incident with a pocket knife at summer camp it is time to retire my mh hammerhead 2 tent. long story, don't ask.....

i was gonna try to build my own tent, but you all talked me out of it. and after reading almost every review and article i can find, i think i have decided that i want a bibler ahwahnee. the problem is that no one local sells them. so i need some advice from you all.

i camp 12 mos of the year

i have decided that due bugs and weather, i like to have my gear inside with me

do not care about color

90% of the time it is only me in the tent

i'm worried about condensation

is customer service with bibler/black diamond inferior??? i've found some troublesome articles about repair jobs vs mh & nf

i do backpack a fair amount, but still find myself car / motorcycle camping as well.

in the summer, i like to be bug free with some breeze going thru. what is ventilation like?

i know everyone has their own opinions, but clue me in. for the $$$ is this the way to go?

12:26 p.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

I have had my ElDorado (2-door) for a number of years and use it for all my winter solo camping, plus sometimes when Barb goes along for a winter snowshoe or backcountry ski tour. When it is the two of us, I take the vestibule. I have found BD to be excellent for customer service (don't know what will happen with the new owners, though - haven't had any need to deal with warranty or customer service in quite a few years).

BD has been dropping the Bibler name on their current modifications of the Biblers. But you can still order them directly from BD.

You might also consider Integral Designs. ID (now owned by Rab) has several tents that are very similar in design to the Biblers. You can still order them on line at the ID website.

I have never had a problem with condensation in my ElDorado - that's what ToddTex is designed for. The fuzzy lining wicks the water out, and setting the vents correctly keeps the air properly circulating (vents in the top of the tent open and door zipper open at the bottom, mesh door closed to keep bugs out). I have not tried the newer superlight Silcoat version, though.

4:21 p.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

hey bill-

have you used your eldorado in warmer weather?

i'm wondering your opinion about year round usage?

7:52 p.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

yes, I have used it in warmer weather. It works just fine for year around. But since over the years I have acquired other tents, I generally save the Eldorado for the full-on winter storm conditions when I am solo or with Barb, or the Trango 3.1 when I need a bit more room under those conditions. I have other tents that are adequate for more benign conditions, so why wear out the top-level tents in easy conditions.

8:48 p.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,181 forum posts

Carefully consider this expensive decision. I have an Integral Designs MK3 tent which I used on several trips in the mountains of NC and TN, and while not a Bibler, I believe they may be similar. The single walls were designed for high altitude, small space snow camping. In my neck of the woods, where it rains for 3 days at 40F, well, it's another story. My MK3 leaked on every trip, even after copious seam sealing(on taped seams). I had between 7 and 9 seperate leaks all along the lower tent wall seam, and around the vestibule-less door.

Which brings up another point: Do you really want to camp out for weeks at a time in rain and snow without a vestibule?? And the tacked-on vestibules they use with these tents seem flimsy and like an after thought.

I'd do a bit more research on double wall tents before I made the single wall plunge.

10:10 p.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,025 forum posts

I think the term "4-season" tent is a little misleading. Most tents good for maximum winter snowpack are too heavy and stuffy for summer. For me, this has suggested combinations like: tarp and net-tent for summer, bivy sack for winter, or, hammock in the summer, single-wall single person tent in the winter. Some of the tipi-style tents with internal netting are great for 4-season use (excepting high winds) too. Some of these combinations can work out to be a bit less expensive then getting a top-of-the-line single-wall winter tent. Just another perspective!

9:47 p.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

so the delima lingers......

loved my hammerhead 2. just thinking that perhaps something with less stuff (3 poles, fly) may be easier??? i don't really wanna spend bibler $$$, but not sure what to do. better keep cruising the gear reviews

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply