Solo Camping

10:00 p.m. on September 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

What is the best tent to use for solo camping as far as quality and ease of assembly?

3:07 a.m. on September 5, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

There are literally dozens of small tents to choose from. lot depends on what you need it for. Many tents are just as easy to set up or of the same quality, but are radically different in purpose. A simple two pole single wall tent like a Bibler or BD mountaineering tent will be of high quality and easy to set up, but not necessarily the right tent for you. For winter under severe conditions, I wouldn't use anything less than a two person winter tent with a vestibule, even for solo camping because I like the space.

For three seasons, there are many choices. I used to have a Sierra Design Flashlight, a two pole, two person tent. You could set it up in a few minutes if you were in a hurry. There are many designs similar to it. Look on REI's website for example, to see many of these tents.

Personally, I don't like a design with a bunch of little pieces holding it up, but that appears to be the trend. My winter tent has five poles, but that's not what I mean, look as some of these tents and you'll see what I'm talking about.

3:42 p.m. on September 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

....or a Warbonnet hammock and MacCat tarp set up for 3 season escapades.

4:37 p.m. on September 5, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I did my first solo winter camp in the mountains of BC, in sub-zero temps and nearly 12 ft. of packed snow in January, 1971. I mean a backpack only solo camp as I was already a seasoned BCFS fire L/O person who had spent months alone in the mountains for several years, but, deep winter in BC is different than even spring and early autumn which began and ended our fire seasons. I prefer winter camping to any other season and have done a lot of solo camps, usually only five days long, but, a few of several weeks.

I have used a lot of different shelters and if I had to choose only one, it would be my Hilleberg Soulo tent, hands down. If, I were using a pulk or sled to transport my gear, I probably would go to the Jannu. I also use and like single wall GT tents, having had Early Winters, Bibler and now, an Integral Designs MKI-XL....but, I find the Hilleberg a little easier to erect in a rainstorm and this is a part of winter in BC. HTH.

3:56 a.m. on September 6, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace.

The best set up is what makes you feel comfortable and secure. My preferred solo gear isn't even a tent. It is an ID Unishelter in eVent and a 5x8 Siltarp. Light weight, quick to set up, and can be pitched almost anywhere.

This was the only level ground I could find as a rain storm was quickly bearing down on me. I was unpacked and set up in under 5 minutes.

9:07 p.m. on September 6, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

You will find that "best" is a matter of each persons opinion. We can give suggestions for what we each use and like, but you will need to actually go to check these things out at an outfitter to see what is comfortable for you.

11:16 p.m. on September 6, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

The best is the one that will allow you to go out from the house tonight and sleep on the deck or in the yard. It could be a bivy sac, a hammock, or a tent. It's only about gear insofar as the gear produces bag nights.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply