About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Find a waterproof pant for myself

2:08 a.m. on September 7, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Ok everybody, I have done a decent ammount of looking around the forumand have not come up with much that tells me what I want to know. I am really in the need for a pair of waterproof pants.

In the fall and early winter here in central Illinois, it gets wet. I will be biking a lot and need something waterproof. Eventually, my rides will be 20 mins plus so I will need something that will keep me pretty dry. I

will not have the ability to shower normally considering i m
going to classes and such here at ISU. I was looking at gortex, it

sounds good, maybe a little hot, and rather expensive, but waterproof.

Pertex also sounds nice accept I have a feeling I would end up a tad

damp by the time I got to class. Really, I'm looking for most

breathable and most waterproof. Any and all suggestions area welcome!

thanks a lot!!
By the way,what about this waterproof pant?

Beta AR Pant

3:58 p.m. on September 7, 2010 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

If you plan on riding at any decent pace, the amount of sweat you perspire will leave you soaked under water proof garments. Depending on air temperature, you may even become overheated, since these garments also reduce air circulation around your body. You can open the vents on such equipped garments, but this will also let in the rain that is coming at you sideways while under way.

I found rain garments useful only to keep me warm, not dry, while cycling in cold weather; otherwise I just wear my cycling jersey, and carry a dry change of clothes to wear upon arrival at my destination.
Ed

6:40 p.m. on September 8, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Arc'Teryx does make some very good equipment and will no doubt be waterproof, however like it was said above, your sweating will most likely make you nearly as wet as you would be NOT wearing any waterproof pants. The Arc'Teryx gear is tough and well made, but you do pay the price for that (I personally own one of their GoreTex ProShell jackets, Theta AR).

11:31 p.m. on September 8, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,742 forum posts

I'd forget about waterproof pants for all the reasons already posted. I used to ride a lot. I bike toured in NZ, often in the rain. Get yourself some leg warmers-wool or synthetic. A better solution, even in cold rain and far cheaper.

btw, I'd never buy anything from that company you linked. The phone numbers at the bottom are bogus and no one in their right mind uses Western Union to pay for anything over the Internet. It's like tossing money out the car window.

2:06 a.m. on September 9, 2010 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I got the last year Beta LT (I think) and love them a lot! great for hiking and doing things active.

But like the rest of the posts, I used to cycle in London in winter time for about one hour a day and did it with something light and warm and changed when I made it to work. I used a Rap Pertex top and that was just fine. In a real bad day have a GTX top.

If you still want a waterproof pant to cycle with I would look on a pair made of event. I love my arc one but I think you may want to look on this one:

Cruiser LT Pant by Westcomb:
http://www.westcomb.com/products/product.asp?ProductSeason_ID=13&Product_TypeSeasonID=1

Good luck!

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply