hat patterns

12:06 p.m. on September 7, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

i'm replacing a well-worn hat - a non-windproof, high loft fleece that's good for warmth under a hood, and has the fuzzier side inward - does a good job wicking moisture. have had the same one from patagonia for 10+ years, kind of a reverse version of their retro fleece, and the loft is more or less squashed. seems like every mountaineering hat or beanie is windblock. good for many applications, but not for everything.

because no one sells a hat like this, i'm getting a yard or two of fabric from malden mill, thermal pro high loft. anyone know where to get a good pattern for a hat or beanie? i have access to a sewing machine and enough know-how to follow a relatively simple pattern.

thanks.

1:33 p.m. on September 7, 2010 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

If your old one is in such bad shape anyway, why not disassemble it and use your favorite as the pattern for it's own replacement?

3:24 p.m. on September 9, 2010 (EDT)
50 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I agree with F_Klock- take your old beanie apart, find some newspaper, and trace yourself a pattern...remember to leave yourself at least 1/4" for the seam when you sew it together. More if the material tends to unravel. Use a stretch stitch to sew hat together, and then u have a new beanie! It's actually pretty simple and shouldn't take you more than an hour or 2 to put together.

Happy Trails and good luck!

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply