Rab summit 900. Any Good?

6:09 p.m. on September 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Just a quick question. I'v been on the lookout for a 4 season downbag,but my budget is quite small. I came across a Rab Summit 900 on sale for 250 euro. I do alot of winter climbing/camping in Scotland and the Alps, and have some south American plans and thinking about colder enviorments. Is this a good sleeping bag and price for my intended use? Any info is helpfull. Thanks.

8:18 p.m. on September 15, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Hi Eric. Welcome to Trailspace.

I do not have experience with the Rab Summit 900. It know it retailed for $500 (US), which would be about 384 Euros. So, the price alone sounds reasonable.

Generally, the reviews we do have on Rab sleeping bags are positive: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/rab/sleeping-bags/

If you do get the bag, I hope you'll report back with a gear review.

Maybe someone else will have info for you.

2:17 a.m. on September 18, 2010 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Hey,

Last year Rab redid their line and this is why it's hard to get any info/reviews on their product range.

Rab is a top UK manufacture and their product are well made. I used to sell their gear and had many happy customers so I think that you won't be sad with their bag. Saying that, I don't think they are the best of them all but for this price it's hard to get any better and the question is if you will need something better. By saying better I will only mean companies that are base in the US and still hand made their bags.

Go with the Rab!

11:15 a.m. on September 18, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have had down bags from European, American and Canadian manufacturers, all of the highend makers and have sold or given away all but two of them. For winter use in BC and "The Territories", I have an Integral Designs XPD-II "Himalayan" custom bag with overfill; this is a superb bag, but, while equal to and in some ways superior to the Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering bags I had, it is a bit heavy and hard to stuff with it's "Endurance" shell fabric.

Quite by accident, I obtained a "Shocking Blue" from Valandre and this is THE BEST sleeping bag I have ever owned or used in 46+ years of backpack mountain camping. I cannot praise this bag highly enough and seldom use any of my others now.

I would suggest finding a used Valandre as I have seen them listed and they are a lifetime investment. Failing that, I would look at Valandre's and PHD's more basic bags before anything else and somehow find the $$$$ or in your case, the "quid". A really good bag is one of the most crucial items of "kit" that you must have and this is one place to spend what it takes to get the best, IMHO.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply