New Bivy

5:15 p.m. on September 11, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Hey everyone,

I purchased this new Bivy off Ebay. Does anyone else have any experience with these? They are U.S. military design and made of gortex. Looks like it will do the job and it's super lightweight. I am going into the mountains and I don't want to carry the weight of a tent.

9:05 a.m. on September 13, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I have one, and I like it so far. I have only used it a couple times, and haven't had any real rain while I've been out, but I am pretty confident it will do the job well.

Here is my "light n' fast" setup that consists of a ProlitePlus and sleeping bag inside the Bivy, underneath a silnylon poncho tarp rigged up with my hiking staff:

1:42 p.m. on September 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I bought one several years ago as a cheap way to try a bivy. Personally I think mine is rather heavy, for example the zipper on mine is too beefy considering there are also snaps to close the bivy. I've used mine a couple of times and the jury is still out as far as whether I like using bivy's. I think I prefer a larger tarp and a groundcloth for better coverage from rain and just skip the bivy.

3:34 p.m. on September 14, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Definately not "super lightweight"--think MLD's "Superlight Bivy"--but the military bivy is waterproof and quite durable. I've spent some time in them.

4:21 p.m. on September 14, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Just an FYI to anyone using a Gortex bivy like these, which don't have any ventilation when they are zipped al the way up-

When it is below about 15F your breath will condense and then freeze on the inside of the fabric, thus sealing the micro pores which allow the fabric to breath. This can make the chamber compeltely airtight, and you can thus suffocate. I had a friend nearly kill himself because he was not aware of the need to ventilate his breath to the outside of the bag.

12:04 a.m. on September 15, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

I would highly recommend also carrying at least a small tarp so you can get set up as Gonzan shows in his photo. Being trapped in a bivy during an extended downpour or sleet storm is a miserable way to spend an afternoon or night.

A tarp will give you more flexibility and allow you to keep the bivy open enough for ventilation, or to dig in you pack for food, etc. without getting drenched.

I have always thought of a bivy as a survival shelter, certainly not geared for camp comfort, but certainly doable with a tarp.

4:36 p.m. on September 15, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Gonzan - Thanks for the reply. I am going to make an igloo this winter and knowing about venting your breath is a good tip.

Trouthunter - I am also packing a 10x12 tarp.

5:44 p.m. on September 15, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Post deleted

I had a comment to Caleb (Gonzan) but Mike (Trouthunter) addressed my comments (how do you stay dry while transitioning from being moble, to nesting in the set up Caleb uses).

Ed

2:57 a.m. on September 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

I do the snow cave thing on occasion and the waterproof bivvy is the way to go. If you're gonna knock up an igloo start early as they take forever to do properly. I'd only recommend it if you're out for more than a week or if you're bored and want some exercise but it's something every avid snow goer should have a crack at once.....once.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply