sleeping bag help

10:11 p.m. on October 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

well im new to backpacking and have only been on one trip. me and my wife recently got marmot eiger 48 packs and a marmot halo 4p tent which we both really like and i dont mind the weight. now we are working on sleeping bags. we really like the marmot gear and are looking at the never winter 30 and the trestles 30. i would really like the never winter but the trestles is more affordable. only question is how well do these bags compact down? with the eiger 48 there isnt all the space in the world so i would like something that compacts down fairly well. the bags we are using now are my green army issue bags. what do you recommend we do? thanks.

7:29 a.m. on October 4, 2010 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I dont know anything about those bags. Just make sure they zip together :)

8:07 a.m. on October 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

I don't compress my sleeping bag ever. I pack it in loose to fill any voids in my pack to stop anything moving around, as does just about everyone I travel with.

If you're doing 3 season trips look into a down quilt and Exped mats. You can roll the quilt and mat together and chuck it in a dry bag and hang it from your pack somewhere.

You'll probably want a bigger pack if you're out for more than a couple of days in mild temps though. Ideally, buy the gear then get a pack to fit it all in.

8:57 a.m. on October 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

thats a good idea to just pack it in freely. i will have to start doin that. as far as the pack goes, we dont plan on goin out more then a couple days at a time.

12:06 a.m. on October 5, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

How's that Marmot Kool-aid? Anywho.........how much do you want to spend? Western Mountaineering bags are light, warm, and pack tiny. So do the Marmot bags like the helium.

1:59 p.m. on October 5, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

i have a marmot sawtooth, a bag rated to +15, that packs pretty small. weighs a little under 3 pounds. the sawtooth uses down with similar loft to the never winter. Marmot makes 2 other bags rated to about +15, the pinnacle and the helium. basically, the higher the loft, the more you pay (and the bag weighs a little less). so, the pinnacle is about 8 ounces ligher than the sawtooth, and the helium is about 8 ounces lighter than the pinnacle.

i found the sawtooth on sale and saved $120 bucks, compared to the pinnacle. was willing to trade the 8 ounces for the money. Marmot's sleeping bags are good quality.

3:48 p.m. on October 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

another quick question...i will be moving up to fort lewis in washington within the next 4 months so i will be doing backpacking up there. what temp rating bag do you recommend for that area? would the 30 be enough? dont think i will be doing much winter stuff.

4:48 p.m. on October 5, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

To Mikemorrow,

Are there any really good bags that you know or have heard of that zip together? I have only found one bag that is a "double bag" but it weighs just shy of 5 lbs. I haven't tried it, but do regular mummy bags zip together? I have the WM Apache microfibers....guess I should try it, but just didn't want to snag or tear anything!

10:09 a.m. on October 6, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

both of my kids use the "tressles15" for boy-scout camping. both of the boys really like their bags. especially the zippers on both sides; that way they can be used more like a blanket.

unfortunately

these bags do not compress down very well. we tried to put them into my north face terra 45 pack, and they don't fit very well. best for an external frame pack. imho

1:47 p.m. on October 6, 2010 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Bags that zip together might not be a good idea. It can be very hard to regulate your individual temperatures. Two winter bags, when zipped together, may have too much air circulation anyway and not meet the specs. I suggest a warmer bag for the female and then at least you won't have two bags limited to the same season etc.

Jon

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply