Hey Overmywaders!! (Pivetta question...)

11:18 p.m. on October 24, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

I just picked up a pair of Pivetta 8's off the ebays, and I was hoping you could re-post a few of the pics you have of your Pivetta 8 boots...

I did as much research as I could before bidding on them, and they look the part, but I can't quite tell. It's just that a few things don't quite match up, like he says it has the usual "Pivetta for D.M.C." label on them, but then the pictures that should show such a label (on the tongue, right?) do not. There's five pictures used in total in the ad, here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220684429270&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Pictures blown up here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=220684429270

The auction just ended an hour ago, so you should still be able to view the pages.

Also, I can't seem to find any nails in the soles, nor other identifying markings of any kind. The stitching, welt construction, forefoot area, and leather all look spot-on, however. At any rate the seller has a wonderful rating with over 500 transactions, and has no reason to lie, so I'm pretty sure the boots are real, but I'd like to have you weigh in on this if at all possible..

11:28 p.m. on October 24, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Wait...I think see a faint cursive "Pivetta" on the outer ankle near the top...anyone else see that?

3:28 p.m. on October 27, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Does anyone have a picture of Pivetta 8's they can post?

2:28 p.m. on December 22, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Pillowthread,

Hey, I'm sorry I didn't notice this thread in Oct. I was really busy that month and didn't notice much : )

Here are some photos of the three most popular Pivetta hiking styles, the Pivetta 5 (smooth-out), the Pivetta 8 (rough-out), and the toughest of all the Eiger (black Smooth-out) :

Piv51.JPG

Piv52.jpg

piv81400.JPG

p83400.jpg

p85400.jpg

p81400.jpg

pivettaeiger1.JPG

pivettaeiger2.JPG

The tag shown is not always present. Sometimes there is a stamping "Pivetta" on the outside of the boot, sometimes there is writing in gilt "Pivetta" on the outside of the tongue.

Reed

9:21 p.m. on December 22, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Those boots are pieces of art.

3:52 p.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

They are great looking boots, Overmywaders. The ones I ordered turned out to be the genuine article. I was worried because I was the only one to bid on them, and, since they were apparently nearly-new boots in a common size, I thought there would have been the usual flurry of last-minute bids. I thought, then, that I had somehow been duped, as I expected them to go for a much higher ending price than they did.

So I do now own a pair of Pivetta 8's that fit better than any other hiking boot I've ever won. The only footwear I have that fits more precisely is my pair of custom-cut White's lace-to-toe Smokejumpers, but those are not suited for approach mountaineering, as the Pivetta's are. Are they were actually nearly-new; the leather footbeds had not even started to show the imprint of the stitching underneath when I first got them; the bellows on the tongues had not even shown the slightest hint of creasing.

I've put about 50 miles on them now, and they are forming to my feet nicely. They offer a great deal of lateral support, with a bit of fore-foot flex. They climb extremely well; indeed, I could probably climb 5.8 in them. I'm too excited to see where these boots take me...

7:57 p.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

pillowthread,

Excellent! I wore my first pair of Pivetta 8's every day from 1973-1984 (when  a cobbler in putting on new soles butchered them).

I found, and still find, that only the Pivettas and a few FGL Vasques of the same era fit me straight from the box. I wear no insoles with them, but they are always comforting to put on. I took my 8's through every imaginable condition - scree, swamps, sheep wallows, pig sties, streams, and fields of clover - and the rough-out leather took the abuse well.

I hope you enjoy yours as I still enjoy mine (I use two pair of 8's, a pair of fives, and a pair of Muir Trails).

Best regards,

Reed

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply