what's wrong with the warranty department of mountain hardwear?

9:08 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

the PU/SIL fly of my Skyledge 2 tent is  sticky and the welded zipper flap let loose.

I sent dozens of emails to e-mails to warranty@mounatainhardwear.com but got no reply.And called 1-800-953-8398 but it's always the answering machine.

This situation lasts for more than a month now.

Does anyone know what happen to mountain hardwear?

9:29 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

...I sent dozens of emails to e-mails to warranty@mounatainhardwear.com but got no reply.And called 1-800-953-8398 but it's always the answering machine.

Did you use the direct form on the Mountain Hardwear website?

Did you send the email to warranty@mounatainhardwear.com as in your post, or did you send the email to warranty@mountainhardwear.com?

Did you leave a message at the number you give above (1-800-953-8398) or at the Customer Service number (1-877-927-5649), or did you just get to the voice message and hang up?

I have only rarely had a reason to contact Mountain Hardwear's Customer Service or Warranty Departments (maybe 3 times over the years) and always gotten a quick, courteous, helpful, and rapid response. I have seen no comments or heard any comments to indicate there is any problem at the company. This past weekend, one of my friends had just received his hardshell back from their repair department and said the turnaround was faster than he expected. So that seems to say they are still doing business.

9:36 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks a lot

.It's spelling mistake.I send emails to warranty@mountainhardwear.com.

I will call 1-877-927-5649 tomorrow.

9:43 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I have three MH products, two tents and a shell, I have in the past received good customer service from MH myself.

As Bill says double check your contact info, I'm sure they will make things right if this is a manufacturing defect.

6:34 a.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,994 forum posts

The Mountain Hardwear Warranty web page gives all the pertinent info too. 

According to the web page, (877) 927-5649 is the customer service number, (800) 953-8398 is the warranty department.

11:08 a.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

achilleushsu!

Did you get this resolved? The warranty department at Mountain Hardwear is an impeccable and very proud bunch. They take their work very seriously and would love to give you the service you expect from MHW. If it is still unresolved, call (800) 953-8398 and ask for Rowan.

12:49 p.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Hmmm, Erin are you a MH employee? If so I am very impressed.

8:17 p.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thank you, Erin.I'll try it.

10:12 p.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

I was going to say "they're crap". I had a shell I wore in the rain twice, and the third time it leaked and wetted out. They sent it back with a note explaining what condensation is. No warranty. Yep, I was working up a sweat standing in 37 degree rain.

8:19 p.m. on November 17, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I've got the RA # now.Thank you all.

10:02 p.m. on November 17, 2010 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

I was going to say "they're crap". I had a shell I wore in the rain twice, and the third time it leaked and wetted out. They sent it back with a note explaining what condensation is. No warranty. Yep, I was working up a sweat standing in 37 degree rain.

I have worked up a sweat hiking and skiing in -40 deg weather and getting soaked inside my hardshell jacket and pants. And gotten lots of condensation inside my hardshell in rain in the 30s and 40s. Especially when the hardshell hadn't been washed in quite a while and had accumulated a lot of body oils.

12:13 p.m. on November 18, 2010 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

skinewmexico
What kind of shell do you have? Does it have a coating (PU) or a membrane (goretex-PTFE)? You gotta be careful, you can work up a sweat in the rain cuz your jacket does'nt breath as well in those conditions. The higher the humidity level outside, the less it let's water vapor out. I own a Cohesion Mountain Hardwear shell. Its coated with their Conduit DT. Wich is, from what I gather, a Polyurethane (PU) coating that's laminated to the nylon. They dont breathe as much as gore-tex and since the inside surface is slick, water beads up on it really easily. On the other side the lining inside a gore-tex shell (pro or performance) is lined with a nylon that doesn't let condensation form up as easily. Remember, all shells are there to protect from what's outside, not inside. So basically, you'll be wet, but not from the rain. As for the leaks, look inside your jacket. Are the seams unglued? If so send it back, that's not normal. Does the coating has any holes in it? If it doesn't there no way water can get through.

10:59 p.m. on November 19, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

It's Conduit, I did send it back, and after backpacking over 40 years, I think I know when I'm sweating inside my jacket. Accumulated body oils? Did you read the "third time I wore it" comment? Standing? Less than 5 hours total use. But you guys are right, I'm probably an idiot. It is, after all, Mountain Hardware.

4:15 p.m. on November 23, 2010 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I cant seem to find the part where we mention you to be an idiot. Maybe I missed it. As for the rest I'm at lost, maybe you got a flunk product. But you know what they say, better luck next time.  

5:13 p.m. on November 26, 2010 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

what i find interesting is that mountain hardwear sells many things with Conduit but also sells some of the more expensive technical shells with gore tex pro shell.  seems to me they're saying (without really saying) that they think gore tex may work a little better.  or perhaps it's just a response to gore tex's reputation in the marketplace.

i have a down parka with Conduit, and it works fine for the rare occasions where it sees freezing rain; never had a conduit shell jacket or pants, though. 

8:26 a.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Two words: marketing and "Whatpeoplethinkbreathesbetter"

As long as people will be convinced that one is better than the other they'll keep buying it. Gore-tex's warranty is also bomb proof. So in a sense your buying a product that has two warrantys, sorta. There is a study that I found once on the web that I non longer can retrace. It was I believe the result of an inquiry made the US militatry about breathable membranes. It seemed legit and was pretty diverting to look at. If I can find it again. I will post the link.  

11:22 a.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

I have to say MH went out of their way for me. I had bought a used tent online and it didn't have a care manual. i contacted them and they down loaded a PDF file directly to me. The manager went above for me by answering me in a timely fashion. Now I'v become a loyal customer do to this. Don't know what to tell ya.

5:33 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

As long as people will be convinced that one is better than the other they'll keep buying it. Gore-tex's warranty is also bomb proof. So in a sense your buying a product that has two warrantys, sorta. There is a study that I found once on the web that I non longer can retrace. It was I believe the result of an inquiry made the US militatry about breathable membranes. It seemed legit and was pretty diverting to look at. If I can find it again. I will post the link.  

Deviating just a little bit (sorry) Why doesn't someone make a single wall tent made out of Gore-Tex? Wouldn't hat be the fix for condensation in single walls?

8:54 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

Deviating just a little bit (sorry) Why doesn't someone make a single wall tent made out of Gore-Tex? Wouldn't hat be the fix for condensation in single walls?

They do. Except that the companies that make such tents make proprietary version of a waterproof/breathable. Integral Designs, which you have probably seen mentioned on Trailspace (that is, if you have read all umpty million posts) uses "Tegraltex" and Black Diamond's Bibler division (started as a company by Todd Bibler) uses "ToddTex". These two add a fleece-like inner surface that gathers the condensation (if you forget to adjust the ventilation properly, which is an art in and of itself) and wicks it through the waterproof/breathable outer skin. I have a Bibler Eldorado and find it works very well.

Several of the major quality tent companies make tents of Goretex and eVent, though General Electric (makers of eVent) strongly discourage the making of tents from eVent (has to do with meeting the fire codes in several states, same reason that Hilleberg does not sell their tents here in California).

But the other part of the answer is in my comment above "if you forget to adjust the ventilation properly". Any tent can collect a lot of condensation in the right (or wrong, depending on your viewpoint) conditions. That includes double wall tents (been there, got soaking wet, until I learned the hard way and a lot of experimentation). Hey, if a scientist (and a theoretician at that) can learn by experimentation, anyone can. (Do you know the difference among a technician, engineer, and scientist? Answer - a scientist is an engineer who can't design anything, and an engineer is a technician who can't build anything - a topnotch technician at the aerospace company I used to work for had that on a sign above his workstation, one of those kind of technicians who can make anything work, no matter how daft the scientist who dreamed up the idea and how incompetent the engineer who designed it).

8:58 a.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

The fact that they make it dont make em the best suitable product for you. I still my good ol' Trango 2 from MH. And as said before ventilation is key. Art? Yes!! The times I got my down bag wet a numerous and theres nothing quite as fun as being waken up by the accumulated condensation o the fly, falling directly in your face cuz your"buddy" had to pee at 4 am. Tricks that can help: Those special candles that comme in a protective glass, (read, be careful). And buying the right tent with most possible ventilation. Most of the major brands equal themselfs in my opinon. 

7:10 a.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

The US military has SAS tents made of gore-tex.  They have been using them for well over 20 years...but gore-tex really only went commercial recently.  It is hard to find Gore-Tex tents in general but there are a tonne of various bivy sacs and bivy shelter that currently use Gore-Tex Respretory Posative fabric.  It is extremely expensive to use Respretory posative gore fabric and perhaps the reason manufactures dont readily use it.  A bivy shelter using Gore-Tex Respretory Posative Fabric will retail at about $320...just imagine what an entire 2-3 man tent would cost!

Great question...I have thought about this many/many times.

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply