What is the Brightest burning Propane Lantern

1:51 p.m. on November 17, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

anyone with any ideas as to what  the brightest burning Propane Lantern would be  or what brand  and where to buy?

Im  looking for something that throws out the max amount of light that runs on Propane Only.  

Thanks

6:14 p.m. on November 17, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,255 forum posts

What physical size and how portable? There are propane lanterns that put out the equivalent of several hundred watts through multiple globes. Since you specify propane, it sounds like you are not looking for something backpackable. In another of your posts, you state that you have an Ozark Trails tent, which is a car camping tent. This indicates that you are looking to use the lantern for car camping rather than backpacking.

Are you looking for one of the small cylinder propane bottle types or the large propane tank type? 

Small cylinder type -

5132-700.jpg

Large tank type -

5115-775T.jpg
Keep in mind that propane must be stored under high pressure. So the cylinders and tanks are very heavy with thick walls.

Butane-fueled lights are much smaller and lighter and more familiar to Trailspace members, who are primarily backpackers rather than car campers.

4:27 p.m. on November 19, 2010 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I take a OCU candle light. No need to light up the whole Oregon Coast. Thats not part of camping to me.

9:09 p.m. on November 19, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts
12:05 a.m. on November 20, 2010 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Come on guys, aren't we being a little too PC to imply a bright lantern makes someone an egregious light polluter?  Oh BTW, that big bright spot on the west coast in the satellite image isn’t LA, it just my backyard BBQ.  How would you like your steak?

Back to the question: I prefer some of the newfangled high output LED lamps.  They cast plenty of light and are much less weighty, less bulky, and safer than gas fired lanterns.

Ed

9:05 a.m. on November 20, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

If your car camping and can use something large and bulky: Coleman Pinnacle propane lantern, their brightest lantern, it also has push button ignition.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2600-A50&categoryid=1010&brand=

If you are backpacking and need something small and lightweight (for a lantern) go with:

Primus -  not propane but an isobutane canister. Canisters are similar in function to a propane cylinder.

http://www.rei.com/product/784354

Snow Peak - uses a butane / propane mix canister.

http://www.rei.com/product/643063

3:15 p.m. on November 20, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

Come on guys, aren't we being a little too PC to imply a bright lantern makes someone an egregious light polluter? 

I'm sorry ... I just meant it in good humor (but obviously a failed attempt).  I didn't mean to be insulting.

11:25 p.m. on November 20, 2010 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Come on guys, aren't we being a little too PC to imply a bright lantern makes someone an egregious light polluter? 

I'm sorry ... I just meant it in good humor (but obviously a failed attempt).  I didn't mean to be insulting.

Perhaps I was the only one not to catch on.  Oh well, I was never the brightesst light in the room.  But really, that bright spot on the West Coast IS my BBQ.

Ed

11:09 p.m. on November 22, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

the orion brunion    lantern      they claim  theirs gives off the equiv of 250 watts  of light.     

or the  Pinicle  lantern by Coleman.      depending on your budget

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply