Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket and Native eyewear ski goggles

7:11 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

I have a points program with my employer from sales leads. Through the program I have accumulated a number of points over two years and have been able to get a Garmin rhino 530 gps, and a canon powershot sx210is.

There really isn't anything else outdoorsy that I can get but just noticed they added the Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket, and Native eyewear ski goggles. I need both a puffy/insulating layer and goggles for winter, and seeing as how these items would be "free" I am strongly considering getting them.

Do any of you have experience with either of these items?

11:10 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

I have a Nano Puff jacket. For my purposes, it is really well-suited. The question is how will you use it? As someone posted in another thread, there is winter and then there is winter. Winter in LA (I think the other thread mention said something about LA) is different from winter in the SFBay Area (which has many microclimates) is different from winter in the High Sierra is different from winter in the Wasatch is different from winter in Madison, WI (where my Young Son lives) is different from winter in Boston (where I shivered on many a winter day, despite having what should have been appropriate clothes) ...... you get the idea.

My first acquaintance with Pata's Puff line was a number of years ago when running a Climbing Instructor course outdoor session at Pinnacles NM in mid-November. Now you might think that Pinn would be warm. I did, so did not carry a really warm layer. Luckily, my co-director had his Puff jacket (this was before the MicroPuff and the NanoPuff). I borrowed it and was plenty warm the rest of the day.

I use the NanoPuff for an insulating layer under a hardshell during cold, rainy weather (we have had a lot of that here in the SF area the past couple of months) and also used it during my Sept New England trek. Stuffs great (tiny little ball), and insulates reasonably. I haven't used it yet in snow conditions. Since you live in CT, I think the NanoPuff would serve you pretty well. But if you go to climb Mt Washington or Katahdin in January, I suggest something a bit warmer.

Only thing I know about those goggles is from seeing them in REI and at the ORShow. I wasn't particularly impressed with them. I have been quite happy with my Smith and Bolle goggles (the Bolles take a prescription insert and the Smiths fit nicely over my distance glasses, in both cases with minimal fogging - no fogging if I remember to use one of the anti-fog cloths). But you didn't mention either of them on the "points" list.

"Free"? Since you had to work hard accumulating reward points by the sweat of your brow over two years, I wouldn't really consider it "free". But then I accumulate points in various ways and ya gotta use them somehow or lose them (that's a major reason I went to New England in Sept - I had United Airline points that were about to expire).

8:29 a.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

Thanks for the input Bill. I typically spend all of my time in the Northeast. I know the points earned arn't exactly free, but they do expire every two years, so I basically need to use them or lose them. I do live in CT, and 99% of all of my trips are contained to the Northeast. I go out year round, rain sleet shine or snow.

My layers for the winter currently include a cap 3 base layer top/bot, a l/s hiking shirt, a army surplus polypro top/bot, a 200wt fleece pullover, and my ECWCS goretex parka/pants with liner if really cold. Plus gloves/mitts and hat.

I am looking at the nano puff to take the place of the polypro and fleece  for most of the winter months by layering it under my parka. And to use it year round as a camp piece, obviously requiring a few more layers while in camp in the heart of winter.

By the looks of reviews I have seen online the general consensus is that with a decent baselayer the nano is comfortable down to about 30F +/-5F while not active.

2:42 p.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Bill,

Do you have any info on the Mont-bell U.L.Down Inner Jacket? If so how does it compair to the Nano Puff?

9:53 a.m. on December 4, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

+1 for the nano puff. I have one, and it's a great garment for my puropses. Lighter than a fleece, packs smaller, warmer, and windproof. I have the pullover from last year, with a simple elastic hem and cuffs.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply