Would love your feedback on a concept chair

1:09 a.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

So I have a new concept for an outdoor foldable chair: what would you think of a folding chair that adjusts the height of all its legs with one motion so you could set the chair up on a hillside or uneven terrain at a camp site?  Right now you can buy a chair that sits low to the ground where you can change the height of the front legs a little bit (http://www.rei.com/product/767162).  My concept chair would allow you to sit at a regular height and the legs would automatically do all their own height adjusting with one trigger motion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6UOUMXzQlg). 

Would this be something useful for you?  How much would you pay for a concept chair like this?  And how much more would you pay for a feature like this versus a typical folding chair?

9:24 a.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I honestly dont know. But my advise would be: "Who are your customers going to be?"

I usally travel light and dont carry a foldable chair. When I'm car camping it's usually on campgrounds that have a flattened out camp, there again, no need.  When canoeing I'm close to always on my own on a 12ft boat. I carry the essentials only. That answers your first question. As for second one concerning price, if the difference was under 20$ I might consider getting it when comparing product. Maybe.

Hope it helps a bit. Good luck with your idea. 

10:22 a.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

It isn't something I would use. 

1:41 p.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,243 forum posts

I have a small 4 legged tripod-style chair that I use sometimes on hiking trips. But a chair like that would'nt be a backpacking chair, but I bet it would sell like crazy in Walmart and to people who car camp. Looks like a good design. Tho it would be cheaper would it not to design the legs to be adjustable by hand, rather than self-adjusting? Knowing how like setting near lake and stream edges are often sloped, it would be nice for fishermen too. Great design!

Depending on where you sell it, I would say its a $20-40 chair? I am guessing. I have a chair something like that but I bought it a Goodwill for $5. Use it in the backyard for BBQs and car camps with friends. Too bulky and heavy for backpacking. I also use a Crazycreek chair outdoors.

7:01 p.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I would like to have a chair that addresses the functions you describe, but only while hiking in the backcountry.  Unfortunately the chair featured in your tube appears way too heavy.  My target weight is near one pound.

Ed

11:33 a.m. on January 30, 2011 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

i had a very heavy family member think one those $12 bag chairs could hold her( aunt Rita) ha ha . 2 plastic corner joints blew out. wanting to fix it . dismantled it to it raw pieces plastic brakets , mental tubes , and seat material. unless you can't find strong wood on your trip this won't work.use just the seat  material , some sewing might be required depending on the chair. i can lash together quadra pod seat stand from wood found around my camp site . i always have extra rope with me . i have used my trecking poles to hold the back up .i don't recommend it . this takes practice. i have also sew one into just a flat triangle no back ,which requires a wood tripod . it is kind of like the chair talked about before. i padded my seat with an old sleep pad. you can use it on the ground to .since the seat is long tie a rope to the far corners and it is good for collecting fire wood ,strong too.that is what i have done . could  also be incorparated into some kind of pack flap or rap around to keep tied down gear from flapping around .just a thought

mudfoot  

3:29 p.m. on January 30, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I can not imagine carry it around. Looks good for camping if you take it straight out of the car at camping grounds. Tail gating parties or BBQ's. I would buy a less expensive chair with just as good quality though.

11:56 a.m. on February 8, 2011 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I think this is a great design especially for fishermen as someone else stated above.  My partner likes to fish and I see a lot of guys in the regular chairs that are not level and have even seen a few topple over in my day.  I think this might be your market.  Personally I backpack a lot and if I were to take a chair it would have to have a back rest, be super light and also quite small, is that possible?  LOL  I wish you a ton of luck for the future with your design!

Jacqueline 

October 30, 2014
Quick Reply