Patagonia 3

1:09 p.m. on December 25, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I just got that Patagonia 3 long underwear tops and bottoms for Christmas and I really like but it's a lot thinner than I thought it would be. I'm not saying I don't like them but does anyone have experience using them? What situations are they ideally good for?

I'm thinking of getting UnderArmor Heatgear or the Patagonia 4 to put under my Patagonia 3 set. What do you all think about that?

1:31 p.m. on December 25, 2010 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Here's what I would do:  If you have a Patagonia 3 large top, get a Patagonia 3 or 4 extra large top and use them together.  You'll have a nice winter midlayer.  I just replaced my Icebreaker merino tops and went with a 260 weight large under a 320 weight extra large.  Sandwich them together.  Zip necks are vital for my needs---venting, you know.

5:07 p.m. on December 25, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

What are you going to use it for? I have an old set of Patagonia midweight Capilene, before they had 4 different weights. Mine is probably similar to the 3, but I haven't really compared them. Mine do look different; the new stuff has a weave pattern as I recall, but mine is smooth.

I have used mine snowshoeing, hiking, and skiing. They are really warm, a lot warmer than you might think. Unless I was in really cold weather (sub zero), the heavier layer might be too warm for heavy activity.  I wear mine under a fleece jacket or when stopped, a down jacket and Marmot Precip pants or my GoLite insulated pants.

I have them on in my photo-taken in Yosemite in February a couple of years ago.

BTW, at temps over 40F, the top is fine with a light jacket. When I wear my one piece ski suit, any warmer, I have to take off the bottoms because I get too warm.

I also sleep in them and they are very comfortable.

9:22 p.m. on December 26, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Would I lose warmth by putting the 4 over the 3? Would it be better to keep a 4 as a baselayer rather than mid? Because I got small Capilene 3's but I think I could get a small Capilene 4 under them...

10:35 p.m. on December 26, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

The numbers are not about the weight class.They still have lite,medium and heavyweight .The numbers are about the generation of capiliene.They have now come out with a newer update to the fabric.Have used capiliene for years and still like it.As for how many layers I use that depends on weather conditions.More often than not i use the midweight even in winter,here in the PNW the usual winter temps are from 15 f to 40 f.I will only snow camp when temps are 25 or colder.Now and then we can get down to 0 f but not very often in the cascades.If i need something to throw on for extra warmth i use either a fleece windstopper garment,vest or jacket, and or a down garment,vest,sweater or jacket/parka.Combined with this is an outer hard shell,gore-tex or epic.Everyone has their own system that works for them and the geographic area they are snow camping in.Find what works for you with a little experimentation you will stay warm and enjoy your adventures.ymmv

10:58 a.m. on December 27, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

Capilene 1 is silkweight.

Capilene 2 is lightweight.

Capilene 3 is midweight.

Capilene 4 is expedition weight

http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/capilene-baselayer?k=6x

Personally I think the 3 is very versatile, especially if you get the zip top. I just bought my spouse some new layers of it for Christmas.

If it fits without being constricting, you can double layer.

5:29 p.m. on December 27, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Not to be annoying but could you define constricting? And why is that bad?

...I have a good idea but I want to hear from a master ; )

8:57 p.m. on December 27, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

Not to be annoying but could you define constricting? And why is that bad?

...I have a good idea but I want to hear from a master ; )

Well, I'm no master, but you can still hear from me.

By constricting I just meant, not too tight. Layering is a great way to add and remove layers of clothes as needed, so you never get too hot (and sweaty) or too cold. I always try to anticipate how cold or warm I'll be and adjust as needed ahead of time.

Anyway, I mentioned constriction because sometimes people think, oh, if one layer of socks or whatever is good two or three will be even better. However, if you add layers that together are too tight on your body (especially on your extremities like hands and feet), you can restrict blood flow to those areas and then those extra layers won't help keep you warm but can have the opposite effect.

Your clothes don't keep you warm. Your body heat keeps you warm when it's retained in the spaces within the appropriate layers of clothes.

The constriction issue probably is not something you need to worry about in this instance, but just something to be mindful of. You don't want too baggy clothes either, just layers that fit you well. (For example, Tipi mentioned the two different sizes --L and XL -- in the baselayers he uses in combination.)

The Capilenes are good baselayers and likely warmer than you expect. Just try them out and see how they do with your activity level and personal thermostat. I'm sure you'll figure out how you like to use them best.

Hope that helps!

12:50 a.m. on December 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

That's sheer genius! You are a master!

But ya thanks. I just ordered the 4 in the same size as the 3 because I thought the 3 were baggy enough to go under or over the 4. Not sure which I'll do but I think either will work fine.

8:40 a.m. on January 3, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

You're welcome.

I think they'll work together fine. You can come back and tell us how it went.

3:44 p.m. on January 3, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Okay I just got the 4 today and they are amazing. I don't think I can fit the 4's under the 3's becuase they are thicker and a big baggier but the 3's are nice and thin and more 'fitted' so they fit underneath just fine. (I lived in Saskatchewan for a couple years and I've had to deal with 80 m.p.h. winds when it's already below zero. This is not overkill. ; ) One time my legs got so cold just walking to the gas station they went numb and I couldn't barely walk anymore. Had I not been able to hobble into the post office to warm up I think I would have died haha.

But yeah the 4's rock. They are at least three times as thick as the 3's and seem to be made with different style of weave (I could be wrong). They are breathable though. I'm wearing the 4's in my room right now drinking a cup of coffee and I'm not stuffy. I'm way warmer than I need to be but I'm not in agonizing discomfort either. I've had other base layers that make me immediately stuffy and feel like I can't breath but these are awesome. Super light too. Don't inhibit movement at all.

But yeah I am taking these off now hah too hot. I've noticed I can wear the 3's at room temperature while watching tv and not over heat. At the same time I'll put them on under my Marmot Softshell and I feel watmer than I do when I put a cotton hoodie under my Marmot. So again really light and breathable but at the same time does well in cold and wind.

I'm happy.

3:49 p.m. on January 3, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Oh man, the 3's fit under the 4's PERFECTLY. I will never fear cold again.

4:44 a.m. on January 4, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

I used the Pata 3 for most of the Antarctic trip up to High Camp. I went to the exped weight when we sat out the 8 nights and 6 days of storm and for summit day. If it is adequate for that, you should have no problem. And yes, the usual is to put the warmer over the less warm (4 over 3 over 2...) when using more than one layer.

2:31 p.m. on January 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Wow, only the Pata 3? What did you wear for a mid layer and outer layer?

I doubt I'd ever double up the 3 and 4 if I were on the move. I'm thinking I'd only double up if I was in extremely cold weather but for whatever reason mostly immobile. It's just nice to know I can double up if I need to. I can't really think of any reason I would have to.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply