One Piece Rod

8:19 p.m. on December 27, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I found a 4' South Bend rod about 10 years ago in an antique shop and my wife bought it for me for our anniversary.  It was made of translucent gray fiberglass and tapered down to smaller than the diameter of a toothpick.  The action and sensitivity were literally breathtaking and I actually nicknamed it "troutslayer".  About 5 years ago it split vertically between the 2 topmost eyelets and I superglued it together streamside and caught a ton of fish with it over the next 3 years, when it split again and I haven't been able to repair it.

I searched everywhere and couldn't find another so now I'm looking for a replacement.  Does anyone know of a one-piece 4 foot rod that might be similar?  I bought a cheap 3.5 footer a couple of years back and it was no substitute.  I'm still looking for the high that I got fishing with troutslayer.  Please help.

2:12 p.m. on December 30, 2010 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Canyon Dude,

I looked in virtually ever store in Denver, but I was looking for a spin-cast rod.  I have a nice small spinning reel but I wanted a spin-cast because it was so small.  I found one, but the action was too stiff and the handle was huge.  I have decided that somewhere in the future I am going to get someone to make me one, as it is so hard to find one.  I can have it made the way I want it made that way, as when backpacking I don't care so much about the regular features.  One thing is having smaller guides so that I can pack it into a smaller diameter tube. (yeah that is not what you would normally do) There is one that is made of metal with a spring near the handle, but I cannot remember the name.  I know that there are other threads on this forum that may have that one mentioned.

Is your rod a spin-cast or spinning?  I assume that it would not be a fly rod, because of the length.  This may sound crazy, but look in the local garage sales as many of the small rods are not made anymore.  Eagle Claw makes a sectional (multiple-piece) rod that is affordable.  I like the 4 footer too, but it is a little harder to carry.

4:37 p.m. on December 30, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I build one piece bamboo rods, but they are not cheap. They are just as strong of glass but they are much nicer. I also have a one piece spinning rod I bought in WalMart a few years ago. It is a ultra light, I have only caught bluegills on it.

7:01 p.m. on December 30, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey canyondude,

I don't know how much money you want to spend, and I don't know how old your South Bend rod was, but at one time you could get really good rods at an affordable price, due to quality dropping as prices go up most good rods are not too cheap these days.

If you are looking for something fairly cheap try an UL Ugly Stik, if you have the desire to spend a little more I would look at these brands:

St. Croix

G. Loomis

A lot of these rods are going to be 4' 6" but 4' rods are still made, the trend  has actually been towards longer rods with some UL rods as long as 7'.

Of course you could always have Mike Cipriani make you a custom rod.

Snakey, you are thinking of the Emrod, they look kinda like a car antenna with a coil at the handle.

12:17 a.m. on December 31, 2010 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Yeah...that was it, the Emrod.  A little goofy looking but it does have a following of people that swear by them.  If you can't catch fish you could always use it to pick up local radio stations.  LOL

11:27 p.m. on December 31, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Not a one piece rod but my Eagle Claw Denco Super II has served me well for 30+ years. You might be able to get one off ebay if you look. It's a 6 1/2 foot rod so you get a lot of play. I think there was also a fly rig with the same name. I am trying to find that kit as I want a fly rig. It would be nice to have a matching set. I did see one a few months back but someone else had more money than I did at the time.

12:55 a.m. on January 1, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Not a one piece rod but my Eagle Claw Denco Super II has served me well for 30+ years. You might be able to get one off ebay if you look. It's a 6 1/2 foot rod so you get a lot of play. I think there was also a fly rig with the same name. I am trying to find that kit as I want a fly rig. It would be nice to have a matching set. I did see one a few months back but someone else had more money than I did at the time.

Do you have the yellow rod? Some of them were 7 1/2' I think, and there was also a bamboo fly rod of the same name if memory serves me. Those were 1980 era rods, back when a few dollars would still get you a good rod.

11:29 p.m. on January 1, 2011 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Yeah it's yellow with orange and gold at the windings. I am going to pick up my new fishing license this week.

8:46 p.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Why not try making your own. you can always go on the Cabelas website and order yourself some rod blanks and the guides that you need. customise it to your hand and with a little less that 200 dollars you can have a pretty decent rod that will make you smile when you catch something on it. just like when a fish catches the fly you made.

2:02 a.m. on January 6, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Abu Pro Strike 4' 6" Linear graphite rod.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply