Anybody use these?

9:39 p.m. on December 30, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I am thinking about getting the Kelty Lightweight fleece sleeping bag liner. Doe's anyone use one of these? I figure I could use it as a summer sleeping bag.

5:26 p.m. on December 31, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

I tried a fleece liner and wasn't really impressed. I didn't feel it was worth the cost to warmth ratio.

I use a surplus military poncho liner as a summer bag, and add it to my 15F bag in winter to supplement, and in my opinion it works much better than a fleece liner. Best of all it costs around 10-15$ at most surplus stores.

12:12 p.m. on January 1, 2011 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

We use them I can use my mh lamina 20 down to -10, in a three season tent on top of a thermarest luxury camp. My kids use them in marmot 32 deg bags down to -10 wind in a three season tent with trailmpro thermarests

9:23 p.m. on January 8, 2011 (EST)
308 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

I'm considering this to. I was looking at the sea-to-summit liner. It seemed like a good purchase if it lives up to what it offers. Being able to add it to either my 15°F or 40°F bag should allow for 4 temperature options as opposed to two.

I'm real interested in this surplus poncho liner.. will have to research that one!

2:33 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
173 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

The US Military issue poncho liner is perhaps the most used/useful piece of snivel gear ever designed by man. I am only half joking here.

Not only is it super light, it dries in minutes, and has cord stitched to the perimeter that will interface with a GI poncho. I have spent many a frozen night in the Yakima Desert with a poncho/liner combo.

The fleece liners are not as versatile, and are pretty much dedicated to sleeping bag use, where the GI liner has hundreds of uses. Women also love them, it warms instantly when you touch it to your skin. I have impressed some chicks with it! Too bad they were more impressed with the liner than with me................................:)

3:45 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

I have to agree the poncho liner has been used a secondary sleep option now for over 30 yrs..

@Android -Yakima proveing ground? You wouldn't happen to a been 11 or 98 series?

4:22 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
173 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

I have to agree the poncho liner has been used a secondary sleep option now for over 30 yrs..

@Android -Yakima proveing ground? You wouldn't happen to a been 11 or 98 series?

11 Years US Army Ranger- Started with 2/75 at Ft. Lewis.

4:41 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I use liner in winter too help my down bag stay drier. It beats the fact you have to wash after every. Also it helps prevent my bag from freezing up in winter due to the moisture your body develops in the night time. I find there a few thing scarier than finding out your 800$ -30c down bag is a frozen block when you really need it. I made mine from powerstrech fleece (or a close equivalent) I bought in a store. Some might say that you can dress in your night underwear but I like to have a little more heat than not enough. If you want you can overkill it like my friend. He actually bought enough to make a half bag for the bottom and a 3/4 zip with sleeves on top. Sorta like a selk bag but with no legs. Trust me, I wish I had done the same.

Anyway, food for thoughts. 

6:34 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

+1 for the poncho liner over a fleece liner. I guesstimate its to be about twice the warmth of 200-wt fleece, it's multi-use, plus it has a bit of water resistance.

On the other hand, the Kelty liner can be zipped up to create a barrier to crawling insects, while completing such a feat in a poncho liner is an exercise in futility; worthwhile to note if you plan on using the liner alone, outside of a tent, in desert conditions.

11:53 a.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

i have used a fleece mummy bag alone for very warm summer camping but never in combo with other bags.  i was ok with it but as a combo it is too heavy for my liking.

11:20 a.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

Never patrol without your poncho liner!!

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply