How a Professional Photographer Packs...

9:17 p.m. on January 7, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I thought this was a really interesting video for those of us who enjoy photography in the outdoors :)

http://findout.rei.com/blog_detail/?contentid=6877846101116660006

10:57 a.m. on January 8, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,216 forum posts

Thanks for sharing that. 

I use a Brunton Solaris 26 folding solar panel that unfolds to 3x4 ft open. I have a power inverter much like the one he showed and a cigerettelighter style plug. I can power my laptop,charge my batteries for my DSLR, my flashlight batteries and my LED lights. It weighs about 1 lb and folds down to about 8x11 inches.

I used mine in remote Alaska in 2006 on a bicycle tour from Prudoe Bay to Homer Spit. I have also used it in the Wind River, Gros Ventre,Wyoming and Teton Ranges for power. I want to get the big battery like he had that Brunton makes for my panel for extra power in the field.

2:05 a.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I'm intrigued by the idea of the portable solar panels, especially in the mostly-sunny Sierra summers.  Spare batteries are HEAVY, so I need to compare their weight with one of these panels with whatever charger I'd need for the various battery types I carry.  And I wonder if I can even make it work for the EN-EL3a batteries I use in my Nikon DSLR...

Then there are the AA's for the GPS & SPOT ... and AAA's for the headlamp ...

10:52 a.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Geez! That solar generator should be enough to power his electric chair.

This piece should have started with a disclaimer that only black belt techno gadget phreeks need inquire.

I tell you what, five 9v sized batteries serve my photo needs for three weeks, and 24 AAA size batteries are more than enough for all my personal AND community lighting needs for the same period, using very bright LEDs technology.  It certainly weighs a lot less than the power station he hauls, not to mention being more dependable, simple, and taking up less volume.   

Ed

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply