It is Truly Wonderful...

3:30 p.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

...To call a gear manufacturer, and have a pleasant, helpful, and meaningful conversation with the representative who answers the phone.

It is even more amazing when that person is actually the owner of the company, and they take the time to actually engage and take interest in your call and questions.

Today I called the phone number on the Hilleberg website, expecting to get a customer service rep who may or may not be able to answer my questions.  I was delighted and amazed that the call was answered by none other that Petra Hilleberg, Director of the company's North American division, daughter of founder Bo Hilleberg, and shareholder of the company.

After such a wonderful conversation and personal experience, my already strong desire to own one (or many!) of their exceptional tents is even greater.

So here's to the Hillebergs and their success. The world would be a better place with more folks with their business ethic!

PS- I have no affiliation whatsoever with the Hilleberg company or family, aside from my conversation today, and an admiration of their tents. I just had to give a shout out to a person and company who deserve it.

5:07 p.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

That's encouraging to hear; I'm glad you had a pleasant experience. Customer service is where it's at in my book.

I have been wanting to get an Akto, I almost bought one last year but because my work has slowed down I opted for a less expensive tent.

6:20 p.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Hear, hear!! For me, it was between a Jannu and an Allak; I got an Allak two months back, and am very happy with my choice. Hilleberg's stellar customer service definately factored into my decision to choose them as a manufacturer.

3:41 p.m. on January 15, 2011 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

ditto to my experience with Whittaker Mountaineering in Ashford WA and my MT Rainier climb last summer. 

2:50 a.m. on January 16, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I have had both good and bad service.  The good, among others, MSR and Voile.  Got really good, personal service both times. MSR sent me some parts for my old XGK, free no less after I asked about them and the guys at Voile answered a bunch of questions about their ski bindings for me before I bought them.

One company I was not impressed with was Brunton. I had a problem with my Nova stove when they were selling them and they never answered my email. I finally wrote to Optimus in Sweden and got a response from them right away.

Patagonia answered a question I had about an old piece of Chouinard gear I found and of course, REI is pretty reliable.

I think Bill knows Petra Hilleberg.

2:57 a.m. on January 16, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Gonzan, your enthusiasm on this topic really resonates with me.  A huge pet peeve of mine is that truly excellent customer service is so hard to find.  I'm with you on this, if I find a company that provides it, they've earned my ongoing business!  Of course the product needs to be good, too, but customer service is a huge factor in my vendor selection criteria.

9:27 p.m. on January 16, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,022 forum posts

Thanks for sharing a good customer service experience, gonzan. Often we complain about the problems, but forget to give credit to the good experiences.

I've met Petra a few times at Outdoor Retailer in the Hilleberg booth and she is very nice.

4:38 p.m. on January 17, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

You're welcome :)

You are quite right, it is so easy to just rail on a company when we have a negative experience, but not be so motivated to give credit or praise where it is due.

I wasn't expecting particularly negative service, I was just so delighted by such personal and invested service and conversation.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply