undergarments :)

1:31 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

what are yall wearing or not wearing for underwear for winter hikes? may be an obvious answer but was curious.

2:02 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Wicks long underwear. They were on sale at STP. I think I paid less than $15 dollars for the unmatched pair. They are light, but winters here are around 20 degrees at night so they work great.

2:34 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Currently, this is what I use:

>Keeping things "in place" - synthetic boxer briefs.

>Active, or in moderate cold -  lightweight polypro

>Sedentary, or in real cold - Mil issue brown fleece

IceBreakers or other high quality merino wool base layers on on my list of things I will be getting when I can afford them.

2:53 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Merino wool rocks. And the price is going down, I find socks all the time for 3-7 dollars around here. I dont even wear cotton socks anymore. I too am waiting for the price to come down on the bigger base layer items.

4:02 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

thanks guys

4:12 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
4,359 forum posts

Polypropolene

9:27 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

Merino for sure. It's hard to justify the price until you use it. 

10:14 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,357 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

I don't own any Merino wool garments yet.  I've read that it's the cat's meow, and in some ways better than synthetics.  But the other day, at REI, I saw a Merino wool jacket on sale.  I really liked it.  But when I put it on (wearing a short sleeve t-shirt) it felt all scratchy on my arms.

Was that an aberation?  I thought Merino wool wasn't supposed to be scratchy.

[I really liked the style but didn't buy it]

1:46 a.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

I have a couple of Icebreaker and Macpac medium weight baselayers and reckon they're pretty damn comfy. I can't say I've had any itching but I was told early on that not all merino gear is equal.

In Australia we have a lot of these products so I'm cautious as to who I buy from. The two companies above are right up there in my opinion, Icebreaker maybe marginally ahead due to their huge range. 

I sweat a lot and merino's great on extended stays with minimum washing facilities. I get about 5-6 days use at a time, sometimes 8-9 depending on the company. No way I could do that with synthetic.

Wouldn't really want to go longer than that though, even solo.

I keep an eye on after winter sales and don't care about color so much. This lot's lasted two years and wouldn't expect to replace them for some time though. 

6:56 a.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

bheiser1 , start with the socks. Get some light ones and heavy ones. Your shoes will be 100% better! And your feet will love you for it.

10:54 a.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

For long underwear I use military surplus pant liners.  They are made of the same material as jacket liners....fiberfill sandwiched between two layers of very lightweight ripstop.

5:43 p.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Merino all the way for baselayers. I have found almost all of my merino at Marshalls and TJ Maxx,  of all places. Every piece I've purchased (all quality manufacturers -see my reviews) was at least 70% off. The only merino layer I couldn't find at the aforementioned stores is a pair of boxer briefs. Still searching for a pair under $20. I do use a Terramar synthetic boxer that has silver ion technology, is very comfortable, and seems to keep odor at bay - although not as well as merino.

For high activity in the coldest conditions I have worn Polartec Power-Dry. It works extremely well at wicking and I got each pieace from Marshalls for $5. I've used Power-Stretch midweight as a baselayer also, which has the softest feel and really provides warmth.

9:32 p.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,346 forum posts

patagonia active sport boxer briefs.  they wick well, they dry fast.  very lightweight - i use them year-round.  the seams are done well, no chafing.  not the most durable, there is a seam underneath that tends to get a small hole after a lot of use.  pricy.  easily worth it - the best solution i have been able to find.   http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-active-sport-boxer-brief?p=32453-0-950

beyond that, there are great merino and synthetic baselayers available from a variety of sources.  love patagonia's expedition capilene top for frigid weather.  

1:10 a.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

1st layer is a Duofold polypropylene crew neck long sleeve pullover that I modify to a zip turtle neck long sleeve pullover. If the temperature is below forty degrees or so, I'll add a 2nd layer, a Biotex fishnet polypropylene crew neck long sleeve pullover modified to a 'V' neck. My bottom is also polypro. Should the temperature be below thirty degrees or so, I'll add my fishnet bottoms by Brynje. I wear a runners polyester brief. I should make briefs from polypro. Polypro is the most hydrophobic (anti-fluid absorption) material that I've researched for clothing. It drys quickly, is light and feels thermally neutral worn as opposed to cool for polyester and other materials. Polypro won't maintain as much perspiration weight that the other materials do. Therefore, potential hypothermia is reduced and well as less the feeling of cold from moisture evaporation. Greater freedom of motion also results from the reduced material bonding to body effect from moisture. The above is the best thermal protection and price/performance material that I've encountered to date in forty plus years of researching and testing materials for hiking in cool/cold weather.

10:02 a.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Fruit of the Loom underwear and long johns. It keeps me warm, and it gets pretty chilly up here.

8:23 a.m. on January 24, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

ended up using duofold. highly satisfied

8:12 p.m. on January 24, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

I use the following layers and they work well for me. I do quite a bit of winter hiking and camping. You can check out my most recent trip in the TR section.

Torso: Capaline 3 l/s crew, columbia long sleeve hiking shirt, if it is really really cold or super windy or a wet snow I will add in my ecwcs goretex parka.

Legs: Exofficio boxer briefs, Capaline 2 bottoms, military winter bdu pants (i only use the cap 2 when temps are around 15F or below or just really windy)

Hands: Fingerless fleece mitten things from EMS and smartwool glove liners if temps or wind is really cold. My shell is OR Endeavor mitts when needed

Head: Smartwool balaclava, smartwool beanie

Feet: smartwool liner sock, smartwool trekking sock

For camp use I add in the following layers as needed

Torso: Nano puff, fleece vest, mil surplus polypro top, ecwcs goretex parka

Legs: mil surplus polypro bottoms, ecwcs goretex pants

Head: a detachable synthetic hood from an old hunting jacket

Hands: usually don't need to add anything else

feet: add in a chemical warmer insole

I am comfortable down to 0F easily with these not counting windchill, and could probally go further with comfort as well.

Don't forget the usefull ness of chemical handwarmers! I love the boot insole style ones for camp.

2:27 p.m. on January 28, 2011 (EST)
124 reviewer rep
2 forum posts
Sale at Eddie Bauer (50-60% off baselayers)

Hi all,

Just posted reviews of Eddie Bauer's First Ascent Midweight baselayers. I'm very happy with them and they are on sale. If you have an EB store near you though, GO TO THE STORE because stores are having some items with better sale prices than online.

For example, the paradise (light) layer is on sale online, but in the store I was able to get midweight layer tops and bottoms for $20. They also had the ladies Paradise tops (with hoodies and thumbholes) on sale for $15!

Just sharing the sale with you all. Good luck.

3:43 p.m. on January 28, 2011 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I like the other above like the Merino wool baselayers.  I thought they were pretty expensive when I was looking, but you can find some pretty good deals on them.  I got some Icebreakers for buy one get one 50% off and then an additional 25% off the total purchase.  I am pretty happy with them.   Take a little time and you can find some good deals!

5:57 p.m. on January 28, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
247 forum posts

I agreee with Performance, the Brynje polypro net is the best underwear both winter and summer. I sweat a lot, and this net does not let me feel so wet. The moisture is transported to the next layer, and the net leaves enough air to function well as insulation. If it is really hard weather (-15C and 15ms wind) I add a layer of wool, preferrably thin. I use Devold Active, but there are other brands that are well suited as well.

Most important is to keep the head warm, here I use the armys BF bought at a surplus sale. If head, hand and feet are warm, it is surprisingly how little one needs body insulation as long as one works hard.

3:37 p.m. on February 6, 2011 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I have some Marmot long underwear I got at TJ Max for like $15.00 and work great. My buddy wears just cheap old Champion sweat pants under his cargos and they seem to work fine as well.

8:15 a.m. on February 16, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

I mostly use Patagonia Capilene for baselayers and underwear, and have synthetic sports bras from Moving Comfort. The Patagonia briefs aren't cheap, but they fit well and last, and I usually look for them on sale.

I also like wool for socks and some midlayers or as a blend as a baselayer Outdoor Research has some synthetic tops blended with wool, which I like.

I'm particular about the wool if it's a next-to-skin layer. Some is softer than others, even among good brands.

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply