Best Mitten Shell

6:57 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
17 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I am looking for a top quality mitten shell that is geared towards technical mountaineering. I am planning to layer them over a pair of dachstein wool mitts and smartwool liners. If anyone has a recommendation It would be really helpful. 

8:18 p.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,079 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Vincent!

Mountain Laurel Designs makes some sweet eVent mitt shells, but they're geared more towards lightweight winter hiking. I'm certain they're the lightest eVent shells commercially produced. You could sew in some 500D cordura where needed though...

Otherwise, look at Rab's stuff. They make a couple models of mittens with an eye for the alpine.

8:23 p.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I have enjoyed mit and glove shells over the years from Black Diamond and Outdoor Research. Used with matching inners, as well as inners of my own choice.

Ed

8:28 p.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
17 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thanks for the advice. Rab makes some sweet primaloft/event mitts that I'm gonna look into.

8:41 p.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,079 forum posts

I've got their primaloft/eVent glove, the ice gauntlet, and it does not disappoint; full pittards leather inner face, shaped fingers, close fit.

5:10 p.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
17 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Is it better to get a pair of mitts that are seam taped instead of seam sealed. The Extremities Tuff bags are seam taped and look more durable than the MLD ones (even though i prefer event over gtx).

7:59 p.m. on January 24, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

I have and really like the OR Endeavor mitts.

December 26, 2014
Quick Reply