Tall Mens Apparel & Gear

11:42 p.m. on January 23, 2011 (EST)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Standing 6'-4" tall and weighing 200 lbs. Im finding it a great challenge to find stuff. Most so called "big n tall" retailers cater to the big & wide. Pants, long underwear, try finding a 36" inseam/32" waist. Funny, in order to get a 31-32" inseam, you must settel for a 44" waist. Shirts, jackets, would be nice to find a medium/tall. Cardhardt work clothes have these offerings, but try hiking in those! Rain gear, tents, etc. Tired of setteling for "It almost fits!".

11:37 a.m. on January 24, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Man I know how you feel.

Most alpine shell's are longer in the arms to prevent em from riding up. Marmot (Estes pant) has some long inseam and so does MH (Piezo I think) . Those are the ones I found but theres bound to be more. I have a 34 inseam and had to cut em short for them to fit. for shirt it's just plain hard. Again alpine clothing is what made the cut for me. Try europeen brands, there sometimes more long and thin than our american brands. If you want more details tell me what your looking for, I'll tell what I got and what made it for me. Maybe it'll help you?

Have a good-tall one!!! 

5:10 p.m. on January 24, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I don't know how old you are, but you might as well get used to it. I am 55 and I have been 6'7" tall for over 30 years. I wear a size 14 shoe and my instep is so high it make's it so I can't wear boots without lacings (cowboy boots), 38x36(waist was smaller when I was in my 20s) pant, 39 inch sleeves.

My long underwear when pulled up to my waist barely covers my calves, my upper shirts come down to a couple inches or more from my wrists, When I go looking for shoe and boots I have but a few choices.

My tent is not long enough, my sleeping bag is barely, and my sleeping pad is short too.

Takes a long time to get used to it. I wish I could do the opposite of what Tom Hanks did in the movie "Big" and find a fortune machine that would make me shorter. I pass one downtown here where I live almost everyday and think about that.

In the US Navy I was too tall by 7 inches for being below decks where the ceilings were 6 foot high, doorways/hatches were 5 feet tall,  my bunk was 6 ft by 2 feet. I was constantly ducking to the point that I got a medical discharge after one year.

I played basketball in my first year of college till I then decided I didn't like it that much. When I graduated in 1973 from high school I was 6' 2" and was the tallest average ball player in those days. I didn't stop growing till I was 23.

1:23 a.m. on January 25, 2011 (EST)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Thanks Louis and Gary,

I guess at 37 I should be used to it, better yet, let's make all these manufacturers wear and use gear four sizes to small and send them into the wilderness for a week! At least the stove fits. I will look into alpine and marmot. Very helpful.

3:55 a.m. on January 25, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

You may have to consider contacting a seamstress who can custom make garments that you feel must have proper fits.  It will cost about double of standard of the rack clothing.  That said there are some alternatives.  Consider using gaiters to cover lower leg area left exposed by short inseams.  Consider gauntlet style outer gloves to cover exposed forearms when protection from the elements is needed.

Ed

10:19 a.m. on January 25, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Good point on the seamstress. I love adding fleece (powerstrech for example) that is what I do when something is too short.

10:34 a.m. on January 25, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I remember once back when I bought my first Gore-tex rainjacket and contacting North Face about designing me one that had longer sleeves. They told me in order to make one with long sleeves it would cost me double the then $80 price of the jacket. I opted not to, $80 back then in 1979 was pretty expensive.

12:13 p.m. on January 25, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
600 reviewer rep
3,057 forum posts

For what it's worth, Beyond Clothing makes custom outdoor apparel: baselayers, fleece, puffies, soft and hard shells: http://beyondclothing.com/

I've never bought or worn them personally, though I have met their owner at Outdoor Retailer.

I think the concept of measuring yourself to have an expensive custom piece made is a mental barrier for many people (it would be for me), but it's an option for some people who want to customize for fit or specific activity or feature.

You might be able to find a seamstress for your clothing. My spouse did that with some North Face bibs once. It was very inexpensive too. Just get a good recommendation first.

5:28 p.m. on January 25, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Guys, I've had pretty good success with Cabela's tall sizes. Right now I use a couple of different fleece styles/weights, a jacket and three different rain outfits 1 for fishing (think heavy), 1 day use, and a high quality (think expensive) breathable lightweight. They also list several different styles of insulated underwear on their website.  I'm 6'6" 280 with 37"-38" sleeve length and use their 3xlt which are actually a shade big. For the cranally endowed go to big head hats. They have large size fleece hats, etc. No, I'm not affiliated, just grateful. 

7:24 p.m. on January 25, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

You'll find that Columbia offers alot of tall sizes also,particularly at ALTREC.com. I'm an XLT with long arms and tire of my jackets not fitting right when I settle for a regular XL size.

10:28 p.m. on January 26, 2011 (EST)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Thanks all!  Helps to narrow the search!!!  I also understand short women have the same issue, on the other end of the spectrum.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply