Warm-weather sleeping bags for upcoming Appalachian Trail thru-hike

10:18 a.m. on February 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am planning a AT thru-hike starting this spring.  I have a 20 degree sleeping bag, but am looking to buy a lightweight summer synthetic sleeping bag.  These are the ones I am considering:

Mountain Hardwear UltraLamina 45

Sierra Designs Wicked Hot 45 Eco Synthetic

Lafuma Extreme 650 Pro Sleeping Bag 40

Does anyone have experience with any of these sleeping bags?  Do you feel they are made well and the temperature rating is accurate?

Thanks

11:48 a.m. on February 5, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

What month are you starting your thru? When do you plan on hitting the White's? I have a Mountain Hardwear 3 dimesional and a Zipp in liner that adds 20 degree's...Plan on dropping my heavy bag and going with the Zipp in then Maildropping the other bag...Mountain Hardwear makes good synthectic bags.IMO...Most will say a 30 degree bag is what you need because of temps vary in bags and climate conditions...

9:51 a.m. on February 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Denis:   Hi.  I am starting my thru-hike either late March or early April.  Not sure when exactly we will be reaching the Whites.  We are working out our intinerary/mail drops now.  Probably Sept. 

I plan on using my EMS 20 degree bag in the beginning and end with a liner.  And then switching to whatever summer bag I choose when it is warmer.

Thanks

1:44 a.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I bought my wife one of Lafuma Warm-n Light 600 at a very low price. When I saw it I was very disappointed because it was so thin and you could almost see through it. It appears that I was wrong because she is a cold sleeper but has remained warm at temps below freezing. It still seems cheaply made to me but has stood up to use with no problems so far. She has used it on three 8-9 day treks and about a dozen weekenders, I guess that time will tell. 

7:28 a.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I started my thru attempt in January and I carried a 15F bag the entire way. I was glad I had it on several occassions throughout my hike. Even in the summer the temps can plummet at times up at higher elevations. During the warmest days I just used my bag as quilt and vented as needed. Obviously I started much earlier and encountered colder weather for a longer duration than most.

If I were you I would save the money and just use the same bag, or buy a army surplus poncho liner.

I now routinely use a poncho liner on all my of trips when the temps are around 50 or higher. The poncho liner with a capaline 3 top and cap 2 bottom and a nano puff pullover has been super comfy for me down to about 45. The liner and baselayers alone at 45  was ok, but a tad on the chilly side. Poncho liners usually cost 10-15$ at a surplus store and weigh 16oz if I remember correctly.

Plan to ship your 20F bag out around Damascus, and plan to ship it back to you before the whites, either CT or MA.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply