Compare High Peak Tents

8:30 a.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi Everyone!

I am new here, but have spent the last two days reading as much of the forums as I could!

I have read a lot of reviews on this site about the High Peaks tents. I am specifically looking at the Enduro, and the Hyper Lite.

Although I have read a lot about them here, I am having a tough time seeing if there are real differences between the two. My needs are this: A cheap four season tent. I will use it between 1-3 times per year, not back packing so weight isn't a huge issue. However, there may be an odd backpacking trip thrown in, but that would be rare, and hasn't happened yet. I live in the Great Lakes Region, so snow and or rain are possibilities. I have been using a plain old summer tent for the last 3 years to camp in February, so I am really just looking for a little more warmth. Temps have ranged from a balmy 20 degrees, to a chilly -4.We do not use any heating units of any kind, we do camp in the woods, and there is sometimes just me, and sometimes me and my husband.

The whole reason for the change is comfort, hence the desire to not spend a lot!

The biggest difference I can see between the two are size, 49.2"x92.5" for the Enduro, and 61"x84.7" for the Hyper Light. BUt I am not experienced enough to know what else to look for!

Thanks for the help!

~Pixie

PS~I am looking to purchase quickly, since soonest trip is next weekend.

12:47 p.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

What I can see, Is that the Enduro has 3 poles = extra strength for snow loads. Plus it has zippered vents = extra warmth. Plus more water proofing. I like the fact that there is more width in the sleeping area.

4:03 p.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

pixie -

I own the Enduro and it is fantastic for winter camping and has held up for me in some pretty extreme weather - 70 mph sustained winds with snow and hail on one trip.

The only major difference I would be concerned with between the two tents is width and length. 

I'm 6'3" with my boot liners on, and need all the head room I can get. The Enduro is very long and provides me with the head and foot room I need. Also, my sleeping bag is quite long and it fits nicely as well. The width on the Enduro leaves something to be desired if you're looking for comfort. For backpacking trips or mountaineering trips, a slimmer tent saves weight, so it's perfect for me.

You may not mind it being slim if it's you and your husband since I'm sure you wouldn't mind cuddling. Whenever I go on a trip and use the Enduro, myself and my trip partner typically have about 1-2 inches between our shoulders if we are both lying flat on our backs.

The hyperlite, on the other hand, doesn't provide the same length or spacious head room when lying down, but it is 11 inches wider, meaning you'll be more easily able to move about and toss and turn in your sleep. But...it's 8 inches shorter.

If I were you, I'd analyze if length or width is more important and buy one based on that.

Check on ebay for a good price - I got the Enduro for $75. Otherwise, go to High Peak's website and find the links for retailers. Blue Mountain was the company where I got my High Peak sleeping bags, and they are decently priced and safe.

4:04 p.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

wow. No idea why my post went through 4 times. Sorry everyone!!

9:24 a.m. on February 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thank you both!

Yes, the size was the main difference I could see, and I am ignorant about pole placing and snow load, so thanks for that tidbit as well!

~Pixie

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply