hiking boots for wet/slippery terrain

2:21 a.m. on February 16, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello All,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good hiking boot for wet/slippery terrain/rock/riverbed

Have read that soft rubber soles (like in Adidas Kampungs) provide best grip but then they do not provide any support for light back-packing. Vibram soles are pretty dangerous on such surfaces.

So any good compromise. Good grip/traction on wet surfaces is important for me. The boots need not be very technical - with gore-tex etc. But yes I would prefer a durable pair Anything upto $150 or so should be fine with me.

Thanks

1:32 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I have a pair of LaSportiva Cascades, which do have Vibram soles but seem to have decent grip on wet surfaces. This might be due to the tread having the impact brake system (basically, the tread is irregular) or maybe I've just been lucky. Ankle support on the Cascades is so-so.

I also had a pair of Keen Oregon PCTs that had a harder sole and better ankle support, so you might want to look into getting a pair of those.

The Oregon PCTs and the Cascades both have a membrane and are in your price range.

9:17 a.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

check out backpacker magazine's current edition, the annual editor's choice awards.  2 boots you might find interesting - the TrekSta Evolution Mid and the Salewa Alp Trainer Mid.  the treksta appears to be widely available, the Salewa at some stores in the western US or backcountry.com.  i haven't tried them on, nor am i familiar with either brand, but Backpacker's reviewers abused both of them and had nothing but great things to say.  great traction, great durability, great fit.  

i don't even need boots or trail shoes, and i was intrigued.  

7:16 p.m. on March 10, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Lug soles are poor on wet, slippery rocks. In fact, for wet, slippery rocks felt soles are better than any of the rubber compounds, IMO. However, felt soles do not wear well when hiking, so the alternatives are siping lug soles (easy with a dozuki saw but not terribly effective) or using hobnails.

The best hobnails are soft iron but these are hard to find. Perhaps your local tire installer could put carbide studs in ten lugs on each sole -- that would be great (but don't wear the boots indoors). Otherwise, a few minutes installing small brass screws into the lugs might do it. Once the heads of the screws break off, the shanks will still dig in.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply