How to hang or store sleeping bags

5:17 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
17 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I just got a new EMS Mntn Light -20. It is my first down bag and I'm wondering what is the best way to hang it or store it. Plastic bins? Large net bags?

5:46 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

If you have the closet space, hang the bag (some manufacturers provide little loops at the foot of the bag or inside so you can hang it to air the bag out). If not, get a cotton laundry bag (Target, WalMart, or similar stores, typically just a few bucks) that allows you to loosely stuff the sleeping bag in it with no or minimal compression.

Some people have enough room to have shelves in a closet to lay the bag out. This can allow dust to collect, though, as can hanging in a closet.

In any case, do NOT store the sleeping bag stuffed in the stuff sack you use for backpacking it, especially not compression stuff sacks. your sleeping bag will lose loft more quickly tightly stuffed.

11:13 p.m. on February 22, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,514 reviewer rep
1,322 forum posts

agree completely.  hanging down bags or laying them flat is best.  the mesh storage bags that often arrive as standard equipment with a good down bag are still, in may cases, not big enough and squash the bag some during storage. 

9:48 p.m. on February 23, 2011 (EST)
17 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thanks for all the advice. I spent a couple hours cleaning out a closet in my room and screwing hooks into the roof to hang my bags. I also organized my gear and stored it below my bags well I was at it.

5:08 p.m. on February 26, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,514 reviewer rep
1,322 forum posts

can i have your closet?  :)

3:03 p.m. on March 3, 2011 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
486 forum posts

If you don't have cats, under the bed - flat (covered by an old sheet?)  Just blow off all the dust bunnies before and after storage.

I have a friend who converted a wall of a guest bed room/den into an exposed gear 'locker'.  His very expensive Feathered Friends hangs like a trophy in the center.  He has a very impressive (to guests) wall of 'stuff'. But then he is the type to display his Corvette front hood remains (fluffy fiberglass edges) and a $40,000 placard underneath it.

Would make a good looking wall in an upscale theme restaurant/bar.

3:31 p.m. on March 3, 2011 (EST)
17 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thanks again for all the advice. I'd like to see you friends "wall" sounds more like a exhibit though.

4:01 a.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
486 forum posts

He can get ready for a trip faster than anybody I know.  He can just grab and stuff it for the most part.

But you are right in away.  He has an old hank of rope and a crusty wooden ice ax and gnarly crampons that are for show only.  But then people expect that as a minimum - :)

5:54 a.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

speacock,

I do the same thing as your friend. I have 13 sleeping bags and 9 backpacks hanging on the wall. My home office looks like a gear store.

9:32 p.m. on March 5, 2011 (EST)
17 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

wow, 13 sleeping bags. do you have one for every temp rating?

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply