Online Gear Reviews while Shopping

12:35 a.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

I'm curious how many others among us use their Smartphone while shopping for gear ... using the cool apps (like the REI app & others) that let you scan the bar code & "instantly" access gear reviews (alas, not from Trailspace :( right there in the store.

Have you been doing this?  How has it influenced your purchases?

I've been doing this quite a lot while shopping for all sorts of things, including outdoors gear and other items.  Now it's almost hard to imagine being forced to drive back home to read reviews (though for major purchases I still do by choice, to get a broader spectrum of reviews, and (for outdoors gear) to read Trailspace reviews of course:).

But, still, it's great to be able to read at least some reviews right in the store... I tend to use this capability to qualify items for further review... e.g. find generally good reviews, then read more about it later ... find generally bad ones, and not bother researching that one further.

What's your experience been with this cool new functionality?

12:47 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Well, I don't have a smartphone, and do all my reviews at home on my PC before I shop. Tho I usually shop online anyway. But if I see something that interests me in a local store I first come home or go to the public library and look it up online. And compare it to other simular items.

3:22 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I utilize the online reviews from my phone constantly. I am currently posting this from my phone(Droid 2.) I am a review fanatic. I review everything prior to purchase. Whether it be in store or at home. My biggest reasons are simple. 1-I want something for my money, and 2- my life could pretty much depend on my purchase. Whether I am in a REI or any other gear shop my phone comes out and I start searching. Too many times I have made "hasty" purchases in the past to only be let down when it really mattered. Money is too hard to come by to waste plus you can't put a price on your health and well being when in a remote location.

Oh just wanted to add the smartphone reviewing really comes in handy when purchasing an item such as boots because the biggest thing is fit. Too many times I have ordered footwear just to realize the fit wasn't there.

12:34 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I usually just use a web browser on my Android phone to look stuff up from popular retailers (everyone from REI and Moosejaw to Amazon and Zappos) and review sites (like trailspace). It helps to read the details of the reviews though, because often people review an item right after they get it and don't really have much experience with the product. I also check forums to see what people have to say about the product.

Many of my purchases are actually made online due to there only being one decent store in my area with a somewhat limited selection.

11:05 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I didn't even know something like that existed.  I will have to find the application to do that....will make finding reviews pretty easy it seems.

11:09 a.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

D&G, its not an app, just go to the websites. Trailspace comes up as well as all of the other sites....

6:26 p.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

I use my i-phone to review something I might stumble upon that represents a great deal (clearance, discount), or if it's something new of which I am unfamiliar. Example, I was in REI in Henderson NV and saw the snow claw when I was searching for a new winter shovel. I did check trailspace first on my browser and then researched quickly before deciding to buy it instead of a traditional shovel.

But most of the time I have done all of my research online before going into a store to purchase a particular item. I LOVE my UPC code scanning app. That thing has saved me money more than a few times on particular items.

7:05 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

I generally go out searching with one specific make/model in mind (which I have of course researched on trailspace.com!!!!). I'm not hip enough to have a smartphone, nor am I technologically incline, but this sounds like a pretty cool app.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply