Recommended rain shell for tall, thin guy

9:28 a.m. on March 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi there,

I'm searching for a rain shell that fits well.  I've owned an Arc'Teryx (Gamma, I think?) and a Marmot PreCip in recent years.  Both were fairly lightweight and waterproof, but neither fit particularly well.  I'm 6'1" and about 155 lbs.  The difficulty I have is the sleeves for the Small sizes are too short, as well as the torso might not come to my waistline, while the body might be slim enough.  If I go to a Medium, often the sleeves and torso are long enough, but it's nearly wide enough for two of me.  I'd like there to be a tad bit of room for layering, but not to the point I'm swimming in it.

I went with the PreCip initially because I have a Marmot Gravity softshell and I love it.  It fits very well, indeed.  I've been suggested the Sierra Designs MicroLight, but am told that it might be a bit too light if I were too layer it for skiing in wet conditions. 

Ideally, said jacket would be relatively affordable, as well, but I'm willing to splash out for the ideal shell.

All input and suggestions are welcome!

5:33 p.m. on March 22, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Marmot has always been for me the first choice. I'm tall and beefy though. Alpine shells usually have longer arms.

8:35 a.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I buy the biggest size i can get and sew the sides to make it thinner. It's easier than lenghtening the sleeves (i do that on fleece and down jackets though). Seamgrip the seams and off you go! Right now i own a GoLite size XL (2007) goretex jacket and the arms are long enough to cover my hands. It's a bit too big for me but not too bad (6'2" 170lbs).

Good luck!

10:19 p.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

I'm 6 foot, 155 and own the First Ascent BC-200 shell. I liked that the First ascent line from Eddie Bauer has 'tall' sizes which increases the torso length and sleeve length without widening. I own the medium, (i generally steer towards bagier fits) in tall. So far, I bought it in November, it has worked as advertised. That said Nov to March in Canada isn't really rain shell season so I'm not ready to put my complete stamp of approval on it. Thats not a knock on the jacket, just a lack of testing time.

11:33 p.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
580 reviewer rep
670 forum posts

6'4", 175 lbs. I don't have much problem with jackets, I wear XL to get the sleeve length and I'm broad enough in the shoulders to fill it out up there. I have a close-fitting Mammut goretex jacket that I got in Norway that's still good, about to replace a zipper slider for the second time in 5 years. My length is in my legs, so my problem is with shell pants, mediums are way too short, larges are way too baggy and often still not long enough. I won't pay top dollar for something that doesn't fit, so I make do with some baggy full-zip goretex pants I got on discount a while back.

Does LL Bean have Long sizes in outerwear? They do in shirts...

11:47 p.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

I second Jake's recommendation - I have the BC 100, and while I'm 6 3, 180lbs and went with the large, they do have tall sizes and the medium might fit you nicely. The BC 100 has been discontinued just because now they have released the 200.

and I can definitely vouch for the jacket and the whole first ascent line - as a shell to break wind and keep me dry, it has gotten me through some extreme weather. One situation was 103 mph sustained winds, snow and hail, and -15 degree temps on Mt Washington in New Hampshire.

The other time it broke the wind nicely as I was climbing Mt Washington with 70 mph winds and a temp of -60!! No lie, it was COLD.

It's a legit jacket, good price, and good size options.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply