Outdoor gear idea

4:16 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

When I go hiking (and also at home) I use a old wide-mouthed water bottle as a pee bottle when in my tent or bed so when nature calls in my sleep I don't have to crawl out of my warm bag or covers to go outside or even to the bathroom. I label it as such so I won't accidently drink from it.

Does anyone one think this would make a good idea for a product one could use camping? I know most given the idea would just do as I do, but it sounds cool to think of something like this in a backpacking store/catalog and a small, maybe great way to make a little extra hiking/food money for the trail?

I guess to make it work for both sexes I would have to make a way for women to use it too. Some kind of special top to conform for a lady.

My Dad used to use an old Bleach bottle on the road traveling and for his job.

7:47 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

This is funny. Only becouse at one time I was involved with the design of a womens urinal. We did sell some to some stadiums in Florida. But it never took off. I think most ladies wouldnt use such a thing.

8:43 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I saw something online awhile back that reminded me of the bottle they give ya when you are in the hospital. I think it was red and it had an adapter for the female gender.

Found one, you can even get used ones.... I'm gonna leave that alone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O99UU8/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/182-6097574-3625811

10:52 a.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have 'improvised' with similar in the past.   Still do, on occasion.  

Unfortunately, spillage is a problem.  Urine is not a pleasant smell, and not easy to remove from fabric.

BTW -- What do the astronauts use?   Probably, very hi-tech (?).

10:55 a.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I saw something online awhile back that reminded me of the bottle they give ya when you are in the hospital. I think it was red and it had an adapter for the female gender.

Found one, you can even get used ones.... I'm gonna leave that alone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O99UU8/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/182-6097574-3625811

I have one of these I keep in my VW Vanagon Westy Camper.

The lid is a 'snap-on'-type, and is notoriously easy to pop-off.   I recommend you NOT rely on these.   OK in a 'pinch', but that's about it.

11:10 a.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

I know scuba divers use a P-valve. It's some sort of bladder system that goes inside of their wet suit, so when they've got to pee, they can pee, without worrying about going up, taking off gear, peeing, putting gear back on and going back down.

Not to mention I think urine attracts certain fish, sometimes dangerous ones. Feces does as well - in fact for shark divers, feces is better known as "shark sugar"

12:48 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Be nice to have a suit like they had on Dune, the movie. A desert suit that takes urine and sweatand produces drinking water from it.

3:25 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Be nice to have a suit like they had on Dune, the movie. A desert suit that takes urine and sweatand produces drinking water from it.

Interesting that I should be working on just that.   The prototypes lack refinement, and I'm having trouble getting "tasters".

Anyone wanna volunteer ?

3:30 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

The Still suit would be sweet. I'm suprised the army doesnt have them.

4:39 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Interesting that I should be working on just that.   The prototypes lack refinement, and I'm having trouble getting "tasters".

Anyone wanna volunteer ?

I have a few people in mind I could nominate...

7:08 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

For those who are curious, there are a number of female urination devices on the market, among other waste management products for both sexes:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/waste-sanitation/

11:50 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

For those who are curious, there are a number of female urination devices on the market, among other waste management products for both sexes:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/waste-sanitation/

TMI ... TMI ... TMI ....

Seriously, though ... my old girlfriend claimed women could LEARN to pee while standing.   She could.

One of the very, very wildest things I have ever seen ... occurred in "The Hamptons" of Long Island.  You need to know that this is a very expensive area  in which to live.   I had to hold down 2 jobs to live there, and my live-in girlfriend (the one above) was a model, making pretty good dinero.   Otherwise, we could not afford.

Anyhow, one late evening I was returning from a bartending gig in Manhattan.   Driving my VW Vanagon Camper ... I just couldn't keep my eyes open for the remaining 25 mile drive, so I pulled into a gas station parking lot.   As it was like 3:AM, obviously it was closed, and I had the parking lot to myself, and went to sleep in the back.   Or, at least for a while.   I heard another car pull in.  I figured it was someone like me ... too tired to drive any further to The Hamptons.   I looked out from my curtained windows.   I well-dressed lady in a Rolls-Royce stepped out, looked around ... pulled-up her skirt,  and proceeded to PEE, while standing.   Unceremoniously, she wiped herself with a tissue, pulled down her skirt, got in the Rolls and drove off.

"Ya just can't make this stuff up!"

9:09 a.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

Seriously, though ... my old girlfriend claimed women could LEARN to pee while standing.   She could.

Though I don't know from personal experience, it's apparently true.

Someone even has an instructional video and promoted it to me for outdoorswomen to learn how to do (they'd seen us cover one of the new female urination devices).

It came up in another forum thread earlier this year too.

4:54 a.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

This is a funny thread.  Just thought I'd add my experiance.  An old girldfrind and I were discussing how guy's could write there name in the snow while standing.  After laughiing about it she told me she could do the same. I thought no way, so we made a bet.  To my amazment, I lost. It was worth it though just to see.

12:21 p.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

I invented several such devices and had tremendous interest generated in my Mark II model. In fact, I think some of you might have seen this before and made offers.

Unfortunately, I never got past the Mark IV. The Mark V probably would have been fatal.

http://www.overmywaders.com/cblog/index.php?/archives/89-The-Pisscalator-Illustrated.html

12:51 p.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks overmywaders, I got a chuckle out of that.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply