Regional used-gear flea-markets / swap-meets ?

10:31 a.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hi ~~

I am a recently joined member here, although I have been hiking and camping since the early 1960s.   |Have gone through literally tons of gear, and hiked thousands of miles.

Was wondering ... |(??) ... are there any regional used-gear flea-markets that take place?

|I'm a surfer, and a musician.  We have events like this, and they are a fine source of gear and equipment, as well as a marvelous occasion to make 'connections'.  'Old school' networking.

Robert

1:57 p.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

Goodwill and second hand clothing stores have good gear and clothing sometimes. Some Goodwill stores sell everything by the pound, meaning you can get things very cheap. I bought a couple tents from them last year for a total of $6, one was a Eureka the other was a MSR. Both were in excellent condition and I sold the Eureka for $100 and the MSR for $150. I have gotten nice outdoor clothing from there too. I found a REI Goretex jacket, a Brunton Compass,etc.

2:45 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

If by chance you're Canadian, MEC has a whole gear swap section. I've never heard of a real life swap meet for gear though.

5:36 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hi, Gary ~~

Excellent suggestion.  Do you recall the per pound $$ amount the GoodWill store charged?

I'm going to mention to my local GoodWill store manager.   I don't ever recall seeing that (sell by the pound) here.

Regards,

r2

5:38 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

If by chance you're Canadian, MEC has a whole gear swap section. I've never heard of a real life swap meet for gear though.

Nawww.   USA.  Mid-Atlantic Region ... Maryland, on the Del-Mar-Va Peninsula, near the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean.

r2

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply