best summer bag???

10:42 p.m. on April 2, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

I'm looking for a new summer bag for backpacking. I'm 6 foot, 155 lbs. It will be a dedicated summer bag so I'm not looking for a lot of warmth. I don't like feeling crammed so most mummies aren't the best for me, but weight is an issue as I don't want it too heavy. What is everyone else like/use, what hasn't worked for you.....

1:34 a.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I bought and use a "Wiggy's" Overbag at Cabela's several years ago.   It's black, and is quite roomy; rated at 45-degrees (I think?).   I believe this is the same bag the Pentagon contracted to be provided to the military (in camo-).

All I can say, is that it really works well as a Summer bag, up to about 75-degrees or so.

I just got a  'Sea To Summit' Coolmax 'Adapter' with insect*shield, but I haven't used it yet.   It's kind-of a liner, but will be used when it's too hot for the above 'Wiggy's' 0verbag.

I suppose I could use them together, if the temps drop dramatically.

r2

5:01 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Summer is a bit vague. Could you be more precise on the temperature you'll generally be hiking in? Size and weight aside a semi mummie bag might be the best for you if you hare beings constricted while you sleep. Is the best of both worlds between mummie and rectangulars. Give us more infoand we can help better. Have a good one.

9:14 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Ha ha ha sorry, you mean you can't read my mind? I live in Ontario, Canada so mid-summer temperatures are usually around 15 celcius/60f. I have a Mountain Hardwear lamina for the winter which I believe they call "comfort mummy" or something along those lines.  I find it quite comfortable and never feel constricted, just to give you a reference point.

9:17 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

As of right now I'm leaning toward the Marmot Trestles trail as I've heard nothing but positive review-packs small, tiny weight, good warmth and good price.

9:51 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

if you think it will be warm at night too, you may just want to buy a bag liner - they are relatively cheap and can provide a fair amount of warmth. They weigh just a few ounces.

If it's going to get colder than 50 at night, I don't know that I'd use it because it might be too cold, but around my parts lately in Maine, the summers have had plenty of nights that haven't dropped below 70.

2:22 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

I'm from Ontario as well!  I have been eyeing that Marmot bag as well, right now I use a MEC Gosling bag, barrel shape, down and its around 2 pounds. It could pack a little smaller but it works for well for the summer temps we have in Ontario.

4:37 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

I've looked at that one as well mojoman. Has it ever been too hot for you? At a +5 rating I worry I would over heat in it as I sleep fairly warm. What are you experiences with it? Pack size is reasonable, good price, down and its from MEC are all positives for me. I'm doing the Killarney "100 km" loop this summer and want to keep a good weight to comfort ratio!

8:36 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I like the tresltle. Its great all around. The fit is is narrow on mine but I'm bigger than you so I guss you should be ok. Try it first. As for being to warm, better safe than sorry. Worse case unzip it.

10:32 a.m. on April 5, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

Hey Jake, It does get warm sometimes, but I keep it unzipped and it works good. I too am a warm sleeper, sometimes I'll just toss on some clothes and lay on top of my bag. So your going to do the La Cloche Sillouette Trail, nice!  My favourite spot in Ontario!  Only issue is the bugs!  Views are spectacular and the water taste awesome!

1:55 p.m. on April 5, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

You might look at a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. Like bags, some are down and some synthetic. Also like bags, prices vary according to materials used.

No personal experience, but a lot of lightweight backpackers love these things.  Here are reviews of a number of brands on the Backpacking Light website-

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/category_display.html?cid=38

BPL is a subscription site for a lot of content, but these reviews are free to read.

The RayWay quilt by Ray Jardine is a kit that uses a synthetic insulation, so the cost is fairly low if you or someone you know can sew-apparently it's not that hard to make for someone with some sewing experience.

2:40 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

You might also be interested in the Wicked Light 45 by Sierra Designs or the MityLite by Western Mountaineering. They're both summer bags somewhere in between rectangular and mummy and when compared to other sleeping bags by weight they do well.

8:19 p.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Jake have you thought of a Monbell super stretch#7 it's rated at 50 degree's.Also they have a U.L. Thermal hugger sheet at 50 degree's.Looks like a thin mummy bag..

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply