High Peak Products?

8:12 a.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a down sleeping bag to bring with me to Peru this summer and I came across this 0-Degree Goose Down bag from a company called High Peak that seems to good to be true for the price. 

Here is the link to the bag on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Goose-Down-Degree-Sleeping-made/dp/B0036QU74E

I was wondering if anyone had any information/experience with any of High Peaks products, particularly sleeping bags.  I have been able to find only a limited amount of information about them, but most of the reviews for their products seem to be positive.  Just wondering if I should trust them, thanks for any information. 

9:11 a.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I have a High Peak sleeping bag that I have used for several years now. It is a 20 degree synthetic fill mummy style bag I bought on e-bay for $40.  So far I have had no problems with mine, zippers have never stuck or broken, fabric has never torn, breath-ability is good, and at 2lbs you cant beat the weight to price ratio. One thing I have against my bag is the temp rating is about 10 degrees off. I get chilled as soon as temps drop below freezing.

Question... Why are you looking for a 0-Degree bag for the Peruvian summer? You might consider something a little cooler.

BTW- welcome to trailspace!

9:27 a.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Steven,

-I guess I should have clarified.  I am going this Summer (June-August), which is winter season in Peru.  I have read that temperatures can get below freezing and I am going to be at some pretty high altitudes so I am thinking I would need at least a 0-degree bag to be comfortable.

11:09 a.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Not much personal experience with High Peak products but those who I know that have had experiences with them have pretty good things to say about them. I would as a suggestion maybe take a liner as well because it can increase the temp rating up to 10 degrees. The extra weight(quite minimal) is minor being it could be the deciding factor of whether or not you stay warm. Just a suggestion.

Hey by the way Welcome to Trailsapce.

11:21 a.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

I have experience with High Peak, and can say nothing but good things. I have 1 tent and 2 sleeping bags made by them.

I have the Mt Rainier -20 and +20 sleeping bags, which are windproof and waterproof materials. I have laid in the shower with the -20 to test it's waterproof capabilities and no water leaked in except around my zipper a few drops got in.

The tent is also great, I have the Eduro.

The prices are so cheap because they have yet to break into the mainstream market for gear, and they want to appeal to more people...what better way than to blow everyone else out of the water with pricing.

Don't let cheap prices fool you - they make a solid product that my life relies on when I hike and climb.

3:34 p.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I have the High Peak Sirius bag. The comfort rating was for 52+ with the lowest rating at +20 at that point it fails to keep you safe. I have used it to 40 degrees with out getting chilled. I love the bag. Great bag for the buck. I have had no problems with it at all.

6:30 p.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

How high do you intend to go? A true zero degree bag will only get you to about 9K - 10K high in winter.  Lower still if going to Southern Peru.

Ed

12:09 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Ed-I am probably going to be at about 10k above sea level for most of the trip, but I might end up climbing one of the easier peaks in the Cordillera Blance (up to 18,000).  Do you think a -15 would be sufficient for something like that?

4:33 p.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

Moc - everyone sleeps different - some hot and some cold. What are you experiences with various temp rated sleeping bags? Are you typically cold or hot?

I would think a -15 to -20 bag would suffice. I am not sure if High Peak makes a -15 bag off the top of my head, but again I have the -20 Rainier bag, and it is comparable to any other -20 synthetic bag on the market.

Are you going to be warm and comfy if the temp truly drops to -20 without a wind chill? NO. But the bag will at least keep you alive.

12:09 a.m. on April 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi

You should be ok with a 0 degree bag - I been camping twice in Peru up to altitudes of 15000ft in July and September with no problem at all.

iClimb has a very good point about whether you are a hot or cold sleeper and Rick also has a good point about taking  a liner - I now use a silk liner and couldn't believe the difference it made on mt Kilimanjaro last year compared to when I was in bhutan - I was so much warmer. probably the best bit of equipment i took to Africa!

I'm not familiar with High peak as a brand - I have a wonderful custom made RAB (www.rab.co.uk) rated to -30C, and use it everywhere.

If you're going to be doing a lot of camping particularly at altitude or where nights can get very cold, it is worth considering getting your sleeping bag customised to your height - every extra cm of length is an extra cm of space that your body has to heat, ultimately detracting from keeping you heated.

good luck!

9:17 a.m. on April 11, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm glad someone agrees with me on the importance of fit for mummy bags.

10:36 a.m. on April 12, 2011 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I have a High Peak backpack.  I bought it on ebay when my son started scouting a few years back.  I have drug that thing all over the country.  Even abused it sometimes.  It is truly a wonderful pack.  When it gives out I will likely look for another.  I looked at their sleeping bags but wimped out because I am a cold sleeper and wanted something small.  If yours works well, maybe I will reconsider.  Keep us posted. 

I will say I have compared my pack to other "name" brands - you know we all really want the name brand - and cannot for the life of me see any great advantage to those over mine.  It isn't ultra lite, but isn't heavy either (3.2 lbs).

Good luck and let us know.

Jeff

6:15 a.m. on April 13, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Do you think a -15 would be sufficient for something like that?

A -15°F should be fine for the range of conditions expected for this time of year.

Ed

5:20 p.m. on April 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have a wonderful custom made RAB (www.rab.co.uk) rated to -30C, and use it everywhere.

....  it is worth considering getting your sleeping bag customised to your height - every extra cm of length is an extra cm of space that your body has to heat, ultimately detracting from keeping you heated.

About your bag ....  Was that an off-the-shelf bag that was 'customized' ?  If so, what was done ... and by whom?

Or ... was it 'custom'-made to your shape and size?

r2

5:58 p.m. on April 14, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,313 forum posts

As you will note by my post in Articles, I am going on an environmental research expedition to the Cordillera Blanca in late June through the end of July. Temperatures in the valleys (quebrada) get into the 80F range, despite it being "winter" (it is only 9 degrees south of the Equator, after all, just a few kilometers farther south than Kilimanjaro in Africa), and will get into the single digits (F) at the glacier camps at night or during storms. Yes, that is the "dry" season, but you can still get storms - these are mountains, after all, up to and over 20,000 ft, and the high crests not far from the Pacific Ocean. I am probably going to use my +15F bag, since our base camps will be at about 4000-4500m, well below the snow line.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply