Thoughts on water filters

7:16 p.m. on April 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Took out my old PUR explorer only to find it's entiry outdated.  It needs the bottom cover to operate properly and they don't make new filters/parts any longer.  Seems like I had nothing but trouble with this at the time and it was a pricey filter.  Also checked out the reviews on the explorer and not many people like dtem doue to flimsy handle issues to cracking problems.  I read some where here on trail space that it's all new with water filters in the last ten yrs.  So what's the score in both large and compact filters in  styles and make and models. What filter do you like/dislike In addition does anyone have any experiance with the Katadyn Survivor 35 hand operated desalinator.   Thanks

5:02 p.m. on April 11, 2011 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

You may find this thread helpful.

7:36 p.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

SteriPen Adventurer Opti Water Purifier and SteriPen FitsAll Filter

9:44 p.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

i have  been using an MSR sweetwater filter for several years.  not the smallest, and certainly not the most expensive, but it has been very easy to use and reliable.  it combines manual filtration with a few drops of chemical (liquid).   

i'm about to take off for ten days to costa rica, and in the interest of trying something different in a fairly save environment, i'm taking a steripen - a cheap 49 dollar 'traveler.'  it is fairly light and doesn't take up much space, and i'm convinced the technology works on clear water.  on the downside, the glass and bulb don't look suited to rough treatment, it supposedly doesn't work well on cloudy/dirty water, and it runs on batteries - no batteries, no safe water.

12:34 a.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

What's a water filter??

(I use a #1 coffee filter & a small funnel for my Steripen water and my chlorine dioxide tablet water.)

Yeah, I have an old PUR filter that has a new element and a First Need filter that is in excellent working order. They are for home emergencies.

The way things are going in the world it probably wont' be long before I need them...  :(

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply