Thoughts on making a Tyvek batwing/tent tarp

7:17 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Was wondering if any of you have made a tent tarp or wing out of Tyvek?  I know I'm not the first to think of this.  I can get a 10x12 piece for around $24.  Might even be able to find it for free in the free section on Craigslist if I wait a while.  I currently have a three ft. roll but that would require a lot of seams and seam sealing.  The two disadvantages I can see are it's ugly and it would make noise in the wind.  As for ugly I was thinking of painting it camo, I'm not really worried about how it breathes as I'm going to use it more as tarp or wing and am thinking more about how light it is and the fact that it repels water so well (oh yea, its really inexpensive).  As for the noise factor I'm told that if you ball it up alot by hand and then wash it in a front loader that makes it softer and less stiff, I would guess this will reduce the the noise factor quite a bit.  I'd do folded seams on the sides and reinforce the areas where I would use gromits.  I was planning on knoting the corners rather than using gromits for strength as its my experiance that the corners can and will tear out first.  Waddaya think?

7:59 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

There are about 10 different types of Tyvek, if you are referring to the Tyvek House Wrap I haven't found it to be all that waterproof.

You will need to know the Hydrostatic Head rating for the type you plan to use, higher rating number is better. The minimum I would consider is 1000 - 1200. As best I recall of the top of my head most tent material is 1200 and up with some as high as 5000. Here is some info at the Tyvek website if you haven't already been there.

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/products/tyvek_styles/product_type.html

8:39 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Thanks, trouthunter

12:29 a.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I've used for various app's.  

I worked in construction for 30 years.   I picked-up immediately on its utility, when it first came out.

Of course, I could get the very wide (8 ft +) stuff at the job-site.   Always plenty to be had.

Color / ugh-wee never concerned me.   I always have a folded sheet of it in my backpack.   Very sensible to have it with you.

Tip -- keep some in your car (trunk, other).   I use it to lie down on, when I need to work underneath my Vanagon Westy.  Keeps good clothes from being soiled.

Yogi Robt

11:35 p.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

You can spray or wipe down or spray a Tyvek tarp or groundcloth with some Nikwax (or Textron) and it actually works pretty well at increasing the contact angle and beading up water.

I've done this to my el cheapo Tyvek groundcloths that I take when I'm on snow...It actually works pretty well there too.

9:33 a.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Dont know about painting it. It seems to me that folding or wadding it up would make for paint flakes everywhere.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply