What is a good day -pack / biking -pack ?

11:27 p.m. on April 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I spend a fair amount of time biking; ... on a road-bike and on a mountain-bike (until I wiped-out my bike and my knee coming down a ski-slope in the Poconos last Summer.   Have a replacement).

I am looking for a great pack that will serve double-duty.   Don't want a completely "minimalistic" pack, like a summit pack.   Need something with ample hydration capacity, room for dried-fruit, sunglasses, hi-vis windbreaker, arm and knee warmers, gloves, 1st-aid kit, ball-cap.  Bikes have handlebar-mounted zip-bags (for cell-phone, maps, sunscreen, lip-balm,  tools, spats, etc.) ... no pannier on road-bike.

Ideally, this same pack would serve for a really fine day-pack, for hiking.  

Also, I don't want to look like a 15-yr old, with a pimped-out 'dakine' bag, and with an iPod and earbuds.

Suggestions ??

Yogi Robt

2:54 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Camelbak makes great backpacks for biking (i.e. Havoc) that can double as a day pack too.

4:10 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Maybe an Osprey Stratos 24. I have the 26 and I love it. There are alot of options out there.

6:17 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

I am not sure the company name, but there are manufacturers that make a daypack that doubles as a pannier for bike touring. I have seen them with straps to wear on your back or fold into a sleeve to put the pack onto a bikerack to use as a pannier. Wearing a pack while cycling can get in the way and add unwanted weight on your center of gravity while riding. I bike tour a lot so I know (since 1982).

6:24 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yes, Gary.   Correct.  

I am contemplating a utilitarian pannier for the road-bike.   Good suggestion.

For the mountain-bike ( a "Specialized" ), I obviously would not try to fit a pannier (if there was a way to do so).  Hence; the backpack.   Would go as light as possible (UL ?) to avoid the high C of G, as you wisely cautioned.

Yogi Robt

8:34 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

Well, on one of my earlier 80s bike tours I went cheap and bought four regular daypacks and strapped the shoulder straps onto the front and rear racks. It worked okay, but I used them but for one tour from Jackson Hole to Tucson. I now use another set of homemade panniers made from square ex-mayonaise buckets. If I do carry a pack while touring its just my 3 liter Camelbak of water.

And check out this website I just found: www.arkel-od.com/ and click on Urban Commuting, then check out the Switchback and Bug, convertable daypack to pannier bags.

Bike-Touring-in-Jackson-Hole-with-the-Sl

This shot is on a short tour around Jackson Hole WY, with the homemade rear pail panniers. The Sleeping Indian Mtn and Gros Vont River are in the background. I also have made a set of front panniers from another set of pails and use a backrack on the front to hold them.

Nice thing about the pails, I left the bails on them so I can carry them easily. They all hold about 5 gallons, making them useful for carrying water to camp, I can sit on them and used them for ice chests,tables and for caching food and gear along long backcountry hiking routes.

When I tour I call it bike/hike touring because I travel thru areas I plan to do multiday hikes along. I ride to the areas I want to hike then lock my bike to a tree and head in on foot for multiday trips, then return to my bike and tour on till I find another place I want to explore by foot.

I pack very light as my biketouring and backpacking gear weighs in at about 10 pounds not counting food and water.

Pail-Panniers.jpg

Close-up on my rear pail panniers. I sprayed them bright orange and put reflector tape around them.

11:09 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Gary, what model Trek is that? I had a few(along with a Gary Fisher, Cannondale, now a Specialized. I still miss my Trek. Someone snagged it when I wasn't looking. :(

11:56 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Good Grief !

Saddle and bars are awfully high.   How tall are you?

Or, is that a circus bike ?

BTW -- Cool idea for those pail panniers.

Yogi Robt

12:02 a.m. on April 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

That Arkel site has some cool stuff.   I've bookmarked it.   Thanks for the link.

Yogi Robt

9:08 a.m. on April 23, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

there are a lot of options.  for me, low profile is key.  i like a narrow daypack that rests in the middle of my back and can handle hydration if i want more water than the one bottle i have on my bike (my regular is a cannondale cyclecross bike).  narrow. 

1:16 p.m. on April 23, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

Its a 19 inch Trek 4500. I am 6 ft 7 in tall.  I rode this bike across Alaska in 2006 and down from Wyoming to Arizona in 2009.

3:22 p.m. on April 23, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Camel back +1

3:39 p.m. on April 23, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

sorry, didn't complete my thought.  i use a cold cold world ozone for cycling, bike-commuting, and day hiking.  works well, very durable.  on the large side, about 37 liter.  back pad is not well-ventilated, though.  some of the smaller osprey packs are nicely vented and not as large, but i tried them for biking and they seemed like good options - the talon and manta lines. 

8:41 a.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Went to a couple 'high-end' / professional bike shops in Annapolis, MD, yesterday (about 45-min drive).

WOW !!   The dedicated panniers and bags are VERY EXPENSIVE !   Very well made, though.

I am beginning to look for those mayonnaise pails as Gary suggested.

Yogi Robt

10:34 a.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Just a heads-up, also look for cat litter pails. I know Tidy Cat comes in a pail that is almost identical to what Gary has pictured and is probably alot more common than the big mayo buckets. Might make your search a bit easier.

12:31 p.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Thanks, Rick ~~

Take a look at my avatar photo-image.   That's my 'best buddy ever', "Smoke", a Russian Blue that has huge canine teeth (can't see them in this pic, but he looks like a miniature sabre-toothed tiger).

Sadly, he now lives with former-wife (his health suffered from the stress of being 'shared' as a 'joint-custody' deal).

I shall have to hit-up former-wife for those litter pails. 

Yogi Robt

8:33 p.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

My wife and I have 2 cats n 2 dogs. The one cat we have looks almost identical to the one in your pic. Same color, only difference Jynx is a long hair furball...

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply