new CC Sidewinder

12:44 a.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Well, I've gone and blown a wad on a new Caldera Cone Sidewinder, Inferno wood burning option and 3 cup matching pot.

But... boy does that stove work well. With ESBIT or FireLite tabs and the Gram Cracker tab holder it boils much faster than my Vargo Triad base and MSR windscreen setup.

And the wood burning Inferno kit is truly amazing. Two hands full of twigs last 20 minutes and boils water quickly.

A 1/8" thick piece of Thompson's Water Seal treated plywood beneath the Ti base sheet keeps it from melting into a stomped out snow table. Not having to carry my MSR Dragonfly stove and fuel bottle is wonderful.  Just a half dozen ESBIT tabs for backup.

And the stove is cheery at night - IF you keep it away from synthetic fabrics like silnylon tents and down jackets.  I may carry a Ti or stainless top screen for spark abatement.

Eric

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply