Tough Mudder/Warrior Dash shoes

10:08 p.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

So I am going to be participating in this year's Warrior Dash, and I'm looking on getting into more races like it, like Tough Mudder, I'm pretty pumped!

Thing is, I want to get the proper footwear for it. I have some Salomon Speedcross 2 GTXs on the way, but I've read some articles saying that gore-tex in trail running shoes is a big no-no. If this is true, I'd be wary of getting them for this race.

Also, they're not just for the race, I'd like a good pair of daily running shoes, any suggestions?

12:26 a.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I also am going to be doing the Warrior Dash in Tennessee this September.  I didn't even think about what kind of shoes to wear.  Great question!  Hopefully we see some good suggestions.

1:42 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Where OLD shoes you do not care about. they'll be completely covered in mud...heck YOU will be completely covered in mud.

I've warriored dashed the last 2 years. Fun stuff. Haven't done Tough Mudder yet

2:08 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I have a pair of old asics running shoes, but i figure that id just wash these new shoes off after the race and keep using them for trail running

what did you think of the race? any words of wisdom?

4:00 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

whats up bud.... love zeppelin btw. The Battle of Evermore is my all time fav song.

washing them will be a task, but do-able im sure.

For warrior dash...don't put too much thought /effort into training. The one out near chicago is on flat farm land. it's about 3-4 miles, so if  you are in decent shape no need to "train" really

tough mudder (which i havent done yet) is 10-12 miles and supposed to have more difficult obstacles, so that one is worthy of more training etc..

with the warrior dash, just have fun! lots of ladies do it as well with some interesting outfits/costumes. at the finish they hand you a huge BEER and t-shirt.

1:31 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

once the mud gets on the inside of GTX shoes they don't work.wick like you bought them for.  I agree with the post to use older shoes.  Try putting some new beds in them and have fun.

2:37 p.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

ok , so it seems like consensus says that GTX is not the way to go for trail shoes

@chicagojosh - my fav is the ocean lol, followed probably by good times bad times

yeah, i do 3-4 miles without any problem, so warrior dash should just be interesting. you have piqued my interest with the promise of ladies in costumes lmao

@Callahan - like you said, ill probably just use crummy old shoes for the race itself, but im gonna get trail running shoes anyway. need an excuse haha

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply