Been thinking of getting another umbrella for hiking. Comments ?

11:55 p.m. on April 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Several years ago, sort of on a whim, I packed-along a stalwart umbrella, while hiking the Appalachian Trail (in Maine, during  late October).  Rain was forecast ( ... and did it ever ! ).  

It was not a 'golf umbrella' (shudder) ... not one of those compact "Totes" umbrellas .... It was a proper 'bumbershoot'; had a straight cork handle (not hooked) ... and whatever the heck they call the so-called 'wind-proof' little secondary canopy at the top.

Being one that has endured rains of Bibical proportions ... and experienced water draining down into my boots (GoreTex would never be useful), despite a splendid rain-shell ... I was pleased with my apparent wisdom and far-sightedness. 

That umbrella is history.

Thinking of replacing it with one of the offerings from www.davekny.com.

Eye-popping prices:  roughly $80 to $150.   One model, the "Solo" has a carbon-fibre canopy frame.   Diameters are generous.

Go-Lite has one, I think (?); but it is kinda 'wimpy'.   Wouldn't endure, to my standards.

In "Robert's Perfect World", a fine umbrella for the trails and the off-trail excursions, the umbrella would be multi-purpose.   Something like a 'stealth / James Bond' kinda deal.   Would utilize the hollow shaft as a blowgun, or spear-gun, for example.   Also, with interchangeable pointy tips for defending against wild boars,  terrorists, Ninja's and such.

Probably wouldn't get past the airport security checks (classified as a 'weapon' ?).

Anyhow ... what do you think of these from davekny ?

Other suggestions?

Or, am I being too mundane and 'pedestrian' for the "real, macho men" out there?

Yogi Robt

12:09 a.m. on April 30, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

I think DIY is the way to go...pair an upper assembly from a Davek umbrella (if that's your choice) with a section of carbon fiber tubing from fibraplex.com. You could fashion a fitting at the end of the carbon tube that would attach to another, very short section of carbon tube fixed to the umbrella head. You could then fashion other sections of short tube attached to whatever you like...spear...torch...nerf launcher. You could just remove the fitting and you have your blowgun. I suppose there's some way to rifle the inside of the carbon tubing. You could make a handle any number of ways. Pressure switches could be run...That would be a fun project!

You could make a business out of it pretty easily, actually. I bet one could charge upwards of $500 for a...survival umbrella...like that...

12:37 a.m. on April 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Shure seems like they would have come up with a component system using trekking poles.

4:55 a.m. on April 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

You could make a business out of it pretty easily, actually. I bet one could charge upwards of $500 for a...survival umbrella...like that...

I like that.  SURVIVAL UMBRELLA.

Dunno (?) 'bout the $500 tariff ... but, it would open up many possibilities, like a 'component system' ... even utilizing trekking-poles, as Brian suggested.

Yogi Robt

8:03 p.m. on April 30, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

When people over at edcforums.com pay upwards of $100 for a titanium key-chain tool thingie, I think they'd go for this at $500 all day long...just call it a "limited edition" run, and number each one individually.

Thought about the trekking pole conversion as well, but trekking poles are best when as light as possible. Plus, most people use two poles, so an individual wouldn't likely buy such a product for trekking pole use because she or he would need to then find another single pole to match, and even then the poles would be different weights...it would, however, work as part of a single, center tent pole, as used in pyramid-style tents. Or as part of a hiking staff.

8:53 p.m. on April 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I was thinking you could have it clip onto one of your trekking polls or staff and then unclip it went not needed and carry it in your pack or in the convenient, free, belt pocket holder thingy ( ya gaotta get something for free when you spend $500 for a $50 item, eh  ;-}> ).

6:15 a.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

When people over at edcforums.com pay upwards of $100 for a titanium key-chain tool thingie, I think they'd go for this at $500 all day long...just call it a "limited edition" run, and number each one individually.

Or, label it "For EXTREME use".

The Dem's leadership (Sen. Charles Schummer, NY ) was recently "outted",  for secretly informing Congressional Democratic Senators and Representatives to label statements made by rival Republicans, as "extreme" or "extremist".

He says using the term(s) gets a lot of attention, especially from the press.

Yogi Robt

7:27 p.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Umbrella Hat ?????  Would keep your arms free.

4:34 a.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

I don’t like wearing hoods, and have considered toting an umbrella.  Golite has some really light stuff, one with a reflective dome to repel rays when used as a sun parasol.  If may not be up to a gale, but my use would be for showers and sun, not Noah’s storm.  If you like hanging out in the rain, versus cowering in a tent, or have a tent entrance that doesn’t provide a dry entry, an umbrella seems highly desirable.  (Perhaps I have just talked myself into getting one.)

Ed

8:01 a.m. on May 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

The thing about a PROPER umbrella ( vs one like the GoLite, which would not last in the "real world"), is its utility for regular usage.   Here in the USA East, we have frequent rain.  Matter-of-fact, it is now raining (lightly) here on Maryland's Eastern Shore.  They are not very heavy, a'tall.  I am tempted to acquire a GoLite umbrella; curious about their "unbreakable" claim.   I wonder if they'll stand behind it, considering Gary Player's travails with his bag.

Oddly, not many folks use umbrellas, particularly women.  I always notice the KINDS of people that DO USE umbrellas; mostly older.   Shoes, also.  But, I won't get into THAT, here.   I just came in from my morning walk, and I was wearing my old L.L.Bean 'duck shoes'.   I have one pair that I have actually worn most of the tread off  the soles.   I visited the L.L.Bean home store in Freeport, Maine.  They have an old pair (Leon's own?) of original duck shoes encased in a Lucite display.   Mine look more worn, by far.  

The local taverns / pubs  here have umbrella stands in the entryways / foyers.  Good thinking.

Yogi Robt

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply