About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Tent recomendation...?

8:49 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
573 forum posts

I'm looking to shed some weight and not have to bring my 4 season tent on my summer trip this year.  I am looking for a 2 person, 2 doors, 2 vestibules and ideally around 4 lbs. The one that keeps coming up is MSR's hubba hubba, but I like to explore my options and hear peoples suggestions. If you have personal experience on durability, quality that would be helpful and of course price! Thanks!

11:23 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Alps Mountaineering - Trtion 1.5  (also comes in a 2 person version)

There is 2 doors and 2 vestibules on the 1.5 and the 2 person tents.

Min. = Tent + Fly + Footprint + Poles + min. Stakes + Bag = 4lb3-3/4oz

Max.= Tent + Fly + Footprint + Poles + max. Stakes + Braces + Bag = 4lb11-3/8oz

Max. =  w/ 5'7"x7'7" Tarp and needed pegs = 5lb14-3/4oz

4:00 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

You might want to take a look at Big Agnes tents. The Copper Spur or Jack Rabbit fit your criteria. My son has had a Sunnyside 2 (no longer in production) for almost 4 years and it has held up well in heavy rain and high wind.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Tents

10:17 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I also agree that the Copper Spur is a very well made tent that is pretty durable and very light. I have the UL1 and it weighs 3lbs. The UL2 is bigger with another door and 2 vestibules that are the same size. With the UL1 there is also a fastpitch option that just uses the fly/footprint without the inner and it drops the weight 2.2lbs. I am pretty sure all of the Copper Spur line offers this option for extra weight savings. I can't speak much as to actually using the UL2 but I have to say Big Agnes makes a great product. Mine was up for 3 days of solid rain and gusty wind and it hasn't leaked one drop. A few people complained about this tent having condensation issues. I have not had this problem. Actually, for me it has been the complete opposite.

I will make one very strong suggestion. By all means use a footprint. Whether it be the one from Big Agnes(which ya have to have for fastpitch set-up), MSR, or a tarp cut to dimensions. With these lighter tents you get lighter materials. Mine is a sil/nylon with 1200 coating and if you push the floor down without a footprint in the grass you can actually see the grass through it.

I don't think that you would go wrong at all with the MSR either. I do know that the dimensions on the Copper Spur UL1 and the Hubba which are solos are a bit different. Simply put the UL1 is bigger. So that might be something you want to take into consideration as well because this may carry over to the other models as well.

Also check out the Emerald Mountain SL and Seedhouse SL. They all have their pros and cons.

There are quite a few other tents out there. Just look around, read as many reviews as possible, and most of all have fun with it.

Price wise shop around deals are out there.

5:51 p.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
973 reviewer rep
573 forum posts

I'd never seen the Jack Rabbit before, that looks about right. Love the weight of the seedhouse and fly creek from BA but both only have a single door and vestibule. The triton does seem like enough of a weight savings to justify buying a new tent. 

Rick I completly agree about the footprints. I use one with my winter tent (although its not as neccisary in winter as theres less sharp objects to cut the bottom). In the long run though its so much less money to buy a new foorprint then a new tent!

6:53 p.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jake-I am with you on the single/front entrance aspect of those models(Seedhouse/Fly Creek.) That's one of the reasons why I shelled out the extra dough on the Spur(side entrance.)

A few more problems I have encountered with a front entrance model is when entering in a deluge you end up getting rain inside of your tent from the lack of over-hang(fly) and the slope of the inner usually kills a bit of vestibule space.

The Emerald Mountain and Copper Spur are both dual side entry models that utilize a ridge pole which eliminates the wetting out problem during entry plus make the most of "usable" vestibule space.

Emerald Mountain SL2 trail weight is 4lb 6oz, fastpitch 3lbs 3oz http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-agnes/emerald-mountain-sl2/

The Copper Spur UL2 trail weight is 3lb 6oz, fastpitch comes in at 2lb 8oz. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-agnes/copper-spur-ul2/

Of course the Copper Spur is a bit more $$$ but the Emerald Mountain is not a slouch in its own rite.

7:04 p.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
90 forum posts

If I were looking for a light quality 2 person tent I'd probably look into a Hilleberg Nallo 2 or Stephenson 2R or Climber depending on how much room you want. Neither Hilleberg nor Stephenson are cheap but they will last a you a long time. The Nallo 2 can be bought with a large vestibule (the GT model)  instead of the small one but that adds weight.

Not quite the two doors/vestibules you looked for but very good tents...

10:30 p.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Summer tent?  Ever think about some hammocks?

7:32 a.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
973 reviewer rep
573 forum posts

I'm not a hammock guy. I've tried it, and want to like it, but I just find I wake up with a sore back and it ruins the next day for me.

I think I'm gonna have to compare the Hubba hubba and the BA's jack rabbit and emerald mountain.

Rick- do you know the difference between the emerald and the spur? Other than the weight, for an extra $150, I'd probably just carry the extra pound.

1:03 p.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jake- after a lil more of an in depth look at the 2 models this is what I came up with:

Emerald Mountain SL2- The tent is 90" long. Now mind you I have heared that this is measured from grommet to grommet length wise. I am waiting on an email back from BA to confirm this so there isn't any confusion.

Width at the head is 52" and width at the foot is 42", Head height is 42" Ya get 29 sq' of floor space and 22 sq' of vestibule space. Packed up in the stuff sack 8"x 20"

On a side note there is an optional "larger vestibule" that zips to the tent. Nice option for more storage if needed.

Copper Spur UL2- Length is 86"(still waiting on that email) Width at head is 52" and 42" at the foot end. Head heigth is 38" and ya get 18 sq' of vestibule.

Both utilize DAC Featherlight NSL poles. So the trade offs are the Spur is a lil smaller/lighter and the Emerald Mountain is bigger/a lil heavier plus you can extend your vestibule which could be beneficial. Then there is the price difference.

I did have another thought. If you look at the inners on both models the Emerald Mountain has a good bit more. My concern with that is this. Ya ever been in a tent and get the splashing effect from heavy rain that seems to mist inside the tent with you or a dusting of snow comes in unexpectedly and win blows the dust under the tent? Well being where the mesh starts on the EM(starts lower) it may be more of a possibility as opposed to the Spur(mesh start point is higher.) I am not saying this will be the case. Just a general observation that I made. Now being you have a cold weather tent already that may be a complete afterthought on your end.

Anyway, if ya have anymore questions or what not please do not hesitate to ask. -Happy Hiking

4:11 p.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Add-On my last post it, last paragraph, 2nd sentance is suppost to say "the Emerald Mountain has a good bit more mesh." Sorry about that.

6:01 p.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
973 reviewer rep
573 forum posts

Thats a very acute observation Rick, and I see what you mean. I guess the flip side of that though is that more mesh means more ventilation (albeit just a bit!). I'm going on an extended trip this summer so your right, most times I'll be stcking to my regular tent but weight is at a bit more of a premium here (I'm not normally the "ultralight" type, I'm a bit more of a mule, gives me an excuse as to why I'm movin so slowly!!). I do like the extra length, larger vestibule and of course the price of the EM!

I saw that you have the UL1, any thoughts on Big Agnes as a company? I currently don't own any of their products but have heard many good things.

I'd love to hear what BA has to say about the difference between the 2 of them when they get back to you...

9:44 p.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jake- Well, the quality of their tents from what I have seen is really good. I like my Spur alot. I have a few associates that I hike with from time to time that are very big fans of Ol' Agnes and her tents. One friend had an issue with his poles being bent awhile back. From what I recall it was his fault(widowmaker landed on it) but Agnes stepped up to the plate to help out and sent him free reaplacements with out him even sending the bad ones in.

Overall I have yet to hear anything negative about them. Personally, I am impressed with my tent. I guess they have a few awards under their belts for a reason. Then again I could care less about awards, I only care if it works, and for me simply put... It does.

I'm probably not much different than you as far as being a "mule." I just wanted to lighten it up a bit.

2:20 p.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jake- Here is a personal experience I just had with them. When I ordered my Copper Spur I jumped on a package deal that I found online. It included the footprint at no additional charge. Well when I got my tent guess what? No footprint. I was bummed. I contacted the retailer and apparently there was some confusion on their end in regards to the package deal and the footprint was no longer available. They didn't even have it in stock.

So I contacted Big Agnes via email and explained what happened. They agreed that this situation was odd as well. They offered to send me the footprint at no additional charge. I don't even have to cover shipping.

I am very impressed with their customer service to say the least and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't hesitate on purchasing a tent from Big Agnes. They went above and beyond for me.

****Oh on a side note as far as any other difference in between the Emerald Mountain and the Spur the above that I stated above pretty much covers it. On the measurements grommet to grommet is basically the standard on how manufacturers come up with their dimensions on their tents. That was the response I received from BA.****

4:28 p.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

sound as you made your mind against tents with a single door...but...I hope that my next tent will be a Tarptent cloudburst 2 - now we are talking weight saving!

4:56 p.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Like the Tarptent Cloudburst 2 (MSRP $260) above, here is somthing I found.  The Appy Trails tents (3 man MSRP $100, 5 man $120)

The Clould burst has a clip in floor where as the Appy does not.

This might be worth checking out.  I havn't heard any feedback, but at these prices I think I'm going to take a chance.

Backpacking Tent 1 lb. 2.7 oz. 3.5’ tall 3 man

Backpacking Tent 1 lb. 11 oz. 6’ tall 5 man

If you need a floor many people are using tyvek house wrap, so far I'm having great luck with it.  I'm working on a tarp using it.  So far so good.

http://www.appytrails.com/at_four_man.html

5:41 p.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
370 forum posts

I can't think of anything in outdoor gear as confusing as buying a tent. It's why I never have. I let someone else bring one, or I use my Gore-Tex bivy at 1LB. For me, it is more daunting than computer troubleshooting, car repair, or whatever else I have to "fix" in the travels of life. I look at tents, and I just walk away from them. I feel like I have a better chance of speaking fluent Mongolian after a weekend of study than making a good choice for a tent. Incredibly frustrating, and not in a way I enjoy.

8:59 p.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I share your frustration(s) ....

Haven't bought a tent in over 20 years, nor used one.   I have two Outdoor Research Bivvies.   I'm a 'gnarly dude', anyhow.   I enjoy the challenge of really 'roughing it'. 

Screw a tent.  

Yogi Robt

12:04 a.m. on May 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Haven't bought a tent in over 20 years, nor used one.   I have two Outdoor Research Bivvies.   I'm a 'gnarly dude', anyhow.   I enjoy the challenge of really 'roughing it'. 

Screw a tent.  

Yogi Robt

I have slept in bivies a few times. I like them. I am currently looking at the BA 3 wire(event) for lightweight winter play. I have run into a few people that compare them to coffins. Guess they are not for everyone.

12:38 a.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2.  4lbs 11 oz.  I've got the Zephyr 3 5lbs 7oz. Nice tent easy to setup. Like their ads say... A little more for a little less.  If you changed to aluminum stakes you could probably cut the weight significantly.

8:32 a.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Robert Rowe said:

Screw a tent.  

Yogi Robt

I have slept in bivies a few times. I like them. I am currently looking at the BA 3 wire(event) for lightweight winter play. I have run into a few people that compare them to coffins. Guess they are not for everyone.

There is that "claustrophobic" aspect ... as well as figuring-out ventilation.  Other than in extreme wind, a  small, make-shift fly / canopy, over the opening does the job.   Not hard to do with a small piece of Tyvek, or your rain-shell.   Another application for a cagoule or poncho ?

NoSmo King

April 25, 2014
Quick Reply