Insect-repellant 1000 times stronger than DEET

10:25 p.m. on May 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Researchers at Vanderbilt University (Tenn), have developed a compound that promises to be 1000 times stronger than DEET.

I just learned of this, and I do not have details.

Apparently, the compound "confuses" the insect's (mosquitoes, in this case) receptors, primary the olfactory ones, into an "overload" sequence.

Details shall emerge presently, hopefully.  Think of the ramifications ....

Yogi Robt

10:55 p.m. on May 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I'll bet it's a tequila derivative.  That always confuses my receptors! ;-}>

12:43 a.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

apeman said:

I'll bet it's a tequila derivative.  That always confuses my receptors! ;-}>

Don't remind of the stupid things I have done during a Tequila sensory overload.  Luckily I can not remember some of them.  Oh, is that a good thing.

7:18 a.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

( insert smilie )

7:40 a.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,176 forum posts

I take out a small mp3 player with a speaker which plays a continuous loop of audio from the Dances With The Stars TV show and it confuses ALL INSECTS APPROACHING ME OR ON A FLIGHT PATH TOWARDS ME.  The loud clapping, the endless cheering, the yelling of Tom Bergeron---all these factors confuse insects as they fly into trees and stumble around on the ground in circles with little eyes pleading me to shut it off.  No chemicals needed.  Of course, for it to work you yourself have to endure the same form of audioboarding, (like waterboarding), which WILL ruin a trip.

7:47 a.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Researchers at Vanderbilt University (Tenn), have developed a compound that promises to be 1000 times stronger than DEET.

Apparently, the compound "confuses" the insect's (mosquitoes, in this case) receptors, primary the olfactory ones, into an "overload" sequence.

Yogi Robt

The compound has a tentative working-name, VUAA 1.

Dunno (?) if it is 'google-able' yet ....  Not seeing it there.   Apparently the first two letters reference Vanderbilt University.

May be some clever irony in the AA part ....

Not finding it in Wikipedia, either, which usually is the first referencing posting.  I am a member/contributor on Wikipedia.   I could have posted the topic as a submission myself, but it is necessary to provide reference-sources of the information.

9:28 a.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

THat would definitely be revolutionary. How did you chance upon the info?

9:58 a.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

gonzan said:

THat would definitely be revolutionary. How did you chance upon the info?

Good question.

I do not have television.   (Donated all several of them to charity, GoodWill, etc., at the time the FCC transitioned analog signal to digital.    Almost never was much of a viewer, anyhow)

I access the internet for "news".   Literally, "all over the 'net"; so, I shall have to go back and re-trace my 'info-seeking excursions'.

When I find something interesting, I usually jot-down the information in a notebook.  That is what I did in this instance; although, I did NOT note the source.   A mistake, apparently.

I tend to avoid known biased media sources.  Not many good ones 'out-there', unfortunately. 

Will report, if successful.

r2

10:07 a.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

A-Ha !!

Found it!   I'm a Sci / Tech 'junkie' ... so, it is common to run-across info such as this in my web-surfing.

Here 'Ya go: 

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/10/new-insect-repellent-thousands-times-effective-deet

My browser (Mozilla-Firefox)  does not pick this up, directly, for some reason.

If you experience same, go to www.foxnews.com/scitech.   Click-on to the "Sci/Tech" heading.   Scroll through the selected topics.   I found it down further ....   I'm seeing in under the "Wild Nature" heading.

r2

12:24 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Yogi Robt

The compound has a tentative working-name, VUAA 1.

Dunno (?) if it is 'google-able' yet ....  Not seeing it there.   Apparently the first two letters reference Vanderbilt University.

May be some clever irony in the AA part ....

Not finding it in Wikipedia, either, which usually is the first referencing posting.  I am a member/contributor on Wikipedia.   I could have posted the topic as a submission myself, but it is necessary to provide reference-sources of the information.

AA= ABSOLUTELY ARSENIC ...that'll fix em...

2:33 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yeah ... kinda like C.C.A., sometimes known as "salt-treated lumber" or "pressure-treated lumber" ... you know, the 'green stuff' that is used outdoors for fence, decks, swing-sets and pilings, etc.

We in the construction trades ALWAYS took great caution in working with this stuff.  One does not want to inhale the sawdust, nor get a splinter.  Also, to NOT use it at home in fireplaces or woodstoves.   Even being downwind from an outdoor burn is to be avoided.  Noxious / toxic fumes.  I have even encountered this lumber used as framing-studs, behind sheetrock.  Some doofus "Harry Homeowner" engrossed with his "D.I.Y. skills".   Whole family was probably suffering various maladies.   It's carcinogenic, also.

Why?

C.C.A. is the abbreviated version of Cuprous (copper) Cyanide  Arsenate.

Baaaaaad stuff, indeed!

Yogi Robt

3:11 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

BTW, everyone --

Support BACTERIA !

They are the ONLY CULTURE some people have.

Yogi Robt

3:37 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

When I am bug country I eat a lil fresh garlic every day or add it too my food. When I pedaled across Alaska in 2006, covering 1000 miles I never got bit. And up there the mosquitos are really bad. In the southwest here the deer and horse flies don't bother landing on me either. I hear one can even take those garleek or whatever spelling capsules instead of eating the fresh stuff. I like the hottish taste of fresh garlic tho!

5:12 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

When I am bug country I eat a lil fresh garlic every day or add it too my food. When I pedaled across Alaska in 2006, covering 1000 miles I never got bit. And up there the mosquitos are really bad. In the southwest here the deer and horse flies don't bother landing on me either. I hear one can even take those garleek or whatever spelling capsules instead of eating the fresh stuff. I like the hottish taste of fresh garlic tho!

+1 on the garlic Gary. I've been eating a clove a day for years... Seems to make a difference with the flying critters around wet hot areas and also when around livestock. I mainly eat it for the health benefits but it also has a great benefit when ya engage in those face to face conversations ya don't want to be involved in. :)

7:59 a.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

One may or may not believe it, but I totally agree with you guys (Rick and Gary) about the garlic.  There is a noticeable difference when outdoors if I have or have not eaten garlice recently.  Like Rick I totally try to get the one clove (or more) a day!  I occassionally get told by friends eating food that I have cooked that there was too much garlic....and I say "That's not possible....there is never TOO much garlic"...LOL.

I have also heard that tobacco juice keeps some bugs away, anyone heard of that one before?

10:30 a.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yeah ... I hear 'Ya ....

But what about your wife / 'significant other' / girl-friend / lover ???

Probably OK if she's gnawling on the stuff, too ... but ...

Just wonderin' ... 'Ya know ?

r2

11:32 a.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
3:28 a.m. on May 28, 2011 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

I just use dryer sheets... haven't had much of a problem since I started using them!

6:33 a.m. on May 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

travelnate said:

I just use dryer sheets... haven't had much of a problem since I started using them!

How do you use the dryer-sheets ?

~ r2 ~

2:44 p.m. on May 28, 2011 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

tie them to a zipper pull on my pack and then put another near my shoulder harness.  Keeps the godzilla bugs up here in Alaska away (for the most part).  even nicer @ camp, since I'm not loading my body/clothes/gear up with stinky bug spray.

2:53 p.m. on May 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

travelnate said:

tie them to a zipper pull on my pack and then put another near my shoulder harness.  Keeps the godzilla bugs up here in Alaska away (for the most part).  even nicer @ camp, since I'm not loading my body/clothes/gear up with stinky bug spray.

Interesting.   Very interesting ....

I wonder (?) what the heck is in them that does such a good job ....

~ r2 ~

4:17 p.m. on June 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts
5:52 p.m. on June 1, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,203 forum posts

Nicotine is an insecticide so maybe thats why tobacco works. 

11:12 p.m. on June 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

What I'm interested in is this stuff available in any sold product out on the market yet. Anyone heard anything?

8:02 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Since noone answered, I take it that the product is not yet out on the commercial market. Is there some dowsides to this VUAA1? We all have in memory the glorious new product DDT that came aound WW2. Now it is banned from all use.

6:53 a.m. on June 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

OttoStover said:

Since noone answered, I take it that the product is not yet out on the commercial market. Is there some dowsides to this VUAA1? We all have in memory the glorious new product DDT that came aound WW2. Now it is banned from all use.

Otto ~~

Good question.

In our country (USA), the government must first test and approve a product to be SAFE for humans.

This process can be lengthy (years).

It is administered by the FDA (Food & Drug Administration).

~r2~

7:57 a.m. on June 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Wow, wouldn't that be awesome!  Thanks for sharing all that great info!

8:37 p.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
308 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

I'm going to give the dryer sheets a try. I just sprayed a set of my cloths with permethrin because on my last hike I pulled over 40 ticks off my outfit during a 3 hour hike. Hopefully I'm still somewhat on topic, but I had a question: Are there any health risks with permethrin? For example, if I'm sweating and the shirt I'm wearing contains permethrin, will the chemical than be absorbed into my skin?

1:52 a.m. on June 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Any one who might be thinking of using dryer sheets for bug protection might read the link below. Here's a bit I pulled out. There are many other articals that say the same thing. I will not use them in my house.

"When people use dryer sheets, they are coating their cloths with a thin film of artificial chemical perfumes. Just like other perfumes, a person’s sensitivity to these perfumes decreases over time to the point where they don’t even notice how potent these artificial fragrance chemicals are.

None of this would be interesting if it weren’t for the fact that these fragrance chemical are extremely toxic chemicals. They are known carcinogens. They cause liver damage and cancer in mammals."

http://www.naturalnews.com/002693.html

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/dinged-by-dryer-sheets.html

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply