About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Looking 2 person Tent around $200

9:08 p.m. on May 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Hey all...  I know their are a lot of good opinions out there on this subject.  I am looking for a 2 person tent for backpacking / Car camping for around $200.  I'm around six feet tall and looking for a roomy but light / ultra light tent.  I've just really starting looking and wanted to get some ideas from people who own and like what they have...  or don't..  Thanks...

11:10 p.m. on May 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

I have an Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3.  Easy setup. The 2 man should be just as easy. Nice and light and packs small.  Alps also has some other nice tents.  If you look on steep and cheap you can find the Zephyr 2 for only $79.99 normally $179.

zephyr-2.pngzephyr-2-fly.png

Zephyr 2

You can't see it in the photos but the fly has a vent on the back also.

11:49 p.m. on May 13, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The zephyr2 is on Amazon right now for $98/free ship. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MAOEB4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/186-4266237-3871648

I have a few tents. The Eureka Mountain Pass 2xte is a great tent. Around 7lbs and can handle snow. I did a review here. Might be a lil heavy for your taste. When getting into lighter weight tents the price usually goes up. I am not saying this is gonna be the case but its a common thing. What do you consider light? What type of conditions do you plan on using this tent?

Good place to start looking is the review section here. You can fine tune you search by price.

12:51 a.m. on May 14, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

have you looked at the Nemo brand? I just saw after reading your post a 2person UL 2 at your price range and I know a few members were saying great tent good price and weight...

3:42 a.m. on May 14, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

look for two doors and two vestibules

7:44 a.m. on May 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Has anyone one ever use The REI Half Dome 2 Plus?  Looks good from what I've seen online but never talked to anyone who ones it.  Zephyr's.   n

REI Half Dome 2 Plus Tent

What retail stores sell Alps Mountaineering?  I wouldn't mind looking at the Zephyr2

3:08 p.m. on May 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Dealers for Alps Mountaineering

REI used to sell a Zenith tent that was made by Alps which was the previous version of the Zephyr. 

11:19 a.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I have been doing some research on the same thing. I am thinking about getting the Kelty Gunnison 2.1 Tent. It's running around $150.00

I was seriously thinking of getting the Nemo Nemo Equipment Meta 2 but it's a bit pricy for me at $340.00

11:32 a.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

Check out the first tent ad here in trailspace's classifieds, not my ad but I just saw it after seeing your request...

Whistlestop says:

Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight tent

Lightly used,well taken care of.Includes the Sierra Designs footprint and 12 lightweight aluminum stakes. 85.00 plus shipping CONUS

ebay-may-14th-005.jpg
ebay-may-14th-008.jpg

I have used this tent before, its very lightweight and roomy.

12:19 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

@ DR Reaper I saw a Nemo espri 2ul for sale under 200 after this post.Thats why I brought that brand up...That was on BPL...

12:28 p.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
476 reviewer rep
283 forum posts

REI has the excellant Taj 3 on clearance right now.  It's a three-person tent and not what I'd call "ultralite", but it's a killer deal on a killer tent.

http://www.rei.com/product/767270/rei-taj-3-tent-09-special-buy

Jim

3:33 p.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I recently got the Kelty Salida2 with a fifty dollar rebate. I think the rebate might be over but it's still only $150 full price and it is an Editors Choice at BP Mag. I like the tent because even with the sleeping pad and generic footprint  and fly all rolled up in the bag it's only 5lb 15 oz. As set up in pic the fly is off for awesome view of the bugs on the outside. With the fly on there is no view but also stays completely dry in moderate to heavy rain.
Camp1.jpg

3:50 p.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

i use an rei camp dome 2 for non-winter camping.  weighs around 5 pounds, about 30 square feet inside, 2 doors, no vestibule.  but, it's cheap ($100), it's bombproof, it keeps 2 people dry & out of the wind, and it is super-easy to set up blind.

if i were looking to replace it today, i would either get the same model or look at the REI half dome 2 or the kelty salida 2, both of which are well within your price range.  the kelty has only 1 door, but i suspect it's easier to set up.  both tents have won awards from backpacker magazine, and both have decent vestibules, which is something that might be nice.  (currently, i put my backpack outside the tent wrapped in a waterproof backpack cover to keep it dry; i would put it and my gear under a vestibule if my tent had one, though it isn't a big deal). 

1:10 p.m. on May 19, 2011 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have The North Face Rock 32 and am very pleased with it's durability, ease of setup and spacious interior.  If you don't need the extra space and want a little cheaper/lighter you can go with the Rock 22 which is the same design.  It's not ultralightweight at around 6 lbs, but it's on par with most of the tents mentioned above.  Both the Rock 32 and Rock 22 have two doors and two vestibules, which is handy.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply