Can you identify this Kelty pack?

12:58 p.m. on May 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I found this pack in a second hand gear store (they also sell really great new stuff) and just had to have it. I liked that it is large and swallows a lot of gear. I liked it so much I traded my nearly new Trekker 65 straight up for it. There's even a removable fannypack on the front! However, I have been unable to identify it's model name or vintage. So if you know what it is I would be really happy to hear about it.
E-Bay-026.jpg
E-Bay-027.jpg
E-Bay-024.jpg

9:57 a.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Here's what I've discerned so far: The frame is a radial frame. I saw one picture of the frame design with the sort of a shelf at the bottom. Another picture of a Super Tioga was an almost match for the bag, except the color.

So I'm guessing it is a version of Super Tioga. And, please correct me if I'm wrong.

12:32 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

rocketmanw900 said:

Here's what I've discerned so far: The frame is a radial frame. I saw one picture of the frame design with the sort of a shelf at the bottom. Another picture of a Super Tioga was an almost match for the bag, except the color.

So I'm guessing it is a version of Super Tioga. And, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can't say, for sure.   I'm certainly no expert on Kelty backpacks.

Keep-in-mind, however; it is not uncommon for Kelty aficionados to 'mix-'n'-match packs and frames.   Very do-able.

r2

8:13 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,362 forum posts

Sherpa. I have one.

11:13 p.m. on May 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I thought it might be a Sherpa but I couldn't find any pictures of one to verify that. Also some of the descriptions didn't really match up. As has been observed before Kelty seems to have made several configurations of the same-named pack.  I'm gonna take your word for this one. I really like the pack and it fits me well. Even though the little tag inside says it's a s/m and I am most assuredly NOT a small or a medium guy.

So what would be the years they were produced I wonder?

8:26 a.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

Have you asked Kelty?

9:36 a.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I can't find a picture of the pack online, but I believe this is the Radial Light.  The Radial Sherpa had a full length packbag and the radial light had a 3/4 length packbag.  I had one of these back in the day.  I did find a mention in an old Backpacker's Gear Guide.  A spendy pack back in the day.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wuIDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA49&dq=kelty+radial+sherpa&hl=en&ei=AifRTaLOO8PkiAKghIyZBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CFoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=kelty%20radial%20sherpa&f=false

10:27 a.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I finally broke down and called Kelty. Sent them the pictures and waiting for a reply. The guy I reached seemed very helpful.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply