About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Survival Kit

8:12 a.m. on May 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Please list your ideas for a survival kit,

thanks,

Josh

12:01 p.m. on May 24, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Other than the clothes, hat sunglasses etc. that I am wearing when leaving from a base camp.  I would often have this in a fanny pack and or strapped to the bike if too big for the fanny pack and tank bag.

Knife,

Canteen,

Fire striker starter,

First aid kit,

Food bars x a few,

1Ltr of water in Back pack

Headlamp,

Cell phone,

Paper towels,

Compass,

Map,

Watch,

Gps,

Axe with saw,

Knife,

Multitool,

Rope x2,

Air Horn,

Bear Spray,

Emergency Heat Blanket/Bivy,

Locator Beacon,

Signalli Mirror,

Whistle.

4:49 p.m. on May 24, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
643 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

This is a bare-bones list of what I would always have with me no matter what.

• Knife
  • Para cord
  • Water Bottle 
  • Filter straw or a stainless bottle for boiling water
  • Firesteel + vaseline soaked Cotton
  • Poncho tarp and/or Bivy,
  • First aid kit
  • Emergency Blanket
  • Mealbars & 5hr energy shot(s)
  • Small reliable LED light
  • Signal Mirror
  • Compass & area map

I usually carry a well equiped daypack that covers all needs even more thoroughly. You may already have the knowledge and experience to make the following elementary, but I will mention it to cover all bases.  Look up the "Ten Essentials" and really understand the "What, Why, Where, and How" behind and for that list. Having the right items and not understanding them and their use will do you know good at all.

9:57 p.m. on May 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

My kit is basically the same as Gonzans with the addition of duct tape, and instead of the vaseline soaked cotton balls I carry fatwood.

1:25 a.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

My kit is basically the same as Gonzans with the addition of duct tape, and instead of the vaseline soaked cotton balls I carry fatwood.

I also carry fatwood, largely because I can gather it on my land.

Otherwise my summer kit is pretty much like those mentioned.

I also carry sunglasses. And bug and sun juice.

I dislike so-called survival bars -- they seem to grow in my mouth, so I use power bars or gorp.

6:20 a.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Gonzans list but instead of an emergency blanket I carry a 55 gallon trash bag. It is cheaper, holds up alot better, works better and has more uses.

12:22 p.m. on May 26, 2011 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

For survival I would want all the knowledge I can accumulate on wild edibles, shelter making, hunting, farming (long term survival), medical, animals, and the list goes on. In fact there are so many variables it's hard to find a place to start. I have been watching youtube videos on desert wild edibles and it's informative. You can join the pathfinder school and follow their course. I am considering taking their internet course. The thing about pathfinder is they make almost everything they need in the field. I really like that level of survivalist. 

11:55 a.m. on May 27, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
643 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Duct Tape!

*facepalm*

Good call, Rick. Don't know why I forgot that, as it is always in my kit as well, and gets used fairly frequently, too.  You can make a "flat roll" of five feet or so that will stow nicely.

3:54 a.m. on May 28, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I see the above covers just about everything. You must adapt your survival gear every time. If some survival gear is not relevant to your specific hike then take it out-adds more space and lessens weight. I keep my survival gear together large water proof bags and labeled as such. I keep it stuffed at the bottom of my bag. I joke with my friends that if I am going to the bottom of my bag then the &%!@ has hit the fan.

Two forms of fire starters-I use a lighter and water proof matches. Although in extreme cold the lighter will not work. There are plenty of alternatives on the market these days though. I also carry lint from my dryer-cheap and  always available. I can stuff quite a bit in a water proof match carry case. You can soak the lint in a flammable liquid. Fire is not only a source of heat, but also a great morale booster if you are in "survival mode".

Buy your survival gear separately, kits normally have lower end products to keep it cheap. I have heard about the Bear Grylls survival kit being a disaster. 

First aid kit that is considered a "weekender" for the amount of people in your hiking group. Probably cheaper to buy stuff in the first aid kit separately. I keep my first aid kit outside my backpack in a molle adaptable pouch with a cross on it. That way others know it is a first aid kit in case you are the one needing first aid. The kit always needs to be changed to fit the environment or circumstances that may occur on your specific trip. DrReaper is right on the knowledge part. Know what you are getting yourself into.

Derjoser is right: Sunscreen, hat, gloves-the sun is going to hurt you in cold and hot climates.

See if you will face mosquitoes, ticks, fleas etc...

Two blades in case one breaks-One should be strong enough for cutting into heavier wood or hammering on the handle.

I know that survival bars/nutrition bars taste horrible, but better then eating maggots and bugs. In survival mode when there is minimal water, remember that eating utilizes a lot of water. Stay away from salty foods too. You can survive a long time without food-but a few days without water. Drink a lot of water and eat minimally. Never drink your urine-like salt water, it will only dehydrate you more.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply