CRISPI boots... Anyone ever use them?

10:44 a.m. on May 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am considering snagging up a new winter boot and these caught my eye. They look solid but as with anything looks can be deceiving.

http://www.crispiusa.com/mens.html

http://www.crispiusa.com/granite-htg-abss-dtl.html

Anyone have any experience with this company? This is a company I haven't really heard anything about. I really like the Granite. It looks like it could be a very good winter hiker. A little pricey but if the quality is there I have no problem shelling it out.

2:50 p.m. on May 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Never heard of this company, either, Rick.

But, being Italian, I'd look into their products.   I'm a real 'fan' of Italian boots and shoes (I have a 'fetish' for Italian loafers; have waaaay too many pairs).

The Italian boots are usually very fine quality workmanship and materials. I have two pairs of Fabiano's ... one for mountaineering, and one for hiking / backpacking (even with heavy loads).  That pair was when Scarpa took over the Fabiano brand.  Both Full-Grain Leather (non  Gore-Tex)

I loathe Gore-Tex boots.   I do have a couple pair of the highly-rated ("Editor's Choice") "Cresta Hikers" with Gore-Tex ... but, they usually reside in my closet, even though they are Italian-made.  (I think those "editors" must smoke crack when they test stuff).

Yeah, Rick ... "a little pricey", as you mentioned.   But, if they work for you ... I'd say "Go for it" !!

~ r2 ~

3:13 p.m. on May 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The Super Granite has an "exractable steel crampon" built into the boot. Kinda interesting.

I totally agree with ya Robert with companies implementing a wp membrane in fgl boots. IMO its overkill. I typically opt for it in footwear that has either a completely synthetic upper or a combo of leather/synthetic mateials. But I have purchased a few fgl boots(Asolos) that are gtx models. They can be sweat boxes. I actually gave the Asolos to my cousin who loves them.

I don't really go with editors choice blah blah blah. I'd personally rather opt for reviews here. I am not saying that the editors choice recommendations are biased or what not but I do have my own personal preferences with gear as we all do from trial and error over the years. What worked for them may not necessarily work for me. But the articles in magazines do give me knowledge of the products existence and gets my curiousity kicked into over-drive at times.

I do like this boot but reviews are very limited to say the least. I am only looking at this boot for winter use so the membrane/fgl issue shouldn't be much of a problem unless they don't breathe at all.

6:21 p.m. on May 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Amen, 'Bro ....

I agree with you, Rick.   The membrane / FGL choice in these CRISPIs could be fine for Winter.  

I'm a 4-seasons hiker / camper, so I look very carefully to implement the best stuff I can afford for my Winter kit. When I'm out in near-zero degrees (F), I don't want to fool around.   "Been there" ... etc.

Like you, I pay a LOT of attention to what posters here have to say.   These folks are "real world players", of all ages,  and not a bunch of college interns.  Also, we don't get paid for what we choose and use, or get it free.   Our choices are based on VALUE and UTILITY.

The gear we choose MUST WORK.   If it doesn't ... we say so.

~ r2 ~

1:51 a.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

Remember Vasque Super Hiker IIs? Not an especially striking boot. Not a special boot in any regard...except that they were nicely made Italian boots WITHOUT Gore-Tex. I took options like that for granted. The Gore-Texless boot market is obviously too small to sustain offering those type options. A real bummer. I too believe it is unnecessary overkill. With the available leather technologies, I don't need Gore-Tex, but when I go boot shopping, I have little choice.

Does anyone have a handy list of boots made without Gore-Tex? I speak of boots presently in production. Full leather, Vibram (or proven proprietary equivalent), above the ankle boots.

9:50 a.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I agree with the anti gore-tex feelings on boots.Sad that makers do not give us the option of no GT.As for makers of boots I love the Scarpa and La Sportiva brands.I do have a european foot,parents immigrated from LATVIA,so  they fit very well.I too think the Italians build the best boots.Buyer beware because even they are starting to farm out to other countrys on some of their models to hold costs down.As for Crispi boots I have not had the pleasure of using them.If you purchase a pair please keep us posted on how they work out.

12:46 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

I also prefer boots without GTX,

When is the last time you saw a cow just spring a leak?

FGL with good construction and proper care is plenty waterproof IMO.

FGL's with good water proofing stops the water on the outside of the boot; where does GTX stop the water?

I'm not familiar with Crispi Boots Rick, I hope someone can help you out.

12:48 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Remember Vasque Super Hiker IIs? Not an especially striking boot. Not a special boot in any regard...except that they were nicely made Italian boots WITHOUT Gore-Tex. I took options like that for granted. The Gore-Texless boot market is obviously too small to sustain offering those type options. A real bummer. I too believe it is unnecessary overkill. With the available leather technologies, I don't need Gore-Tex, but when I go boot shopping, I have little choice.

Does anyone have a handy list of boots made without Gore-Tex? I speak of boots presently in production. Full leather, Vibram (or proven proprietary equivalent), above the ankle boots.

First 3 that come to mind are the Scarpa SL m3, Alicos, and Limmers. There are a few others out there. I'm. Sure someone else will probably chime in. Non gtx fgls vs gtx fgls have been a serious topic of discussion here at times. I don't see how you could go wrong on the 3 I mentioned IF THEY FIT. Also I suggest using something like Obenhaufs LP or Nikwax for easier break-in and leather care of these type of boots.

12:55 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I also prefer boots without GTX,

When is the last time you saw a cow just spring a leak?

FGL with good construction and proper care is plenty waterproof IMO.

FGL's with good water proofing stops the water on the outside of the boot; where does GTX stop the water?

I'm not familiar with Crispi Boots Rick, I hope someone can help you out.

Mike-Yeah I hope so too. Definitely look solid but you know how that can go. Shellin out $400+ on a hope can be a risky situation. But then again I may just go for it if noone has any info on them. If nothing else I will be able to review it and say hey its the greatest thing ever or buyer beware. :)

I actually woke up with an email from the CEO/President of CRISPI USA about a few inquiries I have about the boots. Gonna wait and start interrogating him after the holiday weekend.

12:58 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

Also I suggest using something like Obenhaufs LP or Nikwax for easier break-in and leather care of these type of boots.

I'll use Aquaseal, thank you. Been using it since the 80s. Love how my boots have aged. Stitching is all in top shape as well.

Those all look like nice boots, and I wasn't aware of Limmers. Nice to know that. Reminds me of the Carl Dyer moccasin situation. I appreciate knowing about footwear like this. However, I'm looking for a slightly robust boot. something that might be considered mid-weight.

1:08 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Aquaseal is good stuff. As long as its not a product like Mink Oil lol. Although it has its use(squeaky mink joints.) What's better as far as I can see is what tanning process was utilized, and of course if its a smooth leather etc.

1:37 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The Limmer Standards are a pretty beefy boot with pretty thick leather. There is also the mid-weights.

3.2mm leather on the standards 3.0mm on the mids

Zeno, what do you consider robust? Is there a boot model you can give just for a basic idea of what you are looking for in a boot? Robust can have different meanings to different people.

4:13 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

I'm not looking for a mountaineering or "heavyweight" backpacking boot. Vibram soles, but not steel or fiberglass shank. Something that has some give right out of the box and that doesn't require 100 miles to break in. The Vasque Super Hiker II I mentioned is a good example of something I would like to find. They were a pure backpacking boot with no intention of being a hybrid. You weren't going to lock on a crampon with those things, but you could carry a 70LB pack all day long with them.

4:55 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
5:13 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

Yeah, that looks like something I'd give a go. Thank you. I like that rubber skirting around the bottom of the leather upper. I'm sure there is a term for that, but I can't remember it. Might not be the greatest idea if it makes the boot a small cooker, but that is the area where I seem to abuse my boots.

6:11 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The rand will definitely help with the wear and tear from scree on the upper. I won't buy a boot unless at the least it has an extended toe rand. The Baffin is a pretty nice boot.

6:32 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

The rand will definitely help with the wear and tear from scree on the upper. I won't buy a boot unless at the least it has an extended toe rand. The Baffin is a pretty nice boot.

"Good News"-department ~~

You can get a rand put on any shoe or boot.

www.resoleamerica.com.

They're in Warrenton, VA.    Reasonable, too.  Fast turn-around.

~ r2 ~

7:23 p.m. on May 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good link. Thanks Robert.

12:43 a.m. on May 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

I have a pair of leather Crispi telemark boots that were bought just before everyone went totally to plastic with the heat moldable foam liners. I also have another pair of these still in the box that were bought for a then girlfriend if anyone is interested...size 36 or 37

Back on topic.....Very stiff and very well made boot. If I were looking to buy a hiking boot and saw a pair of Crispi's I'd consider them based on my experience with the tele ski boots...

8:27 p.m. on May 30, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks Mazama.

11:26 p.m. on May 30, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

For what it's worth, Crispi is one of the main brands in Norway, for both hiking boots and tele ski boots. I have a pair of pretty plain vanilla Crispi hiking boots, and they're fine -- a mostly one piece leather upper, speed lacers, fit is OK, no rubber rand or toe cap. Sort of standard issue Italian hiking boots, reasonably well made. I've probably put a few hundred miles on them.

8:19 a.m. on May 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
594 forum posts

Here is a list I made up a few years ago of FGL, leather-lined, single-piece uppers, stitched boots.

http://overmywaders.com/OLDSCHOOLBOOTS59.htm

8:30 a.m. on May 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
594 forum posts

Sorry, Gronell has changed their site. Use http://www.gronell.it/gb/tradition/tradition.html as a starting point instead.

1:07 p.m. on May 31, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Great document overmywaders!! Thank you! If my P-8s ever wear out, I've got a backup resource...

10:59 p.m. on May 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
594 forum posts

But they won't wear out.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply