JetBoil SOL stove

11:07 a.m. on June 2, 2011 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

I have never been much of a fan of the JetBoil stoves but recently decided to give the new SOL stove a try. I did a four day three night trip this past weekend. I boil water for two meals and four cups of tea per day. I weighed the new canister at 6.8 oz. when I left and to my surprise it weighed 5.0 oz. when I got home after the trip. Faster boils burned much less fuel than I ever expected. Just my experience but so far, I am very impressed. 

1:37 p.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Just got one myself and will be testing it tomorrow. I usually use the MSR Superfly and the GSI dualist. For two people I like that set up. However, I'm doing more single hiking, so, the Sol appears to fit the bill.

7:31 p.m. on June 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Just came across the JetBoil Sumo companion cup.  It holds 1.8 liters and will work with the PCS (original jetboil), GCS, Sol, Flash and Zip. You can also stow a 230 gram canister with some of the other burners or a 450 gram canister.

12:02 p.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I have the Jetboil PCS and absolutely love it. I've had it for about 5 years now. Recently I was thinking about getting a new stove (for the hell of it), but really can't find anything that would be as good/convenient as the Jetboil. I basically need to just boil water. It really has to be the fastest stove for that.

My only issue with Jetbol is their prices. The complete system is OK, but their accessories are ridiculous. They sell a little frying pan for like $50! Crazy. Even a replacement cup is over $30. And their french press coffee thing is terrible.

I like the Flash but won't get one until my PCS is done, which doesn't look to be happening anytime soon. The fuel regulator is nicer on the Flash, a long metal piece compared to the little plastic one that can be a pain on the PCS. OK, and I do like the look/colors of the Flash. The boil indicator on the cup is just novelty. If you can't tell by looking/hearing that the water is boiling then, well, you know....

4:30 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,995 forum posts

Rich M said:

I have never been much of a fan of the JetBoil stoves but recently decided to give the new SOL stove a try. I did a four day three night trip this past weekend. I boil water for two meals and four cups of tea per day. I weighed the new canister at 6.8 oz. when I left and to my surprise it weighed 5.0 oz. when I got home after the trip. Faster boils burned much less fuel than I ever expected. Just my experience but so far, I am very impressed. 

Thanks for sharing that. I hope you'll post a review of the Sol once you've had sufficient time to test it out: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/jetboil/sol-ti/

I'm sure it would be of interest to other members.

6:10 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Jetboil Coffee Press  320712906831  $15.00 buy it now

Jetboil and it associated pots/gear(s?) is only expensive if you choose to buy it new from the store.  There are also a bunch of good deals on ebay on the stoves themselves.  If you buy in the winter then they go down even further.

To get past all the retailers selling new items at local store prices go to the auctions only tab.

7:55 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Jetboil PCS $45 on clearance at Gander Mountain in the store, bought 2. I got mine in Nov-Dec 2010 (I think I remember it was cold for FL). Was in there a few weeks ago and they still had a few left. The PCS has been phased out as far as I can tell and replaced by the flash.

1:45 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I have the jetboil french coffee press and hate it, to many grinds. The GSI H2JO is a way better way to go. Anyone interested in the press? $10- shipped. Send me a message.

11:14 a.m. on June 16, 2011 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I brought one after strong consideration of the features.  Weight, size, fuel, temperature range, durability, altitude exposure and ease of use. I also considered the meals and nutrition I would require for extended backcountry  ventures. The Jetboil is a solid piece of gear that I highly recommend. The only draw back I saw at the time was that it was not a Titanium canister.  However, Jetboil just introduced a Titanium canister to the market. So it only gets better.    

1:30 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
308 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

I'm wondering if the Jetboil PCS kit will fit in the newer Titanium canister? My original PCS container has rust spots at the bottom that won't wash out. They are from leaving my fuel canister in there over a few months.. guess it wasn't completely dry.

1:33 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
308 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Bkuti said:

I have the Jetboil PCS and absolutely love it. I've had it for about 5 years now. Recently I was thinking about getting a new stove (for the hell of it), but really can't find anything that would be as good/convenient as the Jetboil. I basically need to just boil water. It really has to be the fastest stove for that.

I was looking at other options too. For one, the Snow Peak Gigapower plus the Snow Peak mini solo titanium cook set is cheaper and I believe lighter than Jetboil's titinuim kit.. I'll have to research that again after work to find out for sure.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply