Double Walled Tents-Fly Attached To Inner Tent

10:32 a.m. on June 6, 2011 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I am looking to purchase a 4 season/expedition or three season one to two person double walled tent.  I previously owned a Hilleberg Soulo, but unfortunaltely my gear was stolen. I need to replace the Hilleberg with a similiar model but at a lesser cost. The Hilleberg tents feature the inner tent attached to the fly making pitching fast and efficent. Does anyone know of a brand of tent similiar in construction with both tents walled attached for pitching ?

7:13 p.m. on June 6, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I think you have to look outside the US market to find one. Most makers here in the states are inner first. That said I picked up a older Texsport tent that pitches fly first.

100_0408.jpg

100_0449.jpg
I was tearing down the tent when I found out that I could pitch it fly first.

1:18 a.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I guess technically if I fastpitch my Copper Spur it would be fly 1st... wait on 2nd thought make that footprint 1st. Back to the drawing board...

6:37 a.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi there!

Here in Europe the kind of tent you're looking for is quite common, especially in Scandinavia where in my experience is the most common.

Hilleberg you already know, and at the same price level you could have a look at the Norwegian Helsport or the Swedish Fjellräven. Somewhat cheaper are Vaude (German), Terranova (UK) and Bergans (Norway). Another tad cheaper you find Ferrino (Italy). I don't know if any of this brands is available in the US.

Dropping the "expedition" strength requisite, you might want to consider hybrid single/double wall tents which have inner and flysheet pitched at he same time simply because they are sewn/welded at some points. Brands that come to my mind are GoLite and Nemo.

Hope this helps.

10:54 a.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

The comments from RaulB are much appreciated. I concur after much researching the market for double-walled attached inner to fly tents is with the European brands. Thanks for everyone's feedback on my info request.

3:59 p.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Hi AzureCaribe and welcome to Trailspace,  I'm so sorry you had the misfourtune of having you gear stolen.  Never a good thing.  I don't know how fast you are looking to buy a tent, but there have been a number of Hillebergs that have sold on Ebay for I would say 20-30% off of new prices.  Hilleburg is the one current tent maker that seems to hold a great deal of it's value when sold in used condition.  I would say that at this time it's a testement to the quality of the tent rather than just brand name hype.  There were two unused ones on Trailspace that just sold for about 30% +/-.  The only other tent that has a double attached wall  for single set up that I'm aware of is the Stephensons R series tents.  Stephensons is, I belive the last American tent maker (correct me if I'm wrong).  They are expensive (new) to be sure but they are quality tents that seem to be worth every penny to the people that have used them.   I just bought a 3R drop front from a memeber and have yet to set it up due to the nasty weather we have been experiancing here around Seattle(as well as having just to many darn tents to set up and check out).  I'm not really sure why, but  Stephenson's tents never come up when people talk about light weight tents.  The new 3R weighs in at only 3lbs 12 oz and has 52 sq ft interior, the 2R 2 lbs 12lbs. 12 ozs. at 42 sq ft interior space.  I just saw a well used Stephensons go one ebay for around the $220 range a month ago.  If your not in a hurry I would say wait and get another Hilley used.  Nothing like regret after an expencive gear purchase.  I belive that your tent along with boots and a backpack are the three most important pieces of gear to one in the back country (other may disagree).  Sorry about the font but I could not figure out how it change back once I hit the wrong key, though I guess a change up is nice once in a while ;-}>  Let us know what you decide when you get another tent.

5:20 a.m. on June 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

two other former us makers of tents that meet your requirements are early winters and cannondale. both of which no longer make tents. i have seen one cannondale tent on ebay in the last 6 months, if i remember correctly it went for under $40. there have been a fair ammount of early winters tents on ebay lately.

here is a link to old cannondale  cataloges

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/catalog.html 

eureka also made a tent on the old cannondale pattern called the tundraline. i believe it is also discontinued.

here are a couple of links to early winters

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Early-Winters-3.html

http://homepage.mac.com/inov8/Compass/earlywintersimages.html 

early winters made lightweight tents, cannondales were not that lightweight but were super strong and very warm. best of luck in your search.

9:20 p.m. on June 12, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Have a look at Exped.  Most of their 4 season tunnel models are outer pitch first and they cost much less than Hillebergs.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply