Favorite rain jacket/pants

10:46 p.m. on June 11, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

What is your favorite light weight rain gear? I'm looking to get something small and light weight for hiking that I can throw for a summer down pour and wanted to know what people here liked. 

12:35 a.m. on June 12, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

After trying Rab, then Integral Designs, I finally settled on Westcomb. Very well made. Had the features that I wanted too.

8:05 a.m. on June 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Charlie,

You retail this stuff.   Did you limit your quest to the brands you sell?

My personal  preferences and experience, having access to most popular branded gear, is Patagonia and L.L. Bean.    The most reasonably priced being that of L.L. Bean.   I flinch at high-prices, and Patagonia certainly falls in that category.   I find great buys on eBay. 

~r2~

8:39 a.m. on June 12, 2011 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I carry L.L.Bean Stowaway rain jacket and pants. I have used them for the last 12 years. It was a good price and with the Gortex they have always kept me dry. I tried the Marmot Preclip because I thought it would be worth shaving a few ounces but my first hike in the rain had me feeling clammy, even with the pits zipped open. The Stowaway, for my price range works very nicely.

10:38 a.m. on June 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hafford said:

I carry L.L.Bean Stowaway rain jacket and pants. I have used them for the last 12 years. It was a good price and with the Gortex they have always kept me dry. I tried the Marmot Preclip because I thought it would be worth shaving a few ounces but my first hike in the rain had me feeling clammy, even with the pits zipped open. The Stowaway, for my price range works very nicely.

Yes ... x2  on the  L.L. Bean Stowaway.   Does everything it is supposed to do, and at a very modest cost.   It's almost a "no-brainer" choice.

~r2~

1:14 p.m. on June 12, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Marmot Minimalist Paclight G/T jackit and precip full length side zip pants.28 oz total.There are lighter shells but with that come other trade offs.These work great for me in general use,backpacking/light climbing and spring skiing.Mid winter I use other gear if high in the alpine zone.

1:26 p.m. on June 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I live in Florida where I will use the jacket the most.  Summer time thunder storms that kind of stuff.  HOT, HUMID.  The pants will probably be used in cooler climes or spring/fall.

What is the advantage of the full length side zip?  I was looking at the precip pants and jacket and the pants come in both versions.

3:06 p.m. on June 12, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Ventilation!

Down there with the heat and humidity, particularly after an afternoon shower, you might be just as wet from the sweat while wearing a rain-jacket.  The more zips to atmosphere, the better breathability.  Good luck!

8:27 p.m. on June 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I abhor the heat and humidity.   Gore-Tex is like wearing Saran-Wrap.

In all honestly, I would go with a good umbrella.   There are even dedicated hiking umbrellas (GoLite, etc.), but not on-the-cheap.  Modest to expensive ($75 ... although I cannot recall the brand).

Still ... the way to go, in your area.

~r2~

1:46 a.m. on June 13, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I use a mountain hardwear cohesion kit. (Pants and jacket). They work well, have some strech to iit and are just enough of an in between form light and fragile to heavy and durable. The jacket is short in the torso but the pants are made to be worn high so it equals itself in the long run.

6:11 a.m. on June 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

This thread has made me remember something I had thought about in the past ...

If ... when using an umbrella (as I suggested) in wet conditions ...  in warm / hot climes ... might that work in conjunction with something like water-resistant chaps..   Does any outfit make these?

"Chaps" would be handy and convenient to use.   One leg at a time donning.   Like putting on tall  gaiters ... only one would need to be wearing a belt with the trousers to secure the upper-section.

Examples of very heavy-duty chaps can be found in gear for protection when using chain-saws.   They are fabricated of Cordura and Kevlar.   Very heavy.  Chaps as I am envisioning could be made of light, water-resistant pack-cloth, for example.   Easy to fold and stow ... compact and light.

~r2~

9:38 a.m. on June 13, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Charlie,

You retail this stuff.   Did you limit your quest to the brands you sell?

No.

I am more of a USER and a TESTER than I am a retailer, as I only retailer about 10 hrs a week at the most, as I have other business interests for income.

Going to the OR Show also allows me to see lots of brands that are available on the market.

Since the OP asked for favorites, that is why I mentioned Westcomb.  They are made in Canada, well sewn, and the fabric on the LT Cruiser is robust and breathable, plus it is an EVENT jacket that also has pit zips and a helmet compatible hood. For where I hike...in the Wind River Range, mostly off trail, this jacket holds up under those rugged conditions.

FYI,  I will no longer be mentioning my company name on this site as I don't want posters to think that I post merely to attract revenue.

12:37 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

Vigilguy,

Alicia can elaborate further, but the general policy of Trailspace is that any affiliation with a manufacturer or dealer should be disclosed, particularly in discussions of gear. This includes employment in the industry.

3:02 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Oh good grief... 

I didn't specify any parameters except "what is you favorite" until later in the thread. I probably should have been more specific like, "What is your favorite, compressible, unlined rain jacket/pants," but I wasn't. I was asking for opinions. I expected to get several from different people. 

If I had asked vigilguy and nobody else then it would be nice to know if he had some vested interest.  In this case, if he did limit himself to the brands he sold it doesn't matter to me.  As a matter of fact I would expect him to. If he's like me (I build and sell computers) he sells his favorite brands because he thinks they are good products and will make his customers happy.  Also he is probably far more familiar with what he sells than anything else and constantly looking for a better/equal product at a cheaper price. He didn't offer to sell me one. I didn't know he sold gear until Robert mentioned it. If he was trying to sell me something he was doing the world's worst job of selling I've ever seen. Ease off.

And yes I looked at some of his other posts. When he was recommending a specific brand to somebody and he might be able to make a sale he disclosed that he sold them and then gave them a sales pitch.

3:32 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

I have deleted all of the personal remarks above in this thread, so it's back to the original poster's content. If you have some info for him, please share that only.

Here's some advice for everyone: if you have a personal issue with any other poster, ignore them, do not inject any personal remarks, and move on to another post or thread.

If someone is breaking community rules and/or being truly disruptive, please let me know, but otherwise, let it go and don't stir the pot.

Read and abide by all community rules and guidelines, even if it means you need to hold your tongue (or keyboard) at times.

Bill mentioned divulging industry relationships. That's #13:

Disclose industry relationships.
If you have any personal, professional, or commercial affiliation or relationship with an outdoor company, its products, or its competitors, you must fully disclose that relationship in your member profile and in any relevant posts or reviews.If you write a review or post something in relevant posts.

The simplest thing to do is include something in your profile, and if you're posting about a brand you work with or its competitors, mention that in a post or at least once in the thread or review. (ex. I carry this brand in my store and.....) It needn't be long and involved, just a brief mention suffices.

Thanks all.

Now, please return to the original question about favorite rain jackets...

3:32 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Bill- you are correct, I am at fault for not disclosing my affiliation with certain manufacturers. I sincerely appreciate the reminder and do apologize.

Ocalacomputerguy- thanks for the kinds words. Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help. I am kind of a gear addict and love to try out different brands. I will never steer you in my direction for purchasing. In fact, if I find a good deal elsewhere, I am happy to inform you of it.

I do not post much because I spend a lot of time outside. I figure I can spend more time surfing the forums when I am too old to hike anymore.

Cheers

3:33 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I have a North Face Mountain Lite (i think?) jacket that I like so far. I am no fan of the North Face brand in general, as they are so consumer focused with much of their products, but this jacket is great.

3:48 p.m. on June 14, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

vigilguy said:

Bill- you are correct, I am at fault for not disclosing my affiliation with certain manufacturers. I sincerely appreciate the reminder and do apologize.

No worries. You clearly weren't trying to hide your affiliation either (trust me, I see those types of posts).

We're happy to have industry folks share their opinions and experience on the site with fellow members, as long as we know who's who. Folks with an industry background can be a very valuable resource.

Thanks!

3:55 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,291 forum posts

Marmot exum jacket and wild things alpinist jacket are both pretty lightweight and high quality. One Gtx pro shell, other eVent. There are a lot of very good options from other brands too.

Trailspace looks fab on an iPad, btw. Our newest 'gear'.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply