Asolo VS Salomon, Vibram VS Contragrip

8:21 p.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
84 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

I was looking through boots on ebay today and I found two pairs I'm contemplating purchasing. They are both being sold in "excellent pre-owned condition." Other than a scuff or two neither look like they've been worn. The Asolo's are only $35 plus shipping and the Salomon's are $30 plus shipping.

The Asolo boots have Vibram soles, Goretex and mostly leather with a little mesh on the side. The Salomon's are all leather and have the Contragrip sole. The seller's don't know the model of either and I've looked all over and can't figure it out. I'm just wondering if one brand is usually more comfortable and better quality than the other. I've also never had boots with the Contragrip before, just the Vibram. The Salomon's aren't waterproof with Goretex like the Asolo's, but if I were to buy them I'd use the Nikwax Leather Waterproofing Cream. I've also never owned a pair of either brand. Both are roughly 3 lbs as a pair, so I guess they're considered light hikers. They're both also mid height, just over the ankle.

I usually wear my leather Danner's  in the summer/fall and a pair of Merrell's in winter/early spring. I have somewhat narrow feet, average arch, minimal pronation, and next to never have a problem with getting blisters. 

Anyway I thought the price was decent and I'd pick up a pair and give them a try. Any input appreciated.

5:45 p.m. on June 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Capow, any chance ya could shoot a link on here so I as well as others could take a look at the boots? Kinda hard not knowing what one is looking at. Thanks.

8:49 p.m. on June 21, 2011 (EDT)
84 reviewer rep
66 forum posts
10:06 p.m. on June 21, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Finding a good boot THAT FITS YOU is like finding a mate - what's good for me may not work for you.  Asolos are great for me, I've owned several.  But just like selecting a mate, you should try them out before you commit for keeps.

Ed

10:15 p.m. on June 21, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

They both look like a good deal. I love Saloman as a brand (I have 2 jackets and their winter boots) and love all three. From my experience they are highly reliable well made pieces. I don't own anything Asolo so can't help you there at all although I'm sure some will chime in.

10:45 p.m. on June 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Both boots from the pics appear to be nubuck. So my concern with that is nubuck boots that I have owned never show wear but at the same time suck water up like a sponge. I didn't see any reference to the Salomons having a membrane. Might be a prob unless ya treat the nubuck.

With the Asolos ya get the gore liner and being that they are not full leather they should breathe.

As far as soles go I am a big fan of Vibram. I have not as of yet had a prob with lugs tearing, etc.

With the Salomon it appears that you would get slightly better scree protection. Not much but it just appears that way from what I can see. From experience Asolos run on a narrow last so ya may want to take that into consideration as well.

Asolo makes pretty good boot imho for the person that can fit them in the same right Salomon is no slouch either. I would mainly be concerned with fit. For the price if they don't work out it isn't a real serious hit in the pocket.

9:46 a.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
84 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

Thanks Ed. I already have three pairs of boots that I love, I just thought I would snatch up a pair of these for the price and give them a try. Since they're only $40 it won't hurt me too bad if I don't like them and I can probably find them a new home.

Rick, I'm thinking the Asolo's sound the way to go. They have the Goretex, will breath better, and I do have somewhat narrow feet, so I don't think the fit will be a problem. I will probably treat them with Nixwax Nubuck, and as you mentioned also, I love the Vibram soles on my other boots. 

Thanks for your input everyone.

3:51 p.m. on June 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Have you looked for Lowa?

I'm a huge fan of them- my oldest boots (5+ years, tons of miles, desert, jungle, mountain, etc. ) are Lowas.

Buying them used may be a good strategy since they are spendy when new but they last so well used may actually make sense provided you can moderate the fit concerns.

FWIW they seem to run fairly true to size- I wear the same size 9.5 I'd wer in anything.

7:43 p.m. on June 23, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well if you are gonna look at Lowas ya may as well look at Scarpa as well. :)

9:48 a.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
84 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

I talked myself out of buying them. Ha-ha. I have looked at Lowa a time or two, I've heard they're very nice. I will look into Scarpa as well. One of these days something good will pop up for a steal. I'm going to make myself stay under $45 since I won't be trying them on. I love ebay, I find all kinds of goodies on there.

11:18 a.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Capow, maybe go to a shop and try a few models on to see what you feet like then watch Ebay and what not for them to pop up at a decent savings.

10:06 a.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
84 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

That's a good idea too. I've tried on a few pairs that I really like, but haven't seen any on there yet.

3:12 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

If ya want to expand your options go find a boot that fits and make a note of it. When ya get home do a search for the company, find the contact link, and shoot them an email inquiring to what other models are built on the same last as the model that fit ya. The company reps can be very helpful in this regard. It may expand your options substantially.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply