About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

crestridge internal frame pack?

10:00 a.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Ive always been an external frame fan, i guess because i like the old school type gear......but ive decided to make the switch over to internal frame, just because of the type terrain ive been getting into....i havnt purchased one yet, but im looking around......i found a "crestridge, 6000 cubic inch internal frame pack in a catalog i just got, on sale for about $50.00......im kind of dubious though, just from the fact that you  "get what you pay for"....and, i really havnt been able to find any reviews so to speak....anybody have any info on this pack at all? Im 6,2", 214 lbs, and looking for a good three to five day pack.....id also like to try and keep it $100.00 or under though

11:05 a.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

6,000cu.in. seems like overkill for a 3-5 day jaunt.I've never had a problem fitting 5 days worth of gear and food(with bear canister) in a 4,000cu.in pack.I suspect this Crestridge is probably is unnecessarily heavy just from its sheer size.I personally would never purchase a pack I did'nt try on first.At 6'4" 225.I find that even the high-end packs fit me differently.My pack of choice is the Osprey Aether 70 just because after trying on many brands and models,the suspension fit better than any other.Internal frame packs have so many more fine tuning adjustments for fit than externals

Try a few on at your local outfitter.The more expensive packs you can find used on GearTrade.com   Craigslist, EBAY, for a fraction of what they cost new.Some mid-range brands like Kelty,Lowe,Alps,etc. you can probably buy new for less than 100.00.Good Luck.

2:49 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

I can't seem to find the Crestridge website. Like whistlestop said 6000 is huge. You could probably put enough for 2 people in that for a 3-5 day jaunt and the other person would only have to carry their pad and bag.

Remember you don't have to buy a pack big enough to hold everything on the inside. A lot of people tie their tent or sleeping pad on just like you do on an external frame. If that makes your profile to wide (I assume you are wanting a more slender profile) a lot of internal frame packs have a long series of loops down the center (i forget what they're called) that you can use to tie tents or pads on vertically.

Take a look at Alps Mountaineering. I have a tent (Zephyr 3), 2 packs (Cascade 4200 & 5200), 2 pads (light weight, long). Good quality stuff. The man who started and owns it formerly ran Kelty.

You can find their equipment on steepandcheap.com at really good discounts (got my pads for 29 apiece after shipping).  If you don't want to wait for it to roll across steep and cheap try departmentofgoods.com also has their stuff where I got my Cascade 4200 for $59 (both the websites are run by backcountry.com)

If you have any boy scouts in the family Alps sells directly to them through scoutdirect.com at a 40% discount.

Also check on geartrade.com for Alps and other great brands. Backcounty.com sells their returns on that site. 

5:15 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Unless you are including a full dutch oven set-up with your kit 6000ci is definitely over-kill for the amount of days you stated above. You could always go wit this :)

http://youtu.be/LlLNEzgXu0E

5:29 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

As a suggestion, go to an REI or any other shop for that matter that sells packs and try a bunch on with weight in it. See what works for ya and then keep an eye out on the classified section here, craigslist, or even ebay for that matter and get something used.

Typically you can get a pretty decent pack at a very good price. I think think that this would be your best option for what ya wanna spend. Alot of times people snag up packs that are hardly used. 

I as well use Osprey packs. I have 2 of them. Awesome if they fit.

12:34 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

LOL I want an Archwood Flextrek 37,000,000,000 if for no other reason than to see the looks on people's faces as I walk by humiliating the environment.  What a riot. I wonder if it has a pocket for Wenger's Giant knife because this the pack for people who carry that knife.

1:33 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Heck, You already have the pack.  Try it out, see if you can get it fitted and load that thing up.  If you really want to test it go buy a cornie keg of beer (7 gallons) and you'll need a small C02 tank and take it for a ride (don't forget the tap).   Reviews may not matter when you could be the first to write one.  A 6000 cu inch pack is not necessarly a bad thing if you have older equiptment that is bulky and or have a friend who is packing with you but can't carry as much as you esp. if you have big equiptment, larger tent, big sleeping bag, etc.  Some times it's nice to have extra room, though it does always seem to get filled no matter how much room you have.  Sometimes it's nice just to suff your things in the pack and  go rather than comressing everything and folding everyhing just right.  I would throw in some weight and see if it fits and least see if you can use it till you find the perfect pack.  Be for-warned, many who have come before you have still not found the "perfect"pack.  Maybe see if you can make it work till winter.  Then if you find that you want another pack, you could try other packs out before you buy again. I find that the best deals on backpacking gear can be made in the middle of winter on craigslist. 

Also see the topic Booze gear in this section.  A pack of this size allows you to take what ever you want for a 3-5 day trip and negate's the entire Booze gear  topic ;-}>.

8:53 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,047 forum posts

T trekker I am with whistlestop on this. Go to an outfitter and see what fits and make a plan of what you want to do with the pack long term. Then look on Craigslist and not for laughs Academy in Texas  carries name brands just made for their store and cheaper. I use to live in Texas and have had my kelty now for over 10 yrs. But I also have a ula pack. That kelty cost less made for them and is the same at any other high end outfitter. Just a little different. It was about a Bill. 5000 cu. thats my 2 cents..

6:50 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Thanks everyone. Im in IN for the summer, so i checked out Rusted Moon Outfitters in Indianapolis....ended up with a teton sports explorer 4000 which i promtly tried out Saturday afternoon through today....really happy with it! as soon as i can get enough time, I'll venture out for about a week, and Im pretty positive 4000 CI is plenty of bag!

4:11 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good deal. As long as you are happy with it. That's all that really matters in the end.

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply