Booze gear.

1:00 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I know some people like to bring some sort of booze while backpacking. Whiskey seems to be a favorite. When I do want to bring something, it's been wine lately. A bottle and a half (approx.) fits well into a 1 quart narrow mouth Nalgene bottle nicely. I don't open the wine bottle and pour into the Nalgene until I'm right about to hit the trail. I purchased a GSI stainless steel wine tumble that is just wonderful. Theres no stem and the bottom is shapped to help prevent spills....and it has come in handy on many occasions.

I used to bring beer, a six pack of PBR tall boy cans or a few 24oz cans. I found it to be to heavy to carry in (nothing much carrying out) and a pain to keep cold in the summer, when I wanted it most.

What do you like to bring, if anything? How do you carry /store it? Any suggestions on keeping beer or other drinks cold?

5:42 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I like Wild Turkey for packing. BIG BANG for the size/wieght ratio, a little goes along way! Keep it in a small plastic flask I picked up for $2

I dont bother trying to carry beer in the summer, cant keep it cold enuff for my like'n. But to keep water or gatorade cold I freeze the bottle of gatorade and place it against my water bladder to keep it cool, then when i want some gatorade, drink whats melted off. Keep topping it with more water to keep enjoying cold drinks. (for a little while) 

6:20 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Personally I like to bring Beer (Barleywine, stouts and porters).  My next would be a good red wine.  Tequila, well enuogh said.  To keep beer cold I usually leave it in a river or lake if that is avaliable to me.  If not, by leaving it out at night it still gets cold enough for the temps. of the beers I drink.  Nothing like good coffee in the morning followed by a good beer to start the day.  I will not drink alcohol out of any kind of plastic container as I can taste the plastic since alcohol is a solvent.  Since all the alcohol I buy come in it's own handy self contained containers I simple pack them in with me  and crush the container into smaller dimentions when I'm done and carry out the container. It seems really silly to me to buy a "nice" container to dump something out of a container so that I could then dump it into a container, what..........., did I just say that?  Also when I'm in area with no water I have been know to dig hole as quite often the gound temp is much lower than the air temp.  You can then use this hole as you latrine later on when and if you need a second one.  Even if you find a muddy patch that you can't get water out of you can dig a hole in the mud... line it with rocks so it fills up with muddy water will be much cooler than the air temp and put you "hooch" in there for cooling.

7:13 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

It all depends on what I am doing. If it is an area that I hike to and set camp for the weekend(fishing, etc.) I will kick a few back. If I am doing any distances with alot of relocating then alcohol isn't an option for me. It increases the rate of dehydration so I personally do not even consider it.

7:59 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Beach and car camping it is beer. Apeman, you can crush the container? Stouts and porters, and barleywines? I have no foldable growlers. Nor have I found away to fold glass. Please teach me!

For longer trips its wiskey. But thats only for a bad tooth. LOL But dehydration can be a problem. One pint for 3 days MAX!

8:45 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Hey Mike,  We'll to answer your question it is actulally easy to fold glass.  I live and have always lived in part's of the country where were still allowed to have a fire.  Just last week we went out for a few night in the Oly National Forest and built a fire.  When the coals get white hot place the bottle in the coals and the bottles melt flat.  In the morning when the fire is out take a stick and pull the flat melted glass out.   When a fire is not an option  I take pillow case and a tough material bag.  Place said glass container in pillow case and then in a tough bag, then close/tied bag(s).  Say abra, kadabra as your  smashing a rock on the bag.  Look, its majic,  The glass takes up far less volume.  If you don't want to carry out broken glass because of its cutting ability (I have never had a problem with cutting any gear) you can take ez-lock bottles like used with Grolsch beer and just bring the bottles back to be used agian at another time.  I have a couple of growlers with the lock top style cap.  What I usually find is that my first day/night out is the heavyist with the max amount of volume.  As you eat your way thru your pack you have less volume and can carry your glass back since you got it tere in the first place.  Also the lock top's can then be used also to carry water.  I'm just not a big fan of palstic as all plastic offgasses (some less than others, but it all off gases) and I'd rather use glass anyway regardless of the weight.  So, drink beer to be able to handle the weight of the pack and then replace with water.  Either way I'll sick with glass.

11:22 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

What about Everclear.  I'll probaby get some flack for suggesting it but hear me out.  A single 8 ounce flask could cover a group of two for many days and it is strong enough to double as a firestarter, fuel for an alcohol stove or an anaceptic.

No one in the right mind would drink it straight, but an ounce mixed in a 32 ounce nalgene bottle and one packet of gatorade or propel is pretty decent.

Just remember when mixing it that a little bit goes a lot further than you think.

11:42 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I have two cases of everclear.  Can't buy it in this state (WA), so we go to OR to get it.   It tastes like refined petrol.  I would bring it to along to sterilize a wound, light a fire, use in my camp stove, but not to drink. I would however let you drink it ;-}>.   I wouldn't pour any straight into a nalgene bottle without mixing it first as it's pretty strong stuff and I would guess that it would eat at the plastic.  As it's fuel that one can drink,  I'd bring it in it's glass container or a metal fuel bottle.  It can be used in place of gas when when making a gel firestarter (gas and vaseline), and actually makes the firestarter eaiser to handle as it's not as prone to flashing.   I use it at home to make tincture, soaking plant material and using the extract and to keep cool bugs for an entomoloigst friend of mine.

9:14 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

A bit of JD in flask is all I need.

9:27 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Well dont drink anymore.But when I did it was beer and Tequila and whiskey at Football games. Easy to get " good Tequlia" in Texas. Pure 100% agave necture. We made marg's on the river and after hiking dureing the day.. Then I switched to good whiskey also Makers mark and Crown.

9:43 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Jack Daniels in an 8oz stainless flask I got at walmart or a 1/2 liter aluminum Nalgene style bottle. I bring the powdered drink mixes in a tube to mix with or just chase it with water. I only drink after my evening meal right before sleep and never enough to worry about dehydration. I will drink that much at home, not in the backcountry.

2:34 p.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Explorer Robby said:

Jack Daniels in an 8oz stainless flask I got at walmart or a 1/2 liter aluminum Nalgene style bottle. I bring the powdered drink mixes in a tube to mix with or just chase it with water. I only drink after my evening meal right before sleep and never enough to worry about dehydration. I will drink that much at home, not in the backcountry.

Even when you are asleep your body is processing the alcohol. At the same time alcohol can still drop your core temp which can be a bad thing depending on the night time temps you are subjecting yourself too. Just wanted to throw that out there.

11:56 a.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

All true Rick, the the thing is the amount. I single shot of whiskey is not going to be detrimental. Drinking in excess in the backcountry is not intelligent even if you have perfect temps and a lake full of water.

2:04 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I actually grew up on(around) shine. Definitely wouldn't recommend that as a drink of choice in the backcountry. I use it to soak maraschino cherries for a New Years treat.

10:43 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

A buddy of mine regularly brings shine on our trips. I have been known to take wee nip of it with my hot chocolate at night. ;)

8:31 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Wow, a thread specifically about alcohol I I haven't posted on yet?  Me be-leaves this was 'cuz Izzze was celebriating a bit or two much thiz pasts hollowed day.

Nor-normally I jus offer unsolyisitited advice on boooooze,  whenevery chance Izzze gets; bu-bu-bu-(belch)-but if you mus asssssk, I can't do that, now can I?  Soze lets me try prooffering sum solizited advisze.

For thozse of who you think boooze is two heavily, consider a cup of whizkey has almost 850 cowlarrys.  Boooze, it should've beee a foooood group!  Ba jest like others newtritions ya don' swill down on junk; buy only the q-allity stuff, n ya won't be so hanged overted the next day.  Personbabaly Izes don' envibe b'fore dinner nannymore, due to a b-ba-ba-bad xpertience when my breath went up in fireballs as well as singing my eybrowls whilst lightning my s-stovvve (blartch!).

All sew, ya wanna practize saaafe sippin'; thar ain't noz way too-b practice-sin good skippermanship pioletting yer boat lez you are totaledly stober.  Reight?  If nothin' else it reduce-ez your manure-abilty to avoid sh-sh-sh-crap!

As fer sippin inda cold, I adviezz don't do that neither!  Did that once, but fell hardily n bumpped my head when my lawn chair settled intwo da snow, unbeingknownst ta me, and tilted me over head and heels!  But da bestest advize I kin speak to you is make sure yer camping pardineers are hard of hearin'and have lowzey memories, cause you don'wanna be catching it for things your pie hole saezz when yer brain izz pickling.

P.S. Among my regular backcountry partners are Johnny Black, Crown Royal, Pinch, Courvoisier VSOP, and I especially appreciate anything someone else took the effort to pack in.

Cheer!

Ed

1:58 a.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

That was great Ed. I actually surprised myself reading it as fast as I did.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply