Software for editing videos from this years big trip

11:11 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

Every year a group of 4-6 friends and I do a 2 week trip to Alaska. It involves mostly backpacking, with lots of fishing glacier hiking and usually some peak bagging.

We usually end up with 300 or so still photos and a couple of hours of video footage for each of us.

This year I thought it would be cool to take some of the best video footage and still photos and make a ½ hour or so video, burn it to a DVD and make copies of it for the rest of the group afterwards.

Anyone know of any good video editing software that would allow me to take clips from different movies and still photos and put something together that would help us remember the trip. It would be kind of cool if I could add music to some parts while preserving the natural sounds in others.

I would prefer to spend $100 max.

1:03 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

What operating system are you using XP, VISTA or 7? I'm assuming you are PC.

1:52 p.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

Pc windows 7

2:33 p.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

Windows Live Movie Maker is free from Microsoft. I don't do video editing and I understand it doesn't do "voice over" but it is free. I have played with it a little and it seems easy. Try it out. If you need something more heavy duty then try CyberLink PowerDirector 9. The link is to a review by PC Mag I've found them to be very reliable.

9:12 p.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I've been using Pinnacle Studio for years.  Very easy and does a great job.

7:12 p.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

Thanks, I downloaded windows live first and see if it does the job.  If not, i'll try the other ones. 

12:01 a.m. on July 9, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Granted there are other cheaper solutions out there, but IMO Adobe is the king of media tools.  If you are considering merging still and moving images, overdubbing, and perhaps publishing in several formats, they are sure to have something that floats your boat. 

Ed

10:40 a.m. on July 10, 2011 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Well Final Cut Pro from Apple is the king of video editing. But It's expensive and I heard that they left out a lot of basic features that the fanboys are raising hell about (Apple is supposedly going to issue a patch that will remedy this) in the latest release.

Plus obviously you need a Mac for it to work. Go to www.download.com, there are tons of free video editing software to try out. Some good for basic editing others very robust and very technical. Some are free others give you a 30 trial.

10:44 a.m. on July 10, 2011 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Granted there are other cheaper solutions out there, but IMO Adobe is the king of media tools.  If you are considering merging still and moving images, overdubbing, and perhaps publishing in several formats, they are sure to have something that floats your boat. 

Ed

Adobe is good but at 800-900 a pop it's not really worth unless you're going to be using constantly or a professional video editor.

5:33 a.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

buffdaddy said:

Adobe is good but at 800-900 a pop it's not really worth unless you're going to be using constantly or a professional video editor.

Actually Adobe has a range of suitable products starting in the $150 range, with many of the products at under $400 - about as much as a good resolution digital camera.

Ed

12:24 p.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

Wisam - If you want try www.photoshow.com this is what a friend who is a professional social media consultant recommends or www.slideroll.com I am actually going to use photoshow when I am done with my whole trip sao I can add bubbles and music for my trip report. With their help granted...LOL Thought this might help you. also you can post it to facebook.or any site..

12:30 a.m. on July 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

Thanks for all the help.  I downloaded windows live for now and have been playing around with it.  I figure I can figure out what features are really important to me and then decide whether to upgrade in thte future. 

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply