REI Dome T2,SeedhouseSL1 or MSR Hubba Hubba

3:38 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Looking for tent that is durable,waterproof,and in the 22 to 29 sq. feet area. Which is the best quality tent of the three?

5:34 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I meant Seedhouse SL2

6:14 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

All are good brand name tents.  The MSR Hubba Hubba is the only one that lists fabric weight on its website, 40D x 238T body and fly 20D for the mesh. the D number refers to thread size, the T number is threads per inch.  All of them list the floor and fly as nylon.  Since the fly is nylon it will have a tendency to sag when it gets very wet.  Polyester is more resistant to this. You can find a thread around here about that.

If durability is your main concern my sincere recommendation is to look at the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr line. They have thicker fabric (75D x 185T Floor/Fly 40D mesh), the fly is polyester and they use #8 zippers. 

If weight is your main factor I would go with the Big Agnes. The SL2 still weighs less than the rest and has 28 sq ft. Rick-Pittsburgh has a Seed House 1 or 2. He'll probably chime in before I finish writing this.

If you are wanting the room I recommend taking a look at the Zephyr 2. Only 4 more ounces than the Hubba Hubba or the REI has better fabric and zippers,  costs less and a couple more square feet. Alps mission statement is "More for Less."

6:37 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I actually have the BA Copper Spur UL1. Gosh darn it, I almost beat ya to it ocala:)

6:45 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I know I corrected to the seedhouseSL2

6:54 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

First off I would not go with the Seedhouse for a few reasons.

There is only on entrance. Being it has a slope to it this can pose a few problems.

1- The gradual slope of the front entrance is gonna eat up a bit of usable entrance space due to the angle.

2- There is only one vestibule, if you take the amount of space 2 peoples gear will take up this may pose a problem(bring garbage bags.)

3- During entry in heavy rain you may get the inside of the tent wet being that when you unzip the fly you will expose a bit of your tent inner to the elemnts.

Are you referring to the T2 or T2 Plus?

The Hubba Hubba is a nice tent.

It has a ridge pole wich is nice. I personally like these kinds of tents due to the fact that they create near verticle walls. It also maximizes your usable vestibule space. Plus it creates a slight over hang to where your fly extends out a bit and increases dry entry when entering and exiting the tent.

Not to mention dual entry/dual vestibules.

7:16 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

The REI T2 and I found out the floor and fly are 30 denier and the canopy is 40 denier. Floor is poyurethane coating

10:31 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Sorry Rick, I knew it was a light weight Big Agnes but I didn't have time to look it up and still get the first word.

Cross bars in a dome tent are nice.  I haven't decided which style I would like.
chaos-2.png  vertex-2.png

I think the one on the left makes a more vertical wall but one on the right may provide better room.

If you like the shape of the Hubba Hubba the one on the left is Alps' Chaos but the 2 person does go over 5lb.

11:15 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Agree with Rick.  The SL2 is really a 1+ person tent.  Although the footprint is an okay size, only one person can sit up at a time.  The key is volume - the SL2 has much less than the other two you mention.

Given the quality, dual vestibules, dual entry, and proven track record, the Hubba Hubba would be first on my list.

11:26 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I too would go with the MSR Hubba Hubba.I have slept in the other two you are looking at and much prefer the roomy MSR.It is harder to find a deal on the MSR but in the long run I think you will be much happier with it over the others for the same reasons already mentioned.

12:38 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Sorry some prior obligations ripped me away from the keyboard(which is a tough task that involves crowbars and torches.)

For what it is, I would go with the MSR w/o a second thought. Its a great tent.

Those that I know that own them have had great results with them. I really can't find much fault in them. I was not into the previously released color(the emergency evac orangish-yellow) but they now make it in a more "scenery friendly" green. I like to blend in and not stick out like a sore thumb unless it is in more hostile conditions where sticking out can save your tail. Thats just my preference. It was the reason why I didn't buy this model a few years back.

But it is a really nice tent. You can also set it in the fast-fly configuration(fly/footprint only.) The footprint on MSR's site states that it is sold seperately but there are deals out there that include a free footprint with the tent. Just look around. I know when I purchased my lil Spur my footprint was included although BA said it was sold seperately so just look around you may be surprised at what you find. :)

From experience with many designs I like the modified A frames just because of the usable space that you get from the design that implements the ridgepole(near verticle side walls which maximizes usable interior/vestibule space plus no wet inner when going in and out in the rain.)

I really don't think you would go wrong with this model like I said but once again that is just my opinion. Happy hiking.

***On a side note MSR's customer service dept. has been very helpful with any inquiries/issues that I have had in the past. That goes a long way with me personally.***

7:51 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Depends on what is the mst important to you- weight, space, price, durability, is it for solo excursions, double occupancy? (the generally accepted rule is a 2 person tent is one plus gear, and so on). I think all 3 have pro's and cons. I would put up what is of the most importanceto you and then people can help steer you in the right direction, and possibly give you more options just to make the decision tougher! I went through the same process just about a month ago before finaly deciding on my tent. So many options! Just when you think one will be perfect for you someone will suggest another valid option!

8:30 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Use would be like 5 day wilderness camping trips solo(canoe and hiking). Wanted a tent in the 22 sq.ft area. up to 29 sq ft.. A good waterproof tent is a must. Have little bigger tents for two people or more. Also have different and heavier tent for winter camping,alos would not the all screen mesh webbing on these tents make it a cold tent. I cose these three options because they looked like the best three season tents. Yes like mentioned above I do not want a bright orange tent while on a canoe trip in a wilderness area.

9:18 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Have you ever looked into solo tents? I know the solo 3 season that I currently use is pretty roomy inside. I can lay on my back with my hands behind my head and still have over a half a foot in both directions of extra room.

9:31 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

I just bought a Hilleberg Unna (solo tent according to them) but it is 44 inches wide, nearly what other manufactors would call a 2 person tent. Downside is no vestibule.

I would look into Nemo's stuff as well. Hard to find a bad review on them. As I said people here know so much about different brands, sizing, etc that making this thread is just gonna make it harder on yourself! Hahaha jk. (I know because I asked the same question in a forum about 2 months ago!)

9:56 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I have looked into some solo's,but the main ones I looked at were like 26 inches wide(way to small). Something in the 40 inch area would do. It would be nice to come in at 4.5 pounds or less. I wonder sometimes you start downsizing after that your quality level drops off. be in denier thickness,waterproofing or pole strength. Also a few more sq.ft. is nice in a extended down pour and you gain that with just a few more ounces. I will look at the Hillenberg unna on the web. Would like to stay in the $250 range or so. I know the Hubba Hubba is on sale in that range. The Dome T2 is $199.00 right now. Also I do like a vestibule to put muddy and dirty things under or things you want to keep semi dry,but not drag into tent. Very very helpful information so far. It is hard to buy a tent when it is going to be a internet purchase. Sight on seen.

10:32 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The Hillebergs are not cheap. Even the Akto is out of the $250 mark. If you could snag the MSR up for that price I would say go for it.

11:52 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Looks like I can get a Hubba Hubba for $249

2:44 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Alps Mountaineering Mystique 1.5. 4lbs 3oz. 2 vestibules. $169 retail. NOT Freestanding.

mystique-15.pngmystique-15-diagram.png

Materials

Fly: 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta, 1500mm Multi-pass Urethane coating
Floor: 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta, 2000mm Multi-pass Urethane coating
Walls: 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta
Mesh: Nylon No See-um Mesh, 40D
Frame: 8.5 mm 7000 Series Aluminum Poles

Specs

Base Size: 4' x 8'
Center Height: 3'
Vestibule Depth: 20"
Tent Area: 25 sq. ft.
Vestibule Area: 13 sq. ft.
Tent and Fly Weight: 3 lb. 14 oz.
Total Weight: 4 lb. 3 oz.
Packed Size: 5.5 " x 18"
Pole Diameter: 8.5 mm
Color: Grey/Coal/Sage/Rust
Style: Two-pole Non-Freestanding
Use Rating: 3 Season
Sleeps: One plus gear

10:21 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Thanks you all I bought a Hubba Hubba tent and footprint. Thanks for the good advice. Hope to give a review before summer is out.

10:40 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good deal. As long as you are happy. That's that main thing. Keep us posted on how it works out for ya.

1:39 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Last weekend on an overnight with my 9 year old son, we were able to sit side by side and play a board game in the Hubba Hubba.  We could have got another 6 plus footer in there (I would be the other 6 plus footer - not my son...; )  )

2:41 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Try considering a couple of MH Skyledge  tents

http://www.rei.com/CompareProduct/User?storeId=8000

2:54 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Tent dimensions are typically measured from grommet to grommet by manufacturers so the dimensions are "iffy" at best.

I know although large inside my Copper Spur 1 measures 40" at the head and 30" at the feet(manufacturers specs) but I have found the interior to be a bit less than this. I just can't remember the numbers off the top of my head.

Just figured I would throw that out there for future reference.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply